Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Turbo Lag 335xi

Thread: Turbo Lag 335xi

Turbo Lag 335xi

I just had the high pressure fuel pump replaced in my 2007 335xi. When I got the car back it had a noticeable turbo lag that was not there before. Also the exhaust note and volume changed - much quieter now. I notice on the job sheet that in addition to replacing the pump they "program per gw code 80676090". Anyone had this problem or know what that programming code is? I am taking the car back Monday, but can use any info anyone has on this. There was something very similar to this in the letters section of the January ROUNDEL.

I don't know the details, but you can find out more about this on e90post.com. I did read there that the reprogram has the effect you mention. I can't recall if it is reversible or not.

As in your case, some people reported that when they were in for service generally (not only the HPFP), the dealer changed ("updated") the software on their own without request or permission.

I had my HPFP replaced at Tischer about 6 months or so ago in my 335, they did not reprogram so I haven't had the symptoms you mention.

Supposedly BMW is planning to release a software update that will solve this. In the meantime, you're ****ed.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I have a 2008 335i Coupe that I purchased last January. I had to have the fuel pump replaced at 5000 miles. I got the software update, but my problem is not the Turbo Lag, but transmission lag. When I come to a stop (light or sign), I give it gas and it jerks out of the stop. I don't believe this is Turbo since I am not gunning it.

I have brought it up to the Sterling BMW folks several times and I get the BS answer of, "that's the way it's supposed to be" - BS!

Unfortunately, I've learned to live it. I am hoping one of the subsequent updates fixes this. I can't be the only one having this problem.

the progman update to fix the turbo lag is now available. i've read that many folks say its a huge improvement; waiting to get mine updated shortly
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by mdepena View Post
    I have a 2008 335i Coupe that I purchased last January. I had to have the fuel pump replaced at 5000 miles. I got the software update, but my problem is not the Turbo Lag, but transmission lag. When I come to a stop (light or sign), I give it gas and it jerks out of the stop. I don't believe this is Turbo since I am not gunning it.

I have brought it up to the Sterling BMW folks several times and I get the BS answer of, "that's the way it's supposed to be" - BS!

Unfortunately, I've learned to live it. I am hoping one of the subsequent updates fixes this. I can't be the only one having this problem.
    Put it in DS mode. The 335 auto tranny is awful off the line - it wants to start in 2nd, but is too easily persuaded to drop to 1st.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I think there may be updated software already out to alleviate the turbo lag. Check out this blog post:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/02/26...pdate-335-etc/

Quote Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
    I think there may be updated software already out to alleviate the turbo lag. Check out this blog post:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/02/26...pdate-335-etc/
    Thanks for the post. My 335i falls into the production range (Jan '08) listed. I'll absolutely pester the dealer for the upgrade.

As MF44 and others said, it turns out there is a fix for the turbo lag. The turbo lag apparently got programmed in when I had the HPFP replaced (note: the passenger occupancy sensor was replaced at the same time and that could have been the reason for the reprogramming). So using the bulletin MF44 referenced, the car was reprogrammed to "reinstall the original waste gate operation" and it now runs fine again. The bulletin is SI B11 12 07 dated February 2009 and available at:http://www.bimmerfile.com/wp-content...wn54update.pdf

It would seem that whenever a 335 is taken to BMW for service, there is a chance that it will get a new program and that program may introduce the turbo lag unless the mechanic overrides the defaults.

Go to Passport. Ask for Stephen Heath. Tell him I (Algie) sent you. Be sure to ask Stephen if David will be working on your car. David, the tech that works on Stephen's cx cars will know what issues you are having. They just updated my software (w/ my permission to 32 b/c the OBC was saying I had no oil in the engine. They knew I was concerned about introducing the turbo lag issue w/ sw updates, but he said b/c my build date was from a certain time the DME for that area would not be touched. So they are more than aware of what the issues are. I showed David and Stephen the e90 thread months ago. Stephen will let you talk directly to David if need be.
    Enjoy the nice comfy lounge upstairs w/ internet and business center. If you can't wait around for hours be sure to ask for a loaner when you make the appt. Passport gives out BMW loaners.

By the way Bogdan also works @ Passport.
    MY ED TRIP REPORT
    ED @ Welt 27.10.07 l Drop-Off Bremerhaven 05.11.07 l Made Port NJ 26.11.07 l PCD 21.12.07
    2008 E92 335i Barbera Red l Saddle Brown l Aluminum Trim l ZSP l ZCW l ZPP l CA l Nav l HD Radio l 6MT l PDC l 6FL

NCC Tours Chair
    NCC ChapterFest Chair
    NoVa Social Rep

I took my 335i in this past week and had a transmission update done. I wanted to to do the Turbo Lag update, but the Sterling BMW rep talked me out of it. Saying that it would significantly increase the noise level and that he didn't recommend it and I might not be happy with the outcome.

He did say that if I really wanted it, they would do it.

What gives with the noise level? I never really noticed any noise to begin with, but I did notice (at least to me) a reduction in the exhaust note after the fuel pump was replaced and the computer updated.

mdepena - Your car probably will be louder than it is now if you get the Turbo Lag update. It will probably be like it was before you had the fuel pump replaced. If you are noticing lag and don't like it, I would get the Update. Hey, if you don't like the noise after the Update, it can always be taken out with the next computer update you get. See the post above from bimmernupe. If you are close to Passport that may be the place to go. I had the Update done at VOB in Rockville. The service advisor I dealt with was the Burgundy Team - Jeff Doss. I didn't get the name of the mechanic that actually did the work.

Thread Information