Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Mass Air Sensor

Thread: Mass Air Sensor

Mass Air Sensor

How much does a new mass air sensor go for on an E46 (2000) 3-series???
    My car has been stalling, and that's the error code I'm getting... Any help greatly appreciated.

~Colin
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

List is $329

$263.20 with CCA discount from me. I have two in stock.

Have you tried cleaning it?

If you are running an oil charged air filter (e.g. K&N), then the MAF may just be dirty. The oil from the filter can migrate from the filter and deposit on the "hot wire" in the sensor and cause the MAF to misread the air flow.

To clean it, you need to remove it from the car and clean the hot wire with a little bit of alcohol or carb/injecter cleaner.

If that has already been tried, or does not work, then go see Bill.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    Have you tried cleaning it?
    If you are running an oil charged air filter (e.g. K&N), then the MAF may just be dirty. The oil from the filter can migrate from the filter and deposit on the "hot wire" in the sensor and cause the MAF to misread the air flow.
    To clean it, you need to remove it from the car and clean the hot wire with a little bit of alcohol or carb/injecter cleaner.
    If that has already been tried, or does not work, then go see Bill.
    Good information. I was tossing around the idea of a K&N for my 2005 E46; looks like I won't, now.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Because of this issue, and some other concerns with the effectiveness of the K&N filters when they start to get dirty. I only run a K&N filter in my car for autocrosses and track days. I have a regular paper filter for everyday.
    2001 330i (my car)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    I only run a K&N filter in my car for autocrosses and track days.
    You may not even want to do that. See: http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/index.html

CRC makes a HFM cleaner now. If that doesn't work look here http://www.car-parts.com

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    You may not even want to do that. See: http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/index.html
    WOW! More good information. Thanks.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    You may not even want to do that.
    Well, I will admit that I did not notice much difference in performance between the K&N and the paper filters. I will have to check which paper filter I have in the car right now. I am not sure if it is the Mann or the Mahle filter. I think it is the Mahle.
    2001 330i (my car)

I used a K&N filter in my car before I switched to the Cold Air Intake. I noticed a difference over the paper element, but I was cleaning and reoiling about every 6 months. Amsoil has a new line of Air filters made with synthetic nanofiber media that supposedly allows better airflow and longer life (4 years or 100,000 miles) with a simple annual shake-down or vacuuming. If you want more information, check out: http://www.lubedealer.com/btbmotorsp...ductsView.aspx
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

The latest issue of GRM includes an update on their E30 318iS project car... they added a BMP K&N cone and lost 5hp on the dyno. They custom-fit a heat shield and the cone got them back to the pre-cone hp, nothing more.

Hm... :-/

Thread Information