Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
So I bought this '99 Tahoe..

Thread: So I bought this '99 Tahoe..

Angry So I bought this '99 Tahoe..

I bought a '99 Chevy Tahoe Ducks Unlimited version a couple of months ago. I'm afraid I got a little too excited and didn't do much checking except Carfax. The car had warranty on it from Warrantech Automotive, Inc. So I figured "what can go wrong?".

Well, everything went wrong. First I had top replace the head gasket and radiator. I had it at Chevrolet so that the warranty would cover it. Didn't happen. Warrantech would not accept it because it wasn't called in before the repair, and the previous owner had used up "their patence" with late claims.

Next time it goes in the shop, I'm told it needs a new engine because of bad main bearings (knocking from bottom of engine) and metal in oil, pluss a new transmission that is slipping, and a new cat. Approx. $12,0000 in repairs. I bought the car for $8k. Now Warrantech won't cover it because it got modifications. It's got a K&N conefilter installed. And my contract says it's void if any modifications that potentially can cause the engine to breakdown is installed. So I called K&N and asked if the filter will cause the engine to break down. They are looking into it.

Bottomline: This winter I will have to spend rebuilding a stupid Chevy V8 engine and an aut. transmission instead of working on my 528i and/or my trackcar. I don't even know where to begin except for the Internet and my Haynes manual. Any tips anyone? I can't afford to replace the engine or transmission, but I'm willing to spend time and sweat. Maybe I'll learn something.

Warrantech Automotive, Inc. definitely sucks

just buy a crate motor or a used engine. chevy v8's are too cheap to bother rebuilding.

I guess I've decided to try rebuilding the engine myself. Maybe I'll learn something useful

K&N wants me to sue Warrantech Automotive and the previous owner. they say it's illegal to dismiss a claim without proving it's the airfilter causing the damage. I don't think I want to go through paperwork and crap for this. rebuilding doesn't seem that hard. The trans though might get a little pricey, but by the time I get that far I've spent so much money on gas by not driving the car, that I can just pay to get a new one

Banned
    You used to be able to rebuild a GM turbo 350 for approx $400 in parts.
    Not that difficult with the manuals and if you take your time. Not sure
    about newer GM trannies. Just make sure the case isnt cracked etc.
    You may want to check salvage yards and pick an engine and tranny
    up a decent price with a warranty

If you do the rebuild yourself you may want to ask clubmembers with experience to come over and assist.

Take you time, dont scimp and replace parts etc and replace all nuts and bolts.

And start looking for a reputable machine shop now. Also consider the block maybe trashed and not suitable for rebuilding.

Dave Apker

Thread Information