Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
V-Spoke Style 285 wheel (17-inch) on my E91 has a crack…

Thread: V-Spoke Style 285 wheel (17-inch) on my E91 has a crack…

Unhappy V-Spoke Style 285 wheel (17-inch) on my E91 has a crack…

My 2011 E91 has V-Spoke Style 285 wheels (17-inch, light-alloy). A couple of weeks before I swapped my winter and simmer tires, one developed a slow leak, so when I had the tires swapped I asked Costco to check. They told me my tire was fine but my wheel had a crack; though safe to drive on, it would leak.

My usual shop recommended a nearby mobile wheel repair outfit, which took a week to get in touch with. They turned out to be "mobile" only in that they go to dealers, not to residences (not even apartment complexes like mine). But, they offered to go to me because I literally live across the street from eight car dealerships (and one of their drivers lives nearby). Then they ghosted me. When I got back in touch with them a week later they said they were busy but I could bring the car and leave it for a couple of days. When I said I couldn't do that and reminded them of their offer, they ghosted me again.

So I went to my dealer. They explained that repairing a cracked wheel is not the best idea, because welding an alloy wheel leaves a weak spot prone to crack again later. (This sounds reasonable.) They offered to source a good used wheel for me. That was three weeks ago. Though I texted them a photo of the wheel to help them search for a replacement, they've ignored follow-up messages and ghosted me as well.

I'm beginning to think it's me

So, here's my situation: MaLColM is not just my daily driver, but my only driver, and I need to be able to transport equipment for my job. (I'm not going to ride-share between Rockville, Lanham, and Bethesda…) Repairing the wheel would supposedly cost $200 but I can't find someone to do that locally and it's not the best idea. My dealer can't seem to find a good used wheel and I'm afraid to buy one online without some sort of warranty, and they don't have any loaner vehicles. A new wheel lists for $414 and the best price I can find online is still over $300.

Are there any other solutions or should I just throw up my hands and order a new wheel online for $320 plus delivery? I'm getting tired of beginning every trip by inflating one tire, and I've missed a LOT of events I might have otherwise gone to because I don't want to drive more than I absolutely have to on a cracked wheel…

Some cracks can be welded - depends on the crack & the skill of the welder. If you've struck out locally with repair, purchase a replacement wheel. Used wheels can also be bent or cracked, so look carefully. WheelsOnsite has a good reputation:
    https://wheelsonsite.com/

Wheel Collision Center in PA has your wheel refinished for $325 - don't know if they'll give you any credit for your cracked core.
    https://www.wheelcollision.com/store...-328I-335I.htm

Good luck!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information