Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Harness Bar

Thread: Harness Bar

Harness Bar

Can you have a harness bar installed for 6 point harness's for Driving Schools or must you use your regular seatbelts. Right now I have a harness bar with Cobra fixed seats and Six point restraint system. Everyones help on this is appreciated!

I don't believe a harness bar is an appropriate place to mount harnesses.
    Is this the type of bar that goes between the B pillars?
    What belts do you have and what do the instructions say?

My harness bar is used for a camera mount only.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    Many years ago at a tech session by OG on helmets, harnesses etc BIll the owner said that harness bars arent safe and could collapse. He stated only safe way to mount a harness was with a roll bar or cage. NCC really needs another tech session like this. Maybe the technology has improved.
    The other problem is without a bar do you really want to be held securely in your seat in a rollover? Not in an E36 coupe you dont.

Also remember you have to have similar belts for both yourself and instructor. No 6 pt for you and 3 pt for the instructor.

And what type of car? NCC doesnt allow cabs in their schools.

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Many years ago at a tech session by OG on helmets, harnesses etc BIll the owner said that harness bars arent safe and could collapse. He stated only safe way to mount a harness was with a roll bar or cage. NCC really needs another tech session like this. Maybe the technology has improved.
    The other problem is without a bar do you really want to be held securely in your seat in a rollover? Not in an E36 coupe you dont.

Also remember you have to have similar belts for both yourself and instructor. No 6 pt for you and 3 pt for the instructor.

And what type of car? NCC doesnt allow cabs in their schools.

Dave Apker and the collies
    I have a 95 M3 and a 2005 Vert. The 95 M3 is what I am refering too! I have a harness bar with Schroth Sixpoints both sides. Why are harness bars sold if not to properly install harness's.

I believe in a roll over your screwed no matter what. The best set up for the track is a full cage, but if you don't have a cage, nor a roll bar, and you do have the harness bar is that ok? I plan on attending all the schools this year and need to know if my car that is set up with the same restraints for both passenger and driver is acceptable.

While I am asking questions....I might as well ask if my fixed back seats are ok too? I can't fit into my car with the sparco sliders so my driver and passengfer seat is fixed.

Banned
    In an E36 Coupe/M3 I would not enter a track event with a harness bar. Doubtful if I would enter without a rollbar or cage because of the roof does like to collapse on these cars in the event of rollover.

I assume if the car will pass tech and then it would be up to the instructor if he/she wants to get into your car.

The fixed back seats would be fine at the track with a helmet. On the street without a helmet you do run the risk of whiplash and other cervical and head injuries in an accident.

Dave Apker and collies

Quote Originally Posted by CAB IN BLACK M3 View Post
    Why are harness bars sold if not to properly install harness's.
    I suppose it depends on the type of harness bar and how it's installed.
    My harness bar is secured to the bolts on the B pillars where the stock seatbelts are secured to. Even with it as tight as I can go, there is still some movement. Plus the angle may be all wrong for harnesses. I use the 4-point Schroths that tie into the existing system so I never really looked into it any other harnesses.
    I'll PM you a phone number to call.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Kirk Harness bar and there is absolutely no movement in my system and the harness belts are installed per instructions. I might be getting a roll bar anyway...but needed to check to make sure I was good to go if I decided against.

My 95 is only used for autox and will be using it for the track hopefully!

Thread Information