Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
1988 M6: Where does this coolant overflow hose connect?..

Thread: 1988 M6: Where does this coolant overflow hose connect?..

1988 M6: Where does this coolant overflow hose connect?..

I noticed a leak in the hose that leaves the aft outlet of the coolant overflow bottle on my E24 M6. I connected a new hose to the bottle but I cannot find where the other end connects deep inside the firewall. My initial solution was just to run a long section of new hose over into the wheel well thinking that this would result in minimum leakage... It wasn't the case... Every time I drive the M6 for a long period of time and then park it; it dumps coolant on the garage floor by the next morning. The aft part of the original hose is still there but I need to know how to get to it and how to (fully) install the new hose. I recently broke my digital camera so this picture isn't even from my car. I will try to uload some more relevant pictures this weekend I know this is all excessively vague info but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Orlando

[IMG]file:///D:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Orlando.taylor/Desktop/M6coolantres..JPG[/IMG]
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Orlando,
    Can't see the picture. You can't link a pic directly from your desktop - you need a host like Photobucket.com.
    If you're only losing coolant upon expansion, direct the overflow hose where it won't cause pooling and potential rust in some unseen corner of your chassis. The one on my E28 exits the engine compartment between the brake hard lines in the driver's front wheel well.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thumbs up

John,

Thanks for the advice. I will try the wheel well location as you suggested. There seems to be a large amount of coolant being released close to a liter. It made me think that perhaps the line fed back into the radiator at some point after going into the firewall. When I went to Sharkfest earlier this year I noticed that some 6er owners didn't bother to have a hose attached to their overflow reservoir at all. I guess when they had over flow it just sprayed in side thier engine compartment... Hmmm....
    I'll see you at the next event!

Thanks again!
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

If your thermostat is acting up, it can cause coolant eruption in the overflow tank and excessive loss from the reservoir. Have you run the car at idle for a while to observe it?
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information