Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Looking for a shop that does quality car window tint - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for a shop that does quality car window tint

Taking it back on Friday to re-tint the back window... Hoping they can do a better job. The dots are a known issue but not a deal breaker for me... Most cars with the dots have this. It's the bubble lines along the defrost and antenna lines that never settled in that make me think the install could have been better. Checked out another similar BMW who had his car done at LA Tint, looks great, dots but no lines along the defrost lines, so I know it can be done. Glad they offered to fix it. I'll let you know...
    Monaco Blue 2010 328ix

Quote Originally Posted by jkxs View Post
    I'm a little nervous because this would be the first car I plan on getting tinted. I'm definitely nit-picky about details, but I am a little relieved to hear that most people consider LA tint in Sterling to be the best around here. I plan on getting my tint waiver from the DMV and then getting 35% all around (not sure what % for sunroof yet). My forester just gets ridiculously hot (especially the sunroof) and so I'm hoping tinting helps reduce most of the heat transfer/reduces the glare from people on the road driving around with their high beams on at night.

I hope that they fix up the tint to your satisfaction, RJPoli. This review on Yelp has me a little worried because I think I might be expecting too much. Seems like the reviewer was expecting the tint to be perfect (which I admit I would hope so, for $480).

Did you by chance have to ask for a warranty card and proof of purchase, showing the type of film and date of installation (items required for Pinnacle warranty)? Or did they just give it to you without asking? Were your tints pre-cut? Did the bubbles show up after a while, or did they just never go away after the initial install? Thank you.
    I grew up in Florida where most cars have some kind of tint, I have a good idea what to expect. Remember, darkness does not necessarily equal heat reduction... And you want to be able to see out at night.

$480 sounds high but could have had some custom work done. Yes I expect perfection, but all cars are different. The dot issue is a new one for me...

They did provide a warrant card, but I don't think my issue is with the film product. They offered to re-tint which I appreciate. I'll let you know...
    Monaco Blue 2010 328ix

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    Does your Forester have a lot of dot matrix around the edges of the window? If so, its very hard to tint over it and have it look right (similar to what PJPoli went through). If you have more than an inch of dot matrix, ask for a black vinyl strip to cover the dots and have them tint up to the vinyl; that's the only way it'll look nice.

I just went out to take a look (pics: http://imgur.com/a/0FqLI) and there is quite a bit of dot matrix on the windshield right in front of the rear-view mirrow. There's none at all on the front side and back side glass, but there is a very thin layer outlining the glass that's on the quarter panel and rear window (couldn't get pics of those because the camera was having trouble zooming in, it was focusing on the reflections).

Quote Originally Posted by RJPoli View Post
    I grew up in Florida where most cars have some kind of tint, I have a good idea what to expect. Remember, darkness does not necessarily equal heat reduction... And you want to be able to see out at night.

$480 sounds high but could have had some custom work done. Yes I expect perfection, but all cars are different. The dot issue is a new one for me...

They did provide a warrant card, but I don't think my issue is with the film product. They offered to re-tint which I appreciate. I'll let you know...
    I don't think that estimate includes any custom work. It would also be extremely easy to apply the tints (unlike a smaller car where tinters have to apply the tint at a weird angle/cramped space). Geoff just gave me that estimate ($389 base and $79-99 for the sunscreen, installed in 2 hours) over the phone when I called him and asked what it would cost to get pinnacle on a 2016 forester. I mentioned that D&V auto body referred me to him, but I don't think that got me a discount.

What % transmittance were you trying to get for your glass? Is it worth getting the windshield tinted if you have the waiver? I know I'm definitely getting 35% on front side, rear side and rear windows, but even with a waiver, windshield is 35% - upper 5 inches to AS-1 line and 70% after that. I know that 50% transmittance doesn't really do much so by comparison, if you got a 70% ceramic tint on the windshield, I'm guessing it would only serve to keep the car a little cooler?

Since tint is graded by the top edge of the glass down, have any of you guys heard of using 1" of lighter tint at the top of the window and darker below that? I don't think I would do it because 35% looks fine to me, but was curious if that was a common thing. It might look a little strange if there's a significant difference in the transmittance % between the top 1" and the rest of the glass. I live in FFX county and so will be staying with a legal % of tint (with the waiver).

Lastly, have any of you guys considered cystalline by 3M? I've seen on other forums it gives a slight brown tint reflection which I don't mind, but was wondering if you guys usually stuck to pinnacle or something else. Hope the tint gets fixed up to be perfect! Thanks for all the help so far everyone

I got FFX Co VA legal, 50% front door windows, 35% rear doors and back window. It's not privacy dark but I do notice a nice break from the sun's heat. I would not recommend getting the windshield tinted, waiver or not. You will get some discoloration with any window tint, especially noticeable if you wear polarized sunglasses, and you don't want that on your windshield... But it's your call.

I took it back for a redo on the back window due to some bubbles along the defrost lines. They were very accommodating and willing to try to make it better. It looks much better this time, less bubbles along the dots and along the defrost lines.
    Monaco Blue 2010 328ix

Quote Originally Posted by RJPoli View Post
    I got FFX Co VA legal, 50% front door windows, 35% rear doors and back window. It's not privacy dark but I do notice a nice break from the sun's heat. I would not recommend getting the windshield tinted, waiver or not. You will get some discoloration with any window tint, especially noticeable if you wear polarized sunglasses, and you don't want that on your windshield... But it's your call.

I took it back for a redo on the back window due to some bubbles along the defrost lines. They were very accommodating and willing to try to make it better. It looks much better this time, less bubbles along the dots and along the defrost lines.
    Good to hear the retint looks much better! I was actually thinking about getting PhotoSync done instead of Pinnacle after reading some reviews of it online. I'll let you guys know if I go through it with.

Thread Information