Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
I think I've been chipped.

Thread: I think I've been chipped.

I think I've been chipped.

Since last May, I've been the proud owner of a 2011 E91 (Automatic, Premium Package, no iDrive). I've gradually realized my car probably has an intriguing backstory I'll probably never know. One chapter, though, is that I suspect one of the two previous owners either did an aftermarket engine re-flash, or bypassed the ECU altogether. And I'd like to at least find out what they did.

When I first learned about coding, and reading engine parameters, and all the other fun you can have via OBD-II, I was all over that. (I'm an IT support guy... I get paid to fight computers all day... Why stop when I get home?) I decided to start gently with Carly for BMW, so I bought a Generation 2 WiFi adapter, downloaded Carly for BMW Lite to verify that everything was working, and... everything wasn't working.

I can always connect to the adapter (that never fails, and my first connection updated the firmware). But, I always get a message saying that though I'm connected, my engine did not respond. In at least a hundred tries over several months I read my engine exactly once; this was roughly my third try, and I decided I had everything figured out and would come back later and gather info to send to myCarly. I never succeeded again.

After exchanging a couple of dozen messages (and sending a dozen session logs), Parvis says my engine responds to normal commands but not BMW-specific ones, which is usually a sign of an aftermarket tune intercepting them. As I know nothing about the previous two owners (or the dealer who imported my car as a demo) I can't rule that out. On one hand I feel like I may have gotten more than I paid for. On the other hand I don't know what I may have gained, but do know I lost the ability to read my engine parameters, which I want to do.

I don't know whether my engine "feels" tuned or not. This is the only BMW I've ever driven so I really can't tell whether I'm having more fun than I should be.

So, how can I find out what I have? A local German tuner shop offered to try to find out what's going on in there, but is that really feasible after-the-fact?

And what Carly communication settings work best under iOS for a 2011 328i xDrive Sports Wagon?

There's very little performance gains for a 328i engine, so your best bet maybe to have your engine re-flashed to OEM. Since you're technically skilled, you can then start over and tune/code to what you want.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    There's very little performance gains for a 328i engine, so your best bet maybe to have your engine re-flashed to OEM.
    As far as I can tell, the only meaningful performance upgrade for the N52 is the 330i's three-stage intake manifold; almost everything else is basically "$1,000 for 5 HP and some noise" unless you go crazy with superchargers or turbochargers and spend much more than just trading up to a 335i. (Or course, I like my Touring, so I can't do that... but I digress...)

I've read that dealers don't like to re-flash. The process often fails, and when that happens, recovering can tie up a service bay for five hours.

The thing is, though, I don't want to just get rid of whatever I have without first finding out what I have...

Some independent shops like RRT might be able to help. Not sure if you've tried e90post, but there's a great deal of tuning/coding info there. Then there's always an n54 swap into your touring

Some independent shops like RRT might be able to help. Not sure if you've tried e90post, but there's a great deal of tuning/coding info there. Then there's always an n54 swap into your touring
    I registered for the Tech Talk w/Mike Miller. I hope to learn more there.

I've never posted on e90post. I probably have that site confused with e90fanatics, which has scared me away every time I've gone browsing there.

I've decided to skip the N54 swap. Instead, I'm holding out for the full Alpina B3 BiTurbo Touring Allrad upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesAustin View Post
    I registered for the Tech Talk w/Mike Miller. I hope to learn more there.

I've never posted on e90post. I probably have that site confused with e90fanatics, which has scared me away every time I've gone browsing there.

I've decided to skip the N54 swap. Instead, I'm holding out for the full Alpina B3 BiTurbo Touring Allrad upgrade.
    Yes, the B3 engine will be a great compromise!

E90post is different and better than e90fanatics; way more legitimate info.

Yes, the B3 engine will be a great compromise!
    B3 engine? I'm upgrading the entire car! I figure that will be an awesome first DIY project!

Scandinavian Import Servicenter agreed to hook my car up to BMW's system before they went home and leave the process running overnight. The next morning, they said the only module that required updating was one which handles the immobilizer and some other dashboard stuff. So if there IS some sort of third-party tune, BMW's official system doesn't detect it.

Meanwhile, Carly still only sees my engine about 2% or the time, though it sees everything else. I suppose I should remind them about their offer to exchange my adapter. After that, I dunno...

Thread Information