Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E46 Front Camber Settings
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: E46 Front Camber Settings

Talking E46 Front Camber Settings

Can anyone tell me if its possible to adjust the front camber setting on a e46 without purchasing aftermarket parts?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WNNAM3
    Can anyone tell me if its possible to adjust the front camber setting on a e46 without purchasing aftermarket parts?

Thanks,
    Dave

The strut towers on the E46 are slotted. If you knock out the pin at the top, you should be able to get another 1/2° or so of additional camber.

Thanks AG, I'll take a look at it tonight and see if I can make out what you are talking about.

-Dave

Thats great, thanks.

Dave

The site was very helpful except that on my e46 330i the pins do not have the hex head so it looks like there is no way to remove them from the top.

Punch them out. They're fixed in place, so a hammer and a punch or phillips screwdriver will do nicely.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I'm looking to buy front wheel adjustable camber plates for my car (E46 323i) - I've heard some recommend ground control, others TMS - Just looking for a little more input on the matter... any help greatly appreciated.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    I'm looking to buy front wheel adjustable camber plates for my car (E46 323i) - I've heard some recommend ground control, others TMS - Just looking for a little more input on the matter... any help greatly appreciated.
    If you are even remotely concerned with NVH/maintenance then stick with plates with rubber bushings.

TCK plates are monoball (no rubber), GC offers monoball and rubber, Turner has rubber plates also.....any of these are quality parts.

Looks pretty simple, at the DIY in Manassas today I watched two different people do it in just a couple of minutes (maybe 20?). And, if you don't like it, you can just tap it back to the center and take the 1/2 degree back out.

-Ernest-

And if you don't like extra camber, you should be shot.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    And if you don't like extra camber, you should be shot.
    Well, I am glad that I will not get shot. My car was one of the two to get a little extra negative camber on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    Punch them out. They're fixed in place, so a hammer and a punch or phillips screwdriver will do nicely.
    We ended up using a grinder to elongate the hole for the alignment pin which allowed the shock tower to move the full distance of the slots for the three bolts. The mod ended up being fairly simple once the car was on the lift and the right tools were in hand.

Road testing so far has been very positive. The extra camber has improved the steering response and definitely removed some of the understeer at the limit. The car has a much more neutral feel now.

Tim (the shop owner) cautioned both of us that this will promote pre-mature wear on the inside edges of the tires. Maybe others here who have already done similar modifications can relay how dramatic the tire wear is.

I run the same size tires all around and hope that the extra wear can be minimized with regular tire rotations.
    Last edited by SMOODY; 07-11-2005 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Changed to address Nick's earlier post
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Question

[QUOTE=WNNAM3]Can anyone tell me if its possible to adjust the front camber setting on a e46 without purchasing aftermarket parts?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

It's one of my daily drivers that I've tracked twice while I'm building another car just for track days and eventual IT racing. I'm fine with it's handling but just want some cheap performance advice - every little bit helps right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Dave

Getting Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by WNNAM3
    It's one of my daily drivers that I've tracked twice while I'm building another car just for track days and eventual IT racing. I'm fine with it's handling but just want some cheap performance advice - every little bit helps right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Dave

Dave,
    I think you may be getting ahead of yourself. If you've only tracked the car twice, I would assume that you're not a highly experienced driver. If that assumption is correct, I would recommend that you do nothing to your car.
    If you're driving the 330 on the track, that car has outstanding handling capability out of the box. I had a 330Ci and I did no mods to the alignment or suspension and the car was a blast at the track. Your car has the Perf Pkg, and that makes it even better. On the track, with good performance tires, these cars do not exhibit any understeer. So, my recommendation is to not change your camber settings. Just work with tire pressures.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

Thread Information