Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E46 Front Camber Settings - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: E46 Front Camber Settings

BMW claims that the zhp model is has more camber than the zsp

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    BMW claims that the zhp model is has more camber than the zsp
    I believe that the slightly lower ride height of the zhp package gets you the additional camber.

You are right - the car does handle great for a heavy sedan and I experienced hardly any understeer with the 225/40/17 Falken Azenis tires I use for the track and I don't think adding what amounted to maybe 1 degree of camber will be detrimental to my future driving experiences but I do see your point. The changes are more for the 'tinkerer' in me than anything else.

I would like to know more about regulating tire pressure though.

-Dave
    Last edited by WNNAM3; 07-12-2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: more info

Don't

Quote Originally Posted by WNNAM3
    You are right - the car does handle great for a heavy sedan and I experienced hardly any understeer with the 225/40/17 Falken Azenis tires I use for the track and I don't think adding what amounted to maybe 1 degree of camber will be detrimental to my future driving experiences but I do see your point. The changes are more for the 'tinkerer' in me than anything else.
    I would like to know more about regulating tire pressure though.
    -Dave
    Dave,
    I still think it's very premature to be messing with things like camber. With my 330 I experimented with different air pressures. My car had Michelin Pilot Sports. I found that cold psi settings of 35 in front and 42 in the rear worked best. The car had no understeer. Try those and see what you think.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

This is an interesting mod which I've considered, but to be done properly, this should be done on an alignment rack. Increasing negative camber will change toe-in, increasing it i believe. For better turn in autocrossing, you'd want minimal toe-in, perhaps slight toe-out.
    Just shifting the strutt towers along these slots is not an accurate way to set the camber. It seems to me you at least want to make sure the camber change is still in spec regarding side to side variation.
    I also suspect whatever max negative camber this allows, it will not exceed 1-degree negative, which should be fine on the street, not likely to result in excessive tire wear.
    After the camber is set, toe should be adjusted.
    I suspect these slots are really there to allow some flexibility over the years for keeping alignment near BMW spec allowing for wear and tear and body repair, but it's nice to have some flexibility, however little.

Let's table the camber discussion for now...at VIR I started with 35psi cold all the way around and there was a 5psi gain on all but one tire (3-4 psi on drivers rear) after each 20-25 min session with no appreciable tire rollover showing. I'll try higher rear pressures next time and see how it goes.

Thanks,
    Dave.

I've been running 38F 39R on my stock zhp setup at DE/Autox, should I lower the pressure on the fronts?

generally speaking, ignoring the factory's conservative recommendation of more pressure rear than front...
    less pressure in rear tires compared to front helps minimize the inherent understeer in bmws when pushed hard.
    this may vary with different tires. 35 all around is what i use on street -- seems soft for track. and i definitely would not run more in rear... probably 2 pounds less. for autox, 5 lbs less in rear relative to front, so something like 39F, 34R. that might be a bit loose, but fun, if you're not used to oversteer.

I had some serious sidewall wear from the first autox and driver school this year. I kept upping the pressure hoping it would get better. At the last autox, I was at 45psi on my Michelin PS2's, and still got huge roll-under on my front tires...(http://www.teamwtf.org/index.php?set...view_photo.php)
    That is why i'm thinking of getting camber plates
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

I've been running 38F 39R on my stock zhp setup at DE/Autox, should I lower the pressure on the fronts?
    Don't confuse track setup with autox setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    Don't confuse track setup with autox setup.
    I am not, I just ran the same setup under both conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    I had some serious sidewall wear from the first autox and driver school this year. I kept upping the pressure hoping it would get better. At the last autox, I was at 45psi on my Michelin PS2's, and still got huge roll-under on my front tires...(http://www.teamwtf.org/index.php?set...view_photo.php)
    That is why i'm thinking of getting camber plates
    I agree, my sidewalls look miserable also...

The only way to avoid sidewall wear is to run 3-4 degrees of negative camber. But I am NOT goign to recommend that to people who haven't got a decent bit of experience.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I agree, my sidewalls look miserable also...
    That's because you chose to skid across the course versus drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by ob325
    That's because you chose to skid across the course versus drive it.

Thread Information