Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E30 Fuel Line Gizmo

Thread: E30 Fuel Line Gizmo

E30 Fuel Line Gizmo

I'm replacing the fuel filter on my E30 ('87 with external main pump). When I got underneath, I found a very rusty gizmo downstream from the filter. Looks like some kind of diaphragm valve or regulator ... no wires or hoses attached to it other than the fuel lines.

Bentley doesn't mention it. Anybody know what this is? Can I get rid of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Line Gizmo.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	204  
    Scott Lowrey

It's called a fuel absorber. It absorbs the pulsing of the fuel pump, like an hydrulic acumelator. It can be eliminated but the pump will start to buzz much like an older VW Golf I.

Thanks! I'm not too concerned about additional noise as long as no damage is being done.
    Scott Lowrey

No, at this point the damage to you fuel system looks like it's done.

Replace the filter and all the hoses in the area. Your car and your safety will thank you. Raw fuel in the area of exhaust is dangerous.

Thread Information