Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
New to site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to site

New to site

Hi ,
    I'm Andrew and new to the world of BMW. I just bought a 1990 325 and had a few questions. After warm the car will won't idle. And was wondering if the speedo is cable driven. Speedo does not work. Where is the best site for new and used parts. I'm in howard co maryland. The car is in good shape but needs some work. Thanks

Hi Andrew, welcome to our site. I can't answer your question, but they'll be some people at tonight's social that could easily answer it. Since you're so close, hope you can stop by.

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=4550
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

I will make the meeting. Thanks A Curtis

Check bimmerforums.com for more info than you could ever want....model specific section is usually best. Stay out of the regional section for anything serious.

Pelicanparts.com and unofficialbmw.com are great resources. Get a Bentley manual ASAP if you can afford the $75....it will pay dividends.

Locally, Tischer BMW has great online prices...buy online, pick them up in person. Their website is getbmwparts.com

Hope this helps....who's A Curtis?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

didnt take much to twist your arm

now, i gotta find someone who can answer your question.....j/k

they'll be plenty of gearheads that can help, including quite a few DIYers
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

The speedo (along with the rest of the instrument cluster) is electronic. It receives its signal from the differential. Could be a bad connector or wire from the diff, or it could be a problem with the cluster - which is notorious for failures of various types.

Idle problem might be the idle control valve. If you have a 325 (not a 325i?), then I'm not too sure. Definitely pick up the Bentley manual. It's less than $40 and is indispensable for the DIY mechanic.
    Scott Lowrey

Andrew's car should be a 325i (unless the engine was replaced with an older eta version!).
    R3vlimited forum is also helpful.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Been to the Beemer forum and pelican parts. Both good resources. I found answers to both questions. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Having no history on the car, I need to change the timing belt and all the rest of the belts do a tuneup,valve adjustment change all vac and water hoses brakes and suspension check. Figure out the idle and speedo problems and I Need a couple small interior parts. I did this to a 90 Miata 2 years ago along with a new interior wheels and tires top and paint job. So I know what I'm in for. LOL A Curtis would be me. A Curtis

P.S. enjoyed the meeting. Sorry I Didn'T talk to more people. Table space was scarce. Hope to get to know more of the crowd. A Curtis

i am going with the simple hard to fine vacuum leak, but more information is needed. you car is old and i would guess has close to 200k if not more.

is it different in hot vs cold weather? does the car die or just idle really rough? what are the rpms at idle?

bentley manual will help like other suggested.

The car has 150000 with a non working speedo. I just got the car last week. Starts fine and after 5 or 6 minutes it just starts to idle down more and more till it quits. I think you are right about the vacuum leak. That is part of what I am doing to the car. Lines look rough. One more question. Should gas come out of the vacuum line going to the intake from the fuel pressure regulator? Thanks A Curtis

No gas should not be doing that. I assume the regulator needs to be replaced.

Check the intake elbo ribs for cracks. I over looked that part for years when i had idle problems.(only happened when really cold)

It could be a combination of things, but when you get it running well again it will be a great car.

For great information from a large group of e30 owner who actually work on their cars, you cant beat the e30 yahoo group.

Jared
    E30=best car bmw built
    Last edited by 87325is; 11-15-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add Info

Thanks
    I thought that the pressure regulator should not be doing that as well. I'm sure it a good car but it has been negleted for years. I get a kick out of fixing the up. You have a link to the yahoo group? A Curtis

If it's alright with everyone I am going to make this thread an ongoing saga. I ordered most of the vac lines a timing belt and water pump tuneup stuff and the boot that goes to the throttle body from the mass air flow meter. I drained the oil the other day and got around to getting the oil and filter and trans and rear end lube. So I figured I would spend 25 minuets doing that. WRONG. Who has a allen wrench ThAT big in their tool set. I took a metric bolt with the same head and a pair of vice grips and worked with PB Blaster and a heat gun for an hour and a half, nothing. both the fill and drain are froze up. I'll pick up the allen wrench tomorrow and try it with a breaker bar if the PB doesn't do it. I did have a wrench for the rear end that came loose. The oil plug was kinda tight so someone has been doing a king kong on the bolts. I wanted to get some picks and I will and post a link to them when I not so pissed. Anti seize on everything for now on. LOL After I get the trans changed I will start taking the engine apart for the timing belt and valve adjustment. A Curtis

I have the hex head somewhere in the tool box if you dont find one. 17mm rings a bell.

the e30 group is:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...ec=group&slk=1
    Last edited by 87325is; 11-17-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Thread Information