PDA

View Full Version : (2009) Want To Autocross In A Z4

JC5
07-19-2009, 08:54 PM
This could be a silly question. In the past the answer was NO, but I though I would ask anyway. Can I autocross a stock 04 Z4?

KatieT
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=166

It says a Z4 would be in Group 2. :)

~Katie

JC5
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Really!!!! I gave up looking a few years ago because convertables weren't allowed, IIRC. Awesome!

Biggins
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
You were looking at driver's schools regulations.

Come on out. If in the right hands, they are one of the quickest BMWs in which to autocross.

JC5
07-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Aghhh, I feel foolish now. For 6 years I've been thinking I couldn't race.... oh, silly me....

Car54
07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
PM noelleslie, He's one of the locals that Autox's a Z4, VERY well.

Here he is in action: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=gol737&view=videos&sort=d

JC5
07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Just registered for the August event.

m3chaser
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Just registered for the August event.

Nice! When you go look for a black Z4 driven by Noel like Car54 said above. He is a great driver and will be able to give you some good tips I am sure.

JC5
07-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Will do, thanks!

noelleslie
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
These guys are a bit too flattering, but I'm not going to lie, it's nice too. Makes up for other areas.

Truth is: we have a lot of very good drivers here, but only two Z4 drivers. The other Z4 guy actually has a life and does not autocross like a zillion times per summer like me.

Anyway - You are going to love autocrossing that Z4. It's just great :)

I am always open to a ride along with me or riding with you too.

See ya then,

Noel

Luda
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
while noel is very modest ive driven his car and i cant replicate his times, hes a very smooth driver and always has clean lines, and is a pleasure to watch run the course.

and i believe all he has is tires [?] so you can get an idea of what a stock z4 is capable of

alexmarksthespot
07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Stop being so modest Noel lol.

To OP: the no convertible rule, as mentioned above, is for track driving... you can overcome that by having rollbars IIRC or cage I believe. miatas run all the time with those rollhoop thingees

-- Alex

JC5
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
I didn't want to cut up the car to install a roll bar, so years ago when I originally saw that rule, I ruled out racing the Z4. If I had only dug deeper...hmmm..... oh well... no sense dwelling on the past.

Funny thing was that I went to drag racing school instead.

Bob
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Drag racing experience can be useful, many ax championships have been lost during the 1st 50 ft.! Its not called a hole shot for nothing. From an old dragger from the sixties. Bob

JC5
07-25-2009, 10:24 AM
It was really interesting learning about proper throttle usage, burnouts, etc, and the actual theories and real world applications.

JC5
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Will thick blue painters tape work for a number on the side of the car?

Anything else I should know ( no matter how small) ?

RedMS3
07-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Blue tape should work fine :) Not sure if you have a blue Z4, but the color may be tough to read on the track when you're zooming by.

Pack at least the following:

Tarp/tent for stuff in your car, just in case it rains while your stuff is sitting outside. I like to remove all unnecessary stuff at home so that I don't have to put things outside and risk the elements.
Water and snacks so you don't dehydrate on hot days or go hungry since you'll be out there for a few hours.
Umbrella for rain.
A hat or sunglasses to combat the rays. I don't like to wear hats nor do sunglasses usually fit me, so I skip this one.
Suntan lotion.

If you venture into any tall grass, I also recommend checking your body for ticks once you get home, even if you're wearing pants and long sleeves. I was wearing pants at the last event at Summit Point and I found a tick near my knee when I got home.

I'm sure others can add more to the short list I have above.

Car54
07-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Indeed...

Autox FAQ (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_quickfaq&view=category&cid=2&Itemid=154)

noelleslie
07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
What tires do you have?

Any modifications?

I'll bring a silver sharpie to mark your tires for rollover, to help determine a good pressure.

I have been running with 3 psi more in the front than rear: about 38 front and 35/34 rear when cold. They run well all day that way on shorter courses, but have needed less pressure after a few runs on longer courses on hot days.

My data is for Dunlops; you may need a psi more or two depending on what you have.

JC5
07-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Believe it or not, the car is as it rolled off the assembly line, with the stock tires. The only thing not stock is a B&B muffler. Which really isn't a modification in my book.

Car54
07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
JC5,

FYI...

The muffler puts you in Tuner 2 instead of Showroom 2.

JC5
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, interesting a new muffler that does essentially nothing can move you in class. No biggie, I just really want to run more than anything else.

woodym3
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow, interesting a new muffler that does essentially nothing can move you in class.

But it makes the rest of us envious because our cars are so damn quiet.

(you know, when I helped draft these rules they all made sense. In hindsight, some do seem rather harsh)