PDA

View Full Version : (2009) Tire Thread

Biggins
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
It’s time to spark a debate on everyone’s favorite topic. Since no one has mentioned anything about tires yet this year, I’ll start. This is a list of all the relevant tires that I believe should be competitive in each class. I might have missed one or two, but I think I got most of them.

Showroom tires 210+ rating (for NCC S# class):
Whatever is on your car, maybe these-
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

“Street” tires 140+ rating (for NCC T# class):
Bridgestone RE-01R
Bridgestone RE-11
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Falken Azenis RT-615
Federal 595RS-R
Hankook RS-2
Hankook RS-3
Kumho MX
Kumho XS
Kumho SPT (wet)
Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra
Nitto NT05
Toyo R1R
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

DOT-R tires (for NCC M# class):
Avon Tech R-A
BFGoodrich g-Force R1
Hoosier A6
Hoosier Radial Wet
Hoosier R6
Kumho V700
Kumho V710
Kumho Victoracer
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Nitto NT01
Toyo R888
Yokohama Advan A048

BradMW
04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I think running an auto convertible should get me an extra 10 rating for free, just sayin'.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Reports I'm hearing are that the Kumho XS is the current tire to have for ST classes, although we will see what the Advan AD08s will do. I'm running the XS presently, and they have a very impressive feel. I'll know more in two weeks when I've run them at Fedex.

Of the showroom tires, the PS2 is a clear "winner," although the cost is so absurdly high and the resistance to cording at the edges so low that I would rather spend the extra money on classing up.

As for R-tires, Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710. The 710 will last a lot longer for almost the same performance.

hoyabmw
04-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I dunno nick. The Toyo R1R looks to be an insane tire for ST. It's almost certainly the best tire to have for rain, no matter what class you're in. Look at Ian's times from the AI event Saturday--he was the only one on the R1R. I'm even considering them for SP rains over hoosier since I don't care about the contingency.
The RE-11 is also a killer ST tire.

National winners for R-comps will be running the A6 as it is significantly lighter than the 710, and definitely quicker, but it doesn't last as long.

One big thing is who makes a tire that's the right size.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Everything I hear about the R1R is that it's not good on heavy cars. Otherwise, I would have seriously considered it. Sadly, an '89 CRX Si doesn't help refute that.

Edit: That said, the R1R is, I suspect, a much better street tire. The Kumho XS has the road feel of some frankensteinian combination of an RA-1 and a Hoosier.

woodym3
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
The Kumho XS has the road feel of some frankensteinian combination of an RA-1 and a Hoosier.

RRT is putting the finishing touches on a Z3 M Coupe for this year's One Lap that will be running the Kumho XS - 265/40-18 front and 315/30-18 rear as I recall.
Those big tires will be needed to handle the 600+ hp turbo 2.8 engine.

mcoupemindy
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
RRT is putting the finishing touches on a Z3 M Coupe for this year's One Lap that will be running the Kumho XS - 265/40-18 front and 315/30-18 rear as I recall.

Yeah, those XS's are mean!

I have to gawk at one of my co-workers cars every time he brings it to work. Cobra Rep (~500 hp) with 315's in the front and 335's in the rear.

Sammyzuko
04-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Turbo 2.8 eh, interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on it during the One Lap of A.

Reach
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Anyone hear much about the Nitto NT-05 yet? I've been reading some fantastic reviews of them online, but there is some kind of 'too good to be true' feeling about them, like they are planted reviews.

Would likely be going for a square set of 265's on my M3 later this summer, and I haven't figured out what to run for ax+street duty.

woodym3
04-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Nitto Nt-05, Bridgestone RE-11, Kumho XS, Yokohama Neova AD-08, etc. . . . . .all of these new "Ultra Performance Street Tires" are so new to the market I don't think any one has the handle on which will be better for autocross, track, rain, longevity, etc. And will any of them top last year's darlings such as the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec or Bridgestone Re-01R. I believe the next issue of Grassroots Motorsports promises to have a comparison test.

Biggins
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
As Woody mentioned, it's likely we won't have a clear answer for you for another 2-3 months. Most of these tires just hit the street in March, so we're learning each week.

I think the Nitto NT05 could be a great option if it has similar characteristics to the NT01r-comp. However, from pure speculation, I think the Kumho, Bridgestone, Yokohama and Dunlops will be the favorites in 2009. I've heard the same things as Nick about the Toyos.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
The RE01R was never well regarded (except as a nice compromise for comfort as well as price). It wasn't even close to the AD07.

Zcruizer
04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
I bought a set of Nitto Invos last week and can't yet make up my mind. Switching from pilot sports (which were a few years past their prime) I notice a much quieter ride and very sticky. I only have 250 miles +/- ,so it could get better or worse. One bad thing, the response is slow. The tires seem to have soft sidewalls and steering input is delayed. I noticed too much steering correction because I'm used to a little faster response. Those fun back road turns became more of a chore than joy. It may be I just need to adapt to a new type of tire. I can say this, when I would over correct, the car would turn that much harder without losing control. That would lead me to believe it's the driver. One more thing, high speed made me nervous. At 90+ the car feels like it's floating too much. BTW, I have a '01 M Roaster. There's already enough flex in the body, I need a tire that is stiffer on the turns. Bottom line is, when driving sensibly these tires are great. Trying any race like driving becomes a little scary. These are street tires not race tires, and according to the Nitto website these are as good as the NT05.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I bought a set of Nitto Invos last week and can't yet make up my mind. Switching from pilot sports (which were a few years past their prime) I notice a much quieter ride and very sticky. I only have 250 miles +/- ,so it could get better or worse. One bad thing, the response is slow. The tires seem to have soft sidewalls and steering input is delayed. I noticed too much steering correction because I'm used to a little faster response. Those fun back road turns became more of a chore than joy. It may be I just need to adapt to a new type of tire. I can say this, when I would over correct, the car would turn that much harder without losing control. That would lead me to believe it's the driver. One more thing, high speed made me nervous. At 90+ the car feels like it's floating too much. BTW, I have a '01 M Roaster. There's already enough flex in the body, I need a tire that is stiffer on the turns. Bottom line is, when driving sensibly these tires are great. Trying any race like driving becomes a little scary. These are street tires not race tires, and according to the Nitto website these are as good as the NT05.
If you look at the tread pattern, you can see that the Invos are not designed to even be seriously compared to the NT05.

...and the website doesn't even claim that the grip is close.

That said, I wouldn't be looking to Toyo or Nitto (same company) for maximum performance street/autox tires on a BMW.

mcoupemindy
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
If you look at the tread pattern, you can see that the Invos are not designed to even be seriously compared to the NT05.

...and the website doesn't even claim that the grip is close.

That said, I wouldn't be looking to Toyo or Nitto (same company) for maximum performance street/autox tires on a BMW.

I've always been impressed with Toyo!

Biggins
04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I love Toyos as street driven tires. They all seem to be great in the rain no matter the model. I love the Proxes 4 as an everyday tire. I hate to generalize, but I think the streetish Toyos/Nittos are more geared toward Japanese and lighter cars (E30) as Nick seemed to infer. Their only exceptions would be their r-comp offerings, but I'd only use them for track events.

I'm currently on the Dunlops, but if I had to buy another set (which I may very well do) I'd like to try the Kumho XS or Bridgestone RE-11.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I've had several sets of Toyo street tires and liked them a lot. I have never once, however, been impressed with the level of ultimate grip offered. Mediocre at best is my view.

According to durometer readings (10 points softer than, say, R888s, with a big change in the reading over a short period of time), the Toyo R1R is an ultra, ultra soft compound without much structure to back it up. (I will not claim to be an authority on this, I'm just regurgitating here.)

The R1R is still a good choice for a lot of folks. But they come with their downsides.

Reach
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for making this easier for me. NOT. :)

Sounds like Dunlops (Z1 star spec) are still the darling tires if I can make them a dedicated set, and perhaps the Kumho XS if I'm going to be doing street / auto-x duty with them.

Tangentially, something about the tread pattern of those NT-05's makes me irrationally want them.

pseto
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Tangentially

thats too big of a word to include in this forum Reach lol ...i had to go look it up since its obviously not a part of my vocabulary.

BradMW
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Autoxers rarely deal with tangents.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for making this easier for me. NOT. :)

Sounds like Dunlops (Z1 star spec) are still the darling tires if I can make them a dedicated set, and perhaps the Kumho XS if I'm going to be doing street / auto-x duty with them.

Tangentially, something about the tread pattern of those NT-05's makes me irrationally want them.
No. I would not recommend the XS if you're concerned about street comfort.

Reach
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Quite to the contrary, tangential best describes the line I took at the TSP when my ass started coming around my nose on the curve through the big circle.

Grammar aside, the lack of clear cut tire winners is what caused me to regretfully buy another set of PS2 last year. This year I hope to add grip, if I can ever make a decision. Thanks for the continued notes from Nick and biggins, I do rely (too much?) on reports from others on this topic.

pseto
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Autoxers rarely deal with tangents.

i tangent all the time :D

Biggins
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I drive on the Dunlops everyday March-October on the very rough streets of Baltimore City/County. They are not a comfortable tire on the street, but it's a compromise for the better performance. They are pretty good in the rain too.

hoyabmw
04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
The RE01R was never well regarded (except as a nice compromise for comfort as well as price). It wasn't even close to the AD07.

Nick, that may have been true for the BMW crowd, but the RE01R was definitely a front runner in ST on Minis.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Nick, that may have been true for the BMW crowd, but the RE01R was definitely a front runner in ST on Minis.
The complaint with the RE01R was similar to the complaint with the R1R - it flops around and can't really handle the weight. I'm not that surprised.

It looks like Brian Hair may be driving my car this weekend too, so I will a) actually show up, and b) might have a competent driver to compare notes with. I look forward to getting some data.

Zcruizer
04-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok Nick, you sound like you've been around a tire or two. Let me clarify my statement before. When I was shopping for tires, I wanted a good balance of performance and comfort as this is a pleasure car. My car is not a race car and I don't want it to be, buying tires that are barely listed as street tires made about as much sense as putting a fart cannon (catback or version of) on. What's more, I need to keep this car in Showroom class to even compete in autox. The Nitto NT05 has a treadwear too low for my needs, 200, according to the Nitto website. I need a 210 or higher. Speaking of the website, when I stated the Invo and NT05 were similar I was basing this off the chart that is given. Both of their wet and dry performance indicators are very close with the Invo scoring higher than the NT05 in the wet performance. You can look for yourself to see the comparison in the ride comfort and quietness categories. Then you'll understand why I tried the Invos instead.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok Nick, you sound like you've been around a tire or two. Let me clarify my statement before. When I was shopping for tires, I wanted a good balance of performance and comfort as this is a pleasure car. My car is not a race car and I don't want it to be, buying tires that are barely listed as street tires made about as much sense as putting a fart cannon (catback or version of) on. What's more, I need to keep this car in Showroom class to even compete in autox. The Nitto NT05 has a treadwear too low for my needs, 200, according to the Nitto website. I need a 210 or higher. Speaking of the website, when I stated the Invo and NT05 were similar I was basing this off the chart that is given. Both of their wet and dry performance indicators are very close with the Invo scoring higher than the NT05 in the wet performance. You can look for yourself to see the comparison in the ride comfort and quietness categories. Then you'll understand why I tried the Invos instead.
All that I said is that Nitto's web site does *not* claim that the Invo and the NT05 can be seriously compared. I never said anything about your choice of the Invo over the NT05 - it's irrelevant to the discussion.

You stated "according the the Nitto web site these are as good as the NT05." That is flat out wrong. They are not comparable tires, the web site does not claim they are the same, and you should not be reviewing the Invos and then claiming that the NT05 is equivalent.

Zcruizer
04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
You're right Nick, I misspoke. That's why I tried to clarify what I meant. I was trying to respond to "Reach" and his tire hunting experience.

woodym3
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
From a Bimmerforums post (note this was on an autocross course with 15" tires on a Honda Civic. Your heavy BMW on 17 or 18 inchers on a track may have different results.):

I'm not sure this really tells us much, tested in 15" sizes on an ST civic, and so not including any Yoks and on a much lighter car, but here are the results copied from miata.net:

For the June 2009 issue. Just got my Grassroot motorsports where they did some Extreme tire testing. Tires were tested in 15 inch sizes on a hond civic.

Here is a summary of times from worst to first.

6th - Falken RT 615 Mean time: 35.302 Sec Quick time 35.125 Sec.
5th - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Mean time: 35.209 sec. Quick time 35.061
4th -Toyo Proxes R1R Mean time: 34.522 sec Quick Time 34.452 sec
3rd- Bridgestone RE-01R Mean time: 34.478 sec Quick Time 34.430 sec.
2nd- Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Mean time: 34.266 Quick time 34.238 sec.
1st - Kumho ECSTA XS Mean time :34.170 Quick Time 34.030 sec.

All tires were shaved to 3/32 nd and test performed on an Autocross set up.

mcoupemindy
04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
From a Bimmerforums post (note this was on an autocross course with 15" tires on a Honda Civic. Your heavy BMW on 17 or 18 inchers on a track may have different results.):

I'm not sure this really tells us much, tested in 15" sizes on an ST civic, and so not including any Yoks and on a much lighter car, but here are the results copied from miata.net:

For the June 2009 issue. Just got my Grassroot motorsports where they did some Extreme tire testing. Tires were tested in 15 inch sizes on a hond civic.

Here is a summary of times from worst to first.

6th - Falken RT 615 Mean time: 35.302 Sec Quick time 35.125 Sec.
5th - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Mean time: 35.209 sec. Quick time 35.061
4th -Toyo Proxes R1R Mean time: 34.522 sec Quick Time 34.452 sec
3rd- Bridgestone RE-01R Mean time: 34.478 sec Quick Time 34.430 sec.
2nd- Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Mean time: 34.266 Quick time 34.238 sec.
1st - Kumho ECSTA XS Mean time :34.170 Quick Time 34.030 sec.

All tires were shaved to 3/32 nd and test performed on an Autocross set up.

Those results aren't really surprising to me ...

Those ECSTA XS's are really more of a comp and not a "street" tire IMO.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
My car was .001 seconds off of winning STU today at Fedex. The XS takes heat un****ingbelievably well. If I had managed to get a proper alignment on the car (i.e. more than a pathetic 3mm of total toe in and -1 degree of camber in the back), Brian would have won the class. (In other words, his fast run had a huge slide going into the finish.)

It'll be interesting to see what the XS is like on a cold day, but in 100 degree weather, with two drivers, we could not get them to fade. I'm looking forward to the next event, where I will have adjustable rear lower control arms on the car to allow for a more decent alignment.

mcoupemindy
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
My car was .001 seconds off of winning STU today at Fedex. The XS takes heat un****ingbelievably well. If I had managed to get a proper alignment on the car (i.e. more than a pathetic 3mm of total toe in and -1 degree of camber in the back), Brian would have won the class. (In other words, his fast run had a huge slide going into the finish.)

It'll be interesting to see what the XS is like on a cold day, but in 100 degree weather, with two drivers, we could not get them to fade. I'm looking forward to the next event, where I will have adjustable rear lower control arms on the car to allow for a more decent alignment.

Good stuff!

(You guys are out playing, and I'm at home doing school work. FML!)

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Those results do surprise me - I'm surprised that the Z1 is so far off the pace.

Brian tells me that his Toyo R1Rs are very comfortable on the street, so they are certainly worth looking at if you need more of a compromise tire.

woodym3
04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I understand your new Kumho XS did pretty good at the SCCA AX today.

Edit: oh, I hadn't read your ealier post.

Reach
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Nick, were you driving the M3 in STU? Its allowed there this year, correct?

This rookie driver is going to be putting in more seat time this year. I ran mine in AS at the last event (blue crab stadium) as I had no idea what I was doing and had printed off the 2008 rules. It would be nice to meet up with you guys at the next ax inc event if you're going to do it. Unfortunately I had a family conflict and could not come today, but congrats on the good runs.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I'm running STU. If the car isn't prepped, it really doesn't matter which class you're running, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the AI event, I won't be at that one. I should be at all the WDCR events, however.

95Maxrider
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow, there's a lot of confusing information in this thread.

I drive a non-BMW and would like to stay in the street tire class. By the looks of it, these are my three best options:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

My car is a nose heavy boat (~3400 pounds w/driver). I'm currently on (AS) Pirelli P-Zero Nero MS and while they served me well at the first auto-x in the rain, they were howling for dear mercy at the second event in the "dry". Right now I only have enough money for one set of wheels and tires to get me through winter, summer and auto-x in the DC region. I know plenty of people that run summer tires year round here, so I'm not too worried about that, but I need something that will last for at least a year and will also give me more grip at auto-x and can withstand the heat better than my AS tires. So I guess I'm wondering which of those tires would suit me best?

Thanks for the help!

gbauer
05-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Wow, there's a lot of confusing information in this thread.

I drive a non-BMW and would like to stay in the street tire class. By the looks of it, these are my three best options:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

My car is a nose heavy boat (~3400 pounds w/driver). I'm currently on (AS) Pirelli P-Zero Nero MS and while they served me well at the first auto-x in the rain, they were howling for dear mercy at the second event in the "dry". Right now I only have enough money for one set of wheels and tires to get me through winter, summer and auto-x in the DC region. I know plenty of people that run summer tires year round here, so I'm not too worried about that, but I need something that will last for at least a year and will also give me more grip at auto-x and can withstand the heat better than my AS tires. So I guess I'm wondering which of those tires would suit me best?

Thanks for the help!
Funny but I'm sitting beside my buddy Sam (green e36 325 vert) who's trying to figure out the very same thing with the same constraints.

PSII's are good tires but the price is a killer. I don't know about the other two.

I can tell you that Pilot Sport A/S's wear horribly in the center of the tire. The PSII's don't seem to have uneven wear. I drove on my PSII's last winter (front only: A/S's on the rear) and didn't have problems. But, knowing your car and your driving, I might lean towards the A/S's if only for winter. Let's face it: maxima's suck in snow! Bad!

Unless you can swing cheap snow tires on stealies for the winter that is.

BTW: if you need a spare tire, I have one for you in my garage (used once for 25 miles). I also have some other 5.5 gen parts that Corey claimed but never came to get. I don't know what would fit your I30 though.

woodym3
05-20-2009, 10:11 AM
A couple of tidbits from the One Lap of America:

The winning car, a Nissan GT-R, was running (and sponsored by) Continental Tires.

Word was the Michelin PS-2 in the size for the front of a Viper (a 265/?-18 I believe) is made with the rubber compound from Michelin's R-compound tire - the Pilot Sport Cup.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
For what it's worth, the one bit of feedback after additional time with the Kumho XS is that while the ride improves as they break in, the noise does not. Coasting at 75 on the highway, I'm at 80dB - slightly higher than the noise level in K's 325iX. They are definitely not a tire I would recommend for long highway trips.

(Anyone have a pair of used but decent 225/45-18 tires that they want to sell for cheap? I could use some trip tires this summer. I already have T1-Rs for the rear...)

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 11:03 AM
A couple of tidbits from the One Lap of America:

The winning car, a Nissan GT-R, was running (and sponsored by) Continental Tires.

Word was the Michelin PS-2 in the size for the front of a Viper (a 265/?-18 I believe) is made with the rubber compound from Michelin's R-compound tire - the Pilot Sport Cup.
Wild. Is that publicly available? That could be the ST tire to have. :)

woodym3
05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I assume you're talking about the Michelins and not the Contis. Try calling Tire Rack and see what they say. Don't tell the SCCA or Jonathan Thayer.

Neil
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
From TireRack's site:'

275/35ZR18
Blackwall
OE Fitments for This Tire/Size C1 (Dodge Viper) Serv. Desc: (95Y)
Price: $363.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
In Stock

Neil

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 01:36 PM
From TireRack's site:'

275/35ZR18
Blackwall
OE Fitments for This Tire/Size C1 (Dodge Viper) Serv. Desc: (95Y)
Price: $363.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
In Stock

Neil
Yeah, but whether or not the compound that ended up on that Viper is the one that TireRack is currently selling is a separate question...

Anyone want to buy one so we can stick a durometer on it?

woodym3
05-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Anyone want to buy one so we can stick a durometer on it?

At only $363 can't you afford to buy one for durometer testing.

Hmmm. TireRack.com's spec sheet shows the same 220 wear rating as all the other PS2s.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
At only $363 can't your afford to buy one for durometer testing.

Hmmm. TireRack.com's spec sheet shows the same 220 wear rating as all the other PS2s.
Wear rating is practically just a number stamped on the side of the tire by the manufacturer. I once owned a set of RA-1s that came with two different wear ratings - one pair was 40, one pair was 100. No difference in the tires.

Car54
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Both Michelin's have seriously weak shoulders and sidewalls....just saying

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-21-2009, 06:18 AM
I know the sidewalls are crap. I've owned both ps2s and have a set of pscs. Pscs would still be decently fast in warm conditions. They are certainly not priced to encourage sales, though.

95Maxrider
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Funny but I'm sitting beside my buddy Sam (green e36 325 vert) who's trying to figure out the very same thing with the same constraints.

PSII's are good tires but the price is a killer. I don't know about the other two.

I can tell you that Pilot Sport A/S's wear horribly in the center of the tire. The PSII's don't seem to have uneven wear. I drove on my PSII's last winter (front only: A/S's on the rear) and didn't have problems. But, knowing your car and your driving, I might lean towards the A/S's if only for winter. Let's face it: maxima's suck in snow! Bad!

Unless you can swing cheap snow tires on stealies for the winter that is.

BTW: if you need a spare tire, I have one for you in my garage (used once for 25 miles). I also have some other 5.5 gen parts that Corey claimed but never came to get. I don't know what would fit your I30 though.

I would love to run snow tires in the winter on my stock wheels but my BBK doesn't allow it :(

Since I'm currently without work, it looks like my options are:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Does anyone know which of these tires does better in the heat? What about tread life?

How many people here have run summer tires year-round? I know some people that do it and as long as it doesn't snow, they get around just fine. Thoughts?

mcoupemindy
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I would love to run snow tires in the winter on my stock wheels but my BBK doesn't allow it :(

Since I'm currently without work, it looks like my options are:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Does anyone know which of these tires does better in the heat? What about tread life?

How many people here have run summer tires year-round? I know some people that do it and as long as it doesn't snow, they get around just fine. Thoughts?

You should look into the Toyo street tires too. They will cost alot less than the above and offer very similar performance.

95Maxrider
06-13-2009, 06:52 PM
You should look into the Toyo street tires too. They will cost alot less than the above and offer very similar performance.

Any kind specifically? It looks like the Proxes T1R may be suitable, but it's tough to tell.

mcoupemindy
06-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Any kind specifically? It looks like the Proxes T1R may be suitable, but it's tough to tell.

I've used both the T1R's and Proxes 4. Happy with both!

95Maxrider
06-14-2009, 12:07 PM
What are people's thoughts about running a summer tire year round in the DC area if I can't afford dedicated track wheels/tires?

mcoupemindy
06-14-2009, 05:12 PM
What are people's thoughts about running a summer tire year round in the DC area if I can't afford dedicated track wheels/tires?

I don't see anything wrong with it considering there's maybe 2 days of the year where there's a dusting of snow on the ground.

John in VA
06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Due to the compounds used in most high or ultra-high performance summer tires, they don't do well below ~40 degrees - poor traction, chunking of tread blocks.

woodym3
06-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I've never had any issues driving on Bridgestone RE01-Rs (not an R compound, but an Extreme HP summer tire) in freezing temperatures - well except the time last winter when I got stuck on a thin layer of ice on the Summit Point Main skidpad. That includes track events when in the 30s.

95Maxrider
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Due to the compounds used in most high or ultra-high performance summer tires, they don't do well below ~40 degrees - poor traction, chunking of tread blocks.

I think I could deal with a little less traction, but I wouldn't tolerate any accelerated wear...have you seen this happen before?

95Maxrider
08-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Well I've been talking to my mechanic, and he said the compounds used in summer tires never fully recover after being exposed to freezing temperatures. He said that although they will soften back up after the winter, they will never be as soft/sticky as they were before being exposed to cold temps. Therefore, I think I'm going to stay with AS tires. My research has shown the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires to be a pretty good bet. Has anyone had experience with them?

woodym3
08-11-2009, 03:23 PM
My research has shown the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires to be a pretty good bet. Has anyone had experience with them?

The Pilot Sport All-Seasons were mounted on my M Coupe when I bought it. A great street tire during the winter of '06-07. Then I took them to VIR in the spring of '07. Not so good. Mounting old Kumho MXs was like night and day on the track. New Bridgestone RE-O1Rs were even better.

So in my opinion get the Michelins unless you plan track days and/or autocrosses.

Car54
08-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Why not just pick up a second set of tires for the winter? All-seasons are really no-seasons, for performance cars anyway.

95Maxrider
09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I ended up buying the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus......we'll see how they do at the next autox....

dougmoney
09-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Why not just pick up a second set of tires for the winter? All-seasons are really no-seasons, for performance cars anyway.

This is my thought, too.

Get whatever your best option is for winter/cold-weather driving.

Pick up the cheapest set of 15in wheels you can for your car. Then pick up some RA-1 scrubs/R-888 scrubs (should be TONS of these if you know where to look, everyone will be getting rid of their R-888s that they haven't totally burned up, now that the RA-1 is back in production).

You shouldn't spend more than $150 on the second option. I was able to buy a lot of over 200 tires a year ago for $250 from a Spec Miata/Koni Challenge team that I was affiliated with. Only maybe ten had to be thrown away. The rest were sold or used.

phenryiv1
09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I ended up buying the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus......we'll see how they do at the next autox....
Very nice. How do they ride?

95Maxrider
09-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Very nice. How do they ride?

So far pretty well. Grip seems good and the ride also seems above average, but it may be the lower than average tire pressure. I haven't really pushed them yet, and only the front two are on so far. Time will tell....