Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Warm shifter

Thread: Warm shifter

Question Warm shifter

I have an e36 M3. I noticed today that after driving a little while the bottom of my shift knob was a little warm. I lay the top of my hand on the shift boot and it was also warm. When I pulled up shift boot and put my hand on the shifter itself it was fairly warm. Has anyone else had this occur with them and is it normal?

It's completely normal. The shifter is a complete metal linkage to the transmission. When the transmission gets hot, it will transfer heat into the shift linkage, the selector arm, and ultimately the shifter itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    It's completely normal. The shifter is a complete metal linkage to the transmission. When the transmission gets hot, it will transfer heat into the shift linkage, the selector arm, and ultimately the shifter itself.
    I don't remember mine getting that hot before.
    I've just noticed it over the past couple months on mine.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

If you are noticing more heat than normal, best check your transmission oil. The less oil you have in the tranny, the hotter the bits will get!

Cheers,
    Alan

Exclamation

Can someone who has an infrared thermometer test the temps of the shifter after a good city/highway drive? I did mine and I got temps between 125-135 degrees and that is too high. Thanks.

You may want to check under the cosmetic boot to verify your rubber boot is contiguous.

see http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=25&fg=05

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post
    You may want to check under the cosmetic boot to verify your rubber boot is contiguous.

see http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=25&fg=05
    A rubber boot around a conductor will not change the surface temperature of the conductor.

Rubber Boot Tear Was the Cause of our Hot Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    A rubber boot around a conductor will not change the surface temperature of the conductor.
    We experienced a hot shifter on our E28 and the cause was a tear in the rubber boot which allowed hot air to flow into the void under the leather boot. Once replaced, the shifter temperature returned to normal.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post
    We experienced a hot shifter on our E28 and the cause was a tear in the rubber boot which allowed hot air to flow into the void under the leather boot. Once replaced, the shifter temperature returned to normal.
    I stand corrected even though the amount of heat transfer from ambient air is very minimal.

Exclamation

Turns out the tranny fluid was a little low. Topped her off and she has normal temps. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information