Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Tansmission Problem 2000 323i! Serious!!!

Thread: Tansmission Problem 2000 323i! Serious!!!

Angry Tansmission Problem 2000 323i! Serious!!!

I'm frustrated because I had to push my 323i 2000 on the road. It won't work in reverse mode. A couple of threads say it is transmission breakdown and it costs more than 4k to replace it. It is sort of common issue for 323i. Sometimes, it comes back, though.

I cannot afford it now. My 323i is 80K and cost me a lot to replace a plastic coolant tank at 70k. Big breakdowns twice a year! What an unreliable bimmer!

Can I drive in only D mode for a while or should I replace it ASAP?

You should replace it ASAP... Unfortunately, almost all of those cars (I have the exact same one) experience transmission failure between 80-90k miles. Mine went at 85k. When my transmission failed, like yours, it started with reverse. Within a couple of days 1st dissapeared on me, with 2nd going quickly.
    Sorry to say, but you don't have much of a choice with waiting - it'll crap out entirely soon.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Question How did you do for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet View Post
    You should replace it ASAP... Unfortunately, almost all of those cars (I have the exact same one) experience transmission failure between 80-90k miles. Mine went at 85k. When my transmission failed, like yours, it started with reverse. Within a couple of days 1st dissapeared on me, with 2nd going quickly.
    Sorry to say, but you don't have much of a choice with waiting - it'll crap out entirely soon.

Thanks, Diriclet.

At now, My real concern is Could I run my car in only D mode for a while. Is it safe? Cuase I cannot afford it now.

Did you replace it with a brand new trans? How much is it?

I would say that it's not really safe to keep running it b/c it can and will crap out on you soon, possibly leaving you stranded... I got a new transmission installed, and yeah, it was like $4500. But, that was at a dealership - I've learned better since... :/
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Wink Thanks Diriclet!

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet View Post
    I would say that it's not really safe to keep running it b/c it can and will crap out on you soon, possibly leaving you stranded... I got a new transmission installed, and yeah, it was like $4500. But, that was at a dealership - I've learned better since... :/

I've just reviewed all your threads, which are very helpful. I'm also likely to decide a new one. Only issue is my wallet.

BTW, which dealer did your job, I mean which one is the best? 4700 is the total price? Permanent replacement sounds attractive, but I have to go to the same dealer forever.

Thanks, again

Thread Information