Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Virginia BMWCCA License Plate? - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Virginia BMWCCA License Plate?

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    It has been tried in the past, and never made it all the way through. There is a process to do it, but you need to get 350 people committed and paid ahead of time. See http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/p...or_special.pdf for the process.

Kevin
    I just want to make sure I understand this. Let me know if this is accurate:

0) Some sort of instructions would have to be written up, maybe a sample VSA10, as well as some expectation setting about the timetable and how long the $$ might be sitting before something happens. This could be posted at local shops/dealerships as well as put into the newsletter and on the front page of the website.

1) 350 people need to do the following:
    a) fill out this form. Those people need to have up to date registrations in VA for the car in question.
    b) Send the form, $25 (plus another $10 for personalized messages) and certification of membership (if necessary) to some central organizing person
    c) wait patiently for the 350 person cap to be hit (probably more than 350, in case people move away).

2) Once that cap is hit, and the central organizing person has 350+ applications, $8750 (350 x 25), and some proof of membership for those 350 applicants, then the central organizing person sends the following to the DMV:
    -the $$
    -the applications (organized into 3 categories)
    -permission to use the logo
    -the actual artwork in vector format

3) DMV sends back a metal prototype of the plate which has to be blessed by the coordinator.

4) Once blessed, smooth sailing?

What I don't see in the PDF document is how the state legislators are involved in the process - or are they the sponsor?

This doesn't sound too terrible - and once it's done, it's done, right? It won't expire?

The biggest hurdles I see is who creates the escrow account, and getting the word out.

This document from the VA DMV should provide more information to a majority of your questions. http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df9qg2xn_0c2d3x7dv

We do have access to BMW's CCA account for an escrow account and at last check about a year ago we do have over 350 interested parties for this plate.

The last and largest hurdle is getting the state legislators involved. The first paragraph of the linked document talks about the legislator.

If you're outside northern Virginia or want to take a stab at contacting your VA legislator, any help is welcome!

It has been about a month since I last contacted mine

Dear Mr. [BD]

Senator Puller asked me to let you know that she would be glad to enter the necessary legislation for you if you can get the required number of pre-sold plates.

Just let us know.

Kate [lastname]
    Legislative Aide
    703 xxx-xxxx
    So, that's cool

If anyone is taking the lead on organizing this, let me know and I'll forward you the original email. Hopefully she is still around after November!

John

Excellent!!

I still have the list of interested parties as of last winter. I can circulate again to see where we are on the list and with nccbwmcca.

Definitely send along any information you have and stay in contact with your gov contacts.

Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    So, that's cool

If anyone is taking the lead on organizing this, let me know and I'll forward you the original email. Hopefully she is still around after November!

John

Quote Originally Posted by mtnstpr View Post
    Excellent!!

I still have the list of interested parties as of last winter. I can circulate again to see where we are on the list and with nccbwmcca.

Definitely send along any information you have and stay in contact with your gov contacts.

Update?

Excellent!!

Send it to where? Drop me a PM or email me

jjw - bmwcca at johntology
    dot org

Exclamation

Update?
    Chicane
    2001 E46 M3 - Jet Black [6 speed]
    1996 E36 M3 - Alpine White [5 speed]
    1988 E24 635CSi [Rare factory 5 speed]
    2000 E46 323i - Silver

I was curious about this too!! I think I am officially on the list for two sets, but would now be interested in 4 sets if I can keep 2 of my vaintys.

Thanks!
    Willy Lutz
    1990 Schwarz 325is
    1991 Brillantrot M3
    1991 Macao Blau M Technic
    2003 Mystic Blau 330i ZHP

We have a state rep agreed to submit our plate to the state assembly and the numbers are good last I checked.

Next, would be to collect everyone's money and paper work and send along to Richmond.

I'll drop a msg with the group's treasurer if we can still use the checking account and po box. Or if you know who I should contact about this, please msg me. Thanks!

I would be happy to jump in on this as well if we've got use of the escrow account.

The real question is what would the plate look like? I suppose it would have the blue and white CCA logo on the left side and have 5-6 letter spaces available next to it. What would be across the bottom? Probably couldn't fit "National Capital Chapter" on there...

I'll make a deposit as well if it gets setup.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    ...The real question is what would the plate look like? I suppose it would have the blue and white CCA logo on the left side and have 5-6 letter spaces available next to it. What would be across the bottom? Probably couldn't fit "National Capital Chapter" on there...
    I don't think the Tidewater and Blue Ridge chapters would appreciate "National Capital Chapter" on there even if it did fit

I would be in for one plate if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ronh21 View Post
    I don't think the Tidewater and Blue Ridge chapters would appreciate "National Capital Chapter" on there even if it did fit
    Fair point! But, to the organizers go the spoils!
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

We have a state rep agreed to submit our plate to the state assembly and the numbers are good last I checked.

Next, would be to collect everyone's money and paper work and send along to Richmond.

I'll drop a msg with the group's treasurer if we can still use the checking account and po box. Or if you know who I should contact about this, please msg me. Thanks!

I believe the treasurer agreed to handle the money the last time I checked but that was a while ago, better double check.
    Chicane
    2001 E46 M3 - Jet Black [6 speed]
    1996 E36 M3 - Alpine White [5 speed]
    1988 E24 635CSi [Rare factory 5 speed]
    2000 E46 323i - Silver

I just sent my msg to the treasurer and I believe it is the same gentlemen I spoke with over a year ago. Hopefully we can use the groups account to collect the money upfront.

Here is a link to the mock up plate http://bmwccavaplates.posterous.com/645525

Vanity plates will have up to 6 characters available and you can transfer your current vanity plate to this plate when it is ready.

The plate would be ready after I collect 350 applications with fees, submit to Richmond, and a state legislator will have to put on the ballot to vote on. After the state has approved the plate, then plates will be available. The process could possibly take up to 12-24 months.

The fees are $10 for the BMW CCA plate or $20 for the BMW CCA vanity plate. If I missed any other questions, let me know.

I just sent my msg to the treasurer and I believe it is the same gentlemen I spoke with over a year ago. Hopefully we can use the groups account to collect the money upfront.

Here is a link to the mock up plate http://bmwccavaplates.posterous.com/645525

Vanity plates will have up to 6 characters available and you can transfer your current vanity plate to this plate when it is ready.

The plate would be ready after I collect 350 applications with fees, submit to Richmond, and a state legislator will have to put on the ballot to vote on. After the state has approved the plate, then plates will be available. The process could possibly take up to 12-24 months.

The fees are $10 for the BMW CCA plate or $20 for the BMW CCA vanity plate. If I missed any other questions, let me know.
    Has nationals approved the design? You cannot use the logo without written consent of the national organization.

Thread Information