Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Car Camera Mount

Thread: (2009) Car Camera Mount

(2009) Car Camera Mount

Seeing so many cars with camera mounted on them and seeing the benefit of recording your runs, I am thinking about buying a car camera mount. I know it's an easy DIY to make an interior camera mount but I want to mount the camera outside so I need a real car camera mount. I saw two options on ebay:

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PanaVise-CCT...d=p3286.c0.m14

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Windshield-S...d=p3286.c0.m14

Which one would you get? Thanks.

Item #1 is what I have used this year. Seems to work well for me.

PanaVise is the one that I've heard most people use. I think either option looks good.

I'm using a CruiseCam that I picked up from OG Racing. It does everything I need.

Nice Cinnamon interior... I mean... How much is that thing? I'd be happy to pay for a turn-key solution like that as well. Do you have any sample videos from it online?
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Nice Cinnamon interior... I mean... How much is that thing? I'd be happy to pay for a turn-key solution like that as well. Do you have any sample videos from it online?
    The mount is the CruiseCam. Goes for around $40.

For the camera - I use the Aiptek HD camera. Records at 720p for about $70. You can get 1080 resolution for ~$150 or so.

For my use I put a standard adjustable swivel between the camera and the mount that allows me to aim it at any angle.

ETA: I don't have any online videos (I just shoot them for my own self-critique). The video is pretty good - like all video usually limited by the quality of the lens. Keep in mind that such cameras pick up a LOT of wind buffeting noise. You can get a few with an external microphone jack (that you can bury somewhere in the car out of the wind). You can also retro-mod the Aipteks. Instructions are on the web if you feel confident with some minor electronic hands-on).
    Last edited by Alan; 08-31-2009 at 08:31 PM.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a bar for a camera mount. Unfortunately it only fits E30 2-door cars. Send a personal message if interested.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I use a Cruise Cam mount with an older point-and-shoot digital camera (Cannon SD750). It works really well.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

I too use the Cruise Cam mount. Picked it up at OG Racing for less than $40. It works great!
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

I guess it's the Cruise Cam mount for use inside the car and the panavise for use outside the car. It depends on whether I want to put the camera inside or outside the car.

As far as the camera, which one gives better result, mini dv tape format or point and shoot digital camera with video capability? I have both and just want to know from experience which one will give better result. Thanks all. I know mini dv is a pain to download .

Something without moving parts seems to work best. So if it's on a memory stick and doesn't have a mechanical zoom or focus, it seems to work best in motorsports applications. The Aiptek A-HD is really the best bang for the buck.

Here's a pretty good read: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ight=hd+camera
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

FWIW, I'm using a Sanyo HD-1000. It used to be a more expensive camera, but I'm sure it can be had for much cheaper now. It does 720p60 or 1080i30 to SDHC cards in AVCHD format. Couldn't ask for better. Higher image quality than an aiptek, but yes it does cost a bit more.

Their newer HD-1010 does 1080p. It wasn't out when I bought mine unfortunatly. It makes a great all around camcorder / shooter, good enough to do your home videos and not just motorsport.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Thread Information