Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Replacing Drive Shaft Guide Bushing?

Thread: Replacing Drive Shaft Guide Bushing?

Replacing Drive Shaft Guide Bushing?

After dropping the drive shaft to replace a blown guibo, I noticed that the guide bushing in the end of the drive shaft is shot. I've ordered a replacement, but I'm wondering how to remove the broken one.

The bearing is pressed in. Bentley says to pack the end of the shaft with heavy grease, insert a 14mm mandrel, and hit the mandrel with a hammer. The compressed grease will push the bearing out. That might work real swell if I had a perfect 14mm hole in the bushing - but then I wouldn't be replacing it, would I?

I tried gripping the bearing with channel lock pliers but it's tight. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive Shaft End and Guibo S.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	218  
    Last edited by Scotty; 10-08-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    Scott Lowrey

Just an update/how-to for those who may care:
    • Mark the fore and aft sections of the driveshaft so they can be lined up later
    • Loosen the clamping collar from the aft section
    • Pull the two drive shaft sections apart
    • Put the foreward section into a vice (gently)
    • Using a hacksaw blade, carefully cut a groove into the worn bushing. Stop when you reach the inner wall of the drive shaft
    • Wedge a screwdriver into the groove and work the bushing loose.
    • Reach in with a bent-tip tool and hook the inside edge of the bushing
    • Pull out the bushing.
    • Clean the recess, coat the inside of the shaft and the new bushing with molybdenum grease
    • Set the new bushing against the recess, place a 2x4 in front of it, and drive the bushing in with a hammer. Leave 4.5 mm of bushing protruding.
    Piece of cake.
    Scott Lowrey

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Just an update/how-to for those who may care:
    • Mark the fore and aft sections of the driveshaft so they can be lined up later
    • Loosen the clamping collar from the aft section
    • Pull the two drive shaft sections apart
    • Put the foreward section into a vice (gently)
    • Using a hacksaw blade, carefully cut a groove into the worn bushing. Stop when you reach the inner wall of the drive shaft
    • Wedge a screwdriver into the groove and work the bushing loose.
    • Reach in with a bent-tip tool and hook the inside edge of the bushing
    • Pull out the bushing.
    • Clean the recess, coat the inside of the shaft and the new bushing with molybdenum grease
    • Set the new bushing against the recess, place a 2x4 in front of it, and drive the bushing in with a hammer. Leave 4.5 mm of bushing protruding.
    Piece of cake.

bravo!
    nicely done!

Thanks! Ready for the 100mph test this weekend at Summit.
    Scott Lowrey

Thread Information