Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Dan's list of local repair shops - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan's list of local repair shops

Talking S38 Engine Mech needed (1988 M6)

I'm looking for a shop that has experience with the S38 ///M6 engine. In or around Fairfax, Virginia or Southern Maryland would be great. My 1988 M6 runs like a charm. I don't want to wait until something goes wrong before I start looking for expert assistance.

Thanks in advance!
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Call RRT in Dulles (703.661.4222). They do good work but not sure about S38.

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post
    I'm looking for a shop that has experience with the S38 ///M6 engine. In or around Fairfax, Virginia or Southern Maryland would be great. My 1988 M6 runs like a charm. I don't want to wait until something goes wrong before I start looking for expert assistance.

Thanks in advance!
    You need to see in VA... J&F Motors
    If you prefer the service in MD.. then Sigy's, or Excluservice in Rockville, or Einstien's in Greenbelt.

Each of these shops is very familiar with the S38 engine and either the owners or at least one of the techs train on them when they were new. It makes a difference.

Paul
    Paul V.
    NCC Concours Chair Emeritus (1991-2004)
    So many cars..so little time!!

work on S38

Marine 3:

You might try Fairfax Service Center. They are at 2850 Prosperity Ave., Merrifield. Phone number is 703-560-1700. Speak to Reese.

RRT experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Call RRT in Dulles (703.661.4222). They do good work but not sure about S38.
    Has anyone had a pre-purchase inspection done at RRT? If so, could you share your experience? Thanks!

I had a post-purchase inspection there. They are excellent and VERY thorough. Highly recommended.
    RRT Racing Crew Member

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post

Thanks in advance!

I second or third the advice to Call RRT and see what they have to say. S38 is an S14 on steroids and they know S14s! Barry and crew are straight shooters and will tell you what their quals are. Good folks and avid supporters of the club. I highly reccomend them.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Another thumbs up for Dan Martins. They did a pre-purchase inspection for me and saved me a TON of money.
    2002 ///M3 Coupe

I'd like to add a note about J&F. A lot of people has talked very nice about J&F and I thought I'd found the perfect place to take my BMWs. But after getting the E30 318iS back after an alignment and track inspection I was very disappointed. First we were quoted that the inspection was going to be put in for free with the alignment. That ended up with $115 extra without notice. Second they argued we had old/bad coolant, when I had personally replaced it a month ago with 50/50 BMW Antifreeze. Third they meant that the brakefluid was bad by looking at it, which can be argued I guess. And fourth, and most important, they said there was an oil leak from the timing chain cover gasket, and "..this car will never make it to the track. You can't change that even with an army before this weekend." Quoted $1200 with new chain. If they would have just done their job right, they would have figured out that the leak was about a drop here, and a drop there, and was coming from the oil filter housing gasket to the engine block. Which even I found out by methodically just shining a light down the engine and doing some M42-engine research. Gasket replaced in a few hours by myself even.

J&F is not the only ones doing a lousy job and arguing they have done the right thing. But I believe it needs to be mentioned along with all the good reviews J&F is getting here. I don't know what other people feel about situations like this, but to me that is not good enough, and far from great.

BMW Excluservice changed management. They now do crap work. I would recommend Dan Martin's Auto in Maryland as well. Sadly, I live in VA now so I can't go there anymore. I'm checking out RRT in the next few weeks. By the way list guy, RRT is $95.00 an hour, not $85.00. They ain't cheap.
    Last edited by Thoreau; 05-17-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Exclamation Best shop for ///M cars in NOVA

Who is the best shop for ///M cars in NOVA or Richmond?
    Last edited by chicane; 08-25-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    Who is the best shop for ///M cars in NOVA or Richmond?
    Who amongst us has had enough work done at every shop in the area to be in a position to give an informed opinion? All you can do is sort through the various recommendations, make some direct phone calls to ask the right questions, pick one, and most important, cross your fingers.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thumb's up for Autowerke/Autoy. I took my car in for an estimate to have the front strut/spring assemblies pulled and new assemblies put in (E39). I told them what stymied me (unable to pop tierod end loose from knuckle) and they told me that contrary to intenet how-to info, no need to remove tierod end. Saved me big bucks and I did the work yesterday afternoon. It was easy as taking candy from babies, not that I recommend that or even giving candy to babies

Seriously, who is the best of the best as far as working on ///M engines in NOVA? I'm really not into throwing darts at board when it comes to my M3?

Arrow M3 work

Chicane,

You will not get a better answer than that from WoodyM3 in comment #42. You have gotten plenty of advice (and Woody's is usually pretty good), and nobody can guarantee that the service you will receive - even at the BMW factory - will be the best.

It is now up to you to do your duty and make your considered choice.

Best of luck!

Alan

Thread Information