Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
mystery connector...

Thread: mystery connector...

mystery connector...

Cleaning up under the hood the other day on the '87 e30 convertible, I noticed an orange connector coming out of a wire bundle that runs along the fender over the wheel well. Anyone recognize what this might be and what's not plugged into it?

The arrow below shows the bundle of wires:

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Air intake piece that connects on some e30 for the AFM unit.

And what color is that iC? It's metallic what?

Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
    Air intake piece that connects on some e30 for the AFM unit.

And what color is that iC? It's metallic what?
    Does it matter that the thing is not connected? What function does that serve?

Royal blue metallic.

'06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

The positioning is right for a connection to the cruise control servo, which I don't see on your car. If it was there, you would see two throttle cables: one to the accelerator pedal and one that sweeps around the servo, which sits just aft of the ABS unit and driver side headlight.

Doh! I do see the other cable - the servo must be in the shadows.
    Last edited by Scotty; 09-07-2006 at 10:12 AM.
    Scott Lowrey

I've never seen those plugged into anything. Sometimes they will use a harness for several different models. Maybe something they were thinking about adding later..like air bag? I know the bright orange connectors denote airbag. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dan

^ I'll echo what Dan Martin said ^

Similar connectors are present on both my '87 325iS and my '87 635CSi... neither is plugged into anything. The pre-88 Cruise Control servo has a single wire harness that it soldered into the unit (a round plug is found under the dash). The AFM uses a black water-right plug.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post

The pre-88 Cruise Control servo has a single wire harness that it soldered into the unit (a round plug is found under the dash). The AFM uses a black water-right plug.
    Any ideas where to start troubleshooting the cruise control? It's the only major system now that isn't functional. I've replaced all of the fuses. Any relays or typical failure points to start with for troubleshooting?

'06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Checked my car. I've got the same orange connector flopping around where yours is.

Sorry, can't offer any help on the CC.
    Scott Lowrey

Thread Information