Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Transmission Shop Recommendation in NoVA

Thread: Transmission Shop Recommendation in NoVA

Transmission Shop Recommendation in NoVA

Hi.

'95 M3 w/240k on what I believe is original tranny. My mechanic is telling me the lay/counter balance shaft in the tranny is bad and making the marbles in a tin cup sound I hear when clutch is not engaged.

Before I hand over my paycheck for a new tranny, want a second opinion. Anyone recommend a good transmission shop in the NoVA area?

Thanks.

FLi
    FLi GLi
    '95 M3 (track build in progress)
    '03 911 C4S (DD)
    '06 325xiT (hauler; winter beater)
    5 (hauler)

Quote Originally Posted by FLi GLi View Post
    Hi.

'95 M3 w/240k on what I believe is original tranny. My mechanic is telling me the lay/counter balance shaft in the tranny is bad and making the marbles in a tin cup sound I hear when clutch is not engaged.

Before I hand over my paycheck for a new tranny, want a second opinion. Anyone recommend a good transmission shop in the NoVA area?

Thanks.

FLi
    Well, first things first:

1) Do you have a lightweight flywheel installed? If so, the noise is normal. Ignore it, or put in a stock clutch.

2) Are you so bothered by the noise that you need to get it fixed? Your sig says "track build," which says to me that you should ignore it. If you are on a stock clutch, it could mean that the dual mass portion of your flywheel is failing. (I would still ignore it unless the clutch needs to be replaced anyway.)

3) Used 5spd ZF transmissions are very plentiful in the $200-400 range. Although the '95 uses the ZF310, you can plug and play the ZF320 from '96 to 2003 (used in E36es, E46es, E39s and Z3s). EDIT: YOU MUST USE THE E36 CLUTCH FORK, OR THE CLUTCH WILL NOT DISENGAGE.

4) Obviously, if the clutch is old, you should replace it and swap in a less used transmission while you are at it. Don't forget to replace the shifter detent pins in a used ZF. It only costs a few bucks, and can only be done with the transmission out.

In case this wasn't explicit enough, layshaft bearing wear is not sufficient cause to replace the transmission unless you just can't stand it. Thicker fluid can reduce the noise if that's important.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Well, first things first:

1) Do you have a lightweight flywheel installed? If so, the noise is normal. Ignore it, or put in a stock clutch.

2) Are you so bothered by the noise that you need to get it fixed? Your sig says "track build," which says to me that you should ignore it. If you are on a stock clutch, it could mean that the dual mass portion of your flywheel is failing. (I would still ignore it unless the clutch needs to be replaced anyway.)

3) Used 5spd ZF transmissions are very plentiful in the $200-400 range. Although the '95 uses the ZF310, you can plug and play the ZF320 from '96 to 2003 (used in E36es, E46es, E39s and Z3s). EDIT: YOU MUST USE THE E36 CLUTCH FORK, OR THE CLUTCH WILL NOT DISENGAGE.

4) Obviously, if the clutch is old, you should replace it and swap in a less used transmission while you are at it. Don't forget to replace the shifter detent pins in a used ZF. It only costs a few bucks, and can only be done with the transmission out.

In case this wasn't explicit enough, layshaft bearing wear is not sufficient cause to replace the transmission unless you just can't stand it. Thicker fluid can reduce the noise if that's important.
    1) The independent dealer I bought the car from in March says they replaced the clutch (don't know about the flywheel) with a stage 2 clutch. I believe them as the clutch feels like a performance clutch. I don't know what brand they used. I drove the car for about 6 weeks after buying it and there was no noise from the tranny. I put the car up on jack stands for ~6 weeks to do some maintenance to prepare for track use. One of the maintenance items was tranny fluid flush. Replaced the fluid with Redline D4 ATF. A couple days of driving after I finished the maintenance I was pulling into my garage (I have an incline going into my garage) and as I was on the incline slowing pulling in the noise started. Clutch works fine. No problems shifting. When the tranny is cold, the noise is faint. As the tranny warms up, after a long and/or spirited drive, the noise gets louder. Goes away when clutch pedal is depressed.

2) The noise doesn't bother me, however the fact that there was no noise then it started out of no where makes me thing something is not right. Yes, this is a track build in progress. However, what I don't want is to be on the track and have the tranny grenade.

3) Thanks for the info.

4) As stated in #1, clutch is new and working properly.

Thanks for the info. Proves that a second opinion is definitely in order.

Cheers,
    FLi
    FLi GLi
    '95 M3 (track build in progress)
    '03 911 C4S (DD)
    '06 325xiT (hauler; winter beater)
    5 (hauler)

Quote Originally Posted by FLi GLi View Post
    1) The independent dealer I bought the car from in March says they replaced the clutch (don't know about the flywheel) with a stage 2 clutch. I believe them as the clutch feels like a performance clutch. I don't know what brand they used. I drove the car for about 6 weeks after buying it and there was no noise from the tranny. I put the car up on jack stands for ~6 weeks to do some maintenance to prepare for track use. One of the maintenance items was tranny fluid flush. Replaced the fluid with Redline D4 ATF. A couple days of driving after I finished the maintenance I was pulling into my garage (I have an incline going into my garage) and as I was on the incline slowing pulling in the noise started. Clutch works fine. No problems shifting. When the tranny is cold, the noise is faint. As the tranny warms up, after a long and/or spirited drive, the noise gets louder. Goes away when clutch pedal is depressed.

2) The noise doesn't bother me, however the fact that there was no noise then it started out of no where makes me thing something is not right. Yes, this is a track build in progress. However, what I don't want is to be on the track and have the tranny grenade.

3) Thanks for the info.

4) As stated in #1, clutch is new and working properly.

Thanks for the info. Proves that a second opinion is definitely in order.

Cheers,
    FLi
    D4 ATF is one of the lightest fluids that you can put in. Combine that with the fact that the transmission was hot (making the fluid lighter still), and on an uphill incline (which drains fluid away from the layshaft and input shaft), you will tend to get more noise. Mix in some Redline 75w140NS (note, the NS is VERY important) if you want to quiet it down some at the cost of cold shift quality. D4 ATF is really probably the wrong fluid for a track car anyway. My personal favorite warm conditions transmission fluid is Motul Gear 300 75w90, and Motul ATF is my favorite all around transmission fluid.

I have never actually heard of a BMW transmission failing due to layshaft play. The noise is normal in higher mileage transmissions. The real concern, frankly, is figuring out what "Stage 2 Clutch" actually means. I would be a lot more concerned about a random clutch grenading.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information