Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Stuck oil filter

Thread: Stuck oil filter

Question Stuck oil filter

I have a very stubborn can-type oil filter that's stuck to the block of my '65 Mustang (I know, not a bimmer in the bimmer forums, tsk tsk). I've tried a strap wrench, a cap wrench and the old 'drive a long screwdriver through the filter as a handle' method, all to no avail (I was admittedly gentle with the last method, for fear of shearing the filter in half and being even more screwed.)

Any sage advice or nuggets of wisdom? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    I have a very stubborn can-type oil filter that's stuck to the block of my '65 Mustang (I know, not a bimmer in the bimmer forums, tsk tsk). I've tried a strap wrench, a cap wrench and the old 'drive a long screwdriver through the filter as a handle' method, all to no avail (I was admittedly gentle with the last method, for fear of shearing the filter in half and being even more screwed.)

Any sage advice or nuggets of wisdom? Thanks.
    Are you sure you are turning it the right direction? How about warming it with a blow dryer so the metal expands?

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

I had the same problem with my MG when I found it in a barn. I used some wd-40 around the edge of the filter and used steady even pressure with a strap wrench to get it off. You may try lightly tapping the filter with a wrench to try and get the rubber loose. How long has that filter been on the car?

I'm definitely turning it the correct way (counter-/anti-clockwise). I'll try the blow drier & strap wrench combo.

The filter's been on the car since Dec 1998 (it was basically abandoned-in-place in my parent's garage when I left NC to go to college), but the car's only seen about 100 miles in that time. I did make sure that the gasket was coated with fresh oil when I did the oil change mid-sophomore year.

BTW, assuming I get the filter off and the oil changed, anyone looking for a solid '65 convertible 289 2BBL, 3-spd that needs paint and some cleaning? :/

Ebay that sucker and make some money of of it. Or ask Pimp my Ride to do it on some 22"s. LOL

Where in NC thou? I have a friend that fixes older muscle in Fayetteville. He's at no hope Pope AFB.

Sounds like a classic car you got there. Do you have any pictures? Not sure I could get the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to buy however

Growing up my mom was the original owner of a 65 fastback with the 289 4BBL, 200 HP with 4 on the floor. What a great car to learn to drive on, and what I breeze to work on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsa328
    ... You may try lightly tapping the filter with a wrench to try and get the rubber loose.
    That's why a 3 lb maul is called a FORD tool!
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Oh but you could as it's a Vert and all ladies like soft tops. I got an E30 Vert for mine last year, now it's awaiting some paint and bodywork work after a brush with a bobcat.

But it's the perfect small family soft top as it doesn't cost all that much to maintain it and insure it for the year.

A bobcat? Geez...

Thread Information