PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite motor oil?

JC5
10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Well after a few years of Mobile 1, the motor oil in the family cars was changed to Amsoil. We have been running 0w-30 and 5w-30 in 2 BMW's, 1 Subaru and a Ford Ranger with no issues for about a year now. Amsoil was choosen for it's performance characteristics, ability to protect from engine wear, and a slight underdog factor.

What are you running and why?

I'm not an oil rep, just a crazed BMW owner :biggrin:

woodym3
10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W44 in the M Coupe. Because RRT recommends it to hold up to the high on-track oil temperatures I see (~260).

Valvoline Racing 20W50 in the M3. Because it has served me well for 10 years of track use and 10 years prior to that in my 325is.

Castrol GTX 10W40 in the 328is. Because it's cheap and readily available.

OwnedbyDuncan
10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Used Valvoline 20w50 in my E30325i for 16 years and 237k miles without a problem. Redline in the tranny, rearend and radiator

In my Element right now since the dealer is fairly decent Mobil1 5w20
Will probably switch to Redline shortly. Redline will go in transaxle but Honda fluid for the rear diff.

Dave Apker and the collies
Honda Element but the Duncan and Kate want me to buy them a restored Defender 110 reengined diesel for Christmas

ChosenGSR
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Never had an issue with Mobile 1 Synthetic, been using it in other cars as well. Honestly I don't think it makes much difference these days, all oils are very good, especially at the intervals that us junkies change oil.

Biggins
10-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Never had an issue with Mobile 1 Synthetic, been using it in other cars as well. Honestly I don't think it makes much difference these days, all oils are very good, especially at the intervals that us junkies change oil.
I concur... I use Amsoil synthetic 5w30 only because that's what my mechanic puts in my car. I used Castrol GTX on my previous cars and my BMW when I still actually changed the oil myself.

FYI, Jiffy Lube uses Amsoil.

orijinal_poser
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
i use:

Castrol full syntec 10w30

or

Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40

JC5
10-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Really? I didn't know that.

OwnedbyDuncan
10-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Back in the early 80's at the Fall race at Watkins Glen was helping out the Electrodyne crew on their 934 since they were nice enough to give me and my dad two free tickets. They were low on oil and AL Collins their engine builder and guru told the mechanic just buy what he could find motor oil is motor oil.

Still remember the ole wives tale about using Castrol on new or rebuilt engines. And just never trusted Amsoil. Always preferred Redline or Mobil

///MARINE
10-17-2007, 07:31 AM
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic on my 1988 ///M6 only because that is what the previous owner used since 1995. I use BMW full Synthetic on the 1995 ///M3 and BMW conventional oil on the non-Ms. I use Redline Lubricants in the Transmissions and Differentials of all my vehicles. My experience as a Lad in the Marine Corps wrenching on all me and buddies' my Honda's, Nissans, Fords, etc. while dreaming of owning a legendary ///M someday led me to believe that oil is oil as well. My only rule is to stay consistent. I like to keep the same oil that the previous owner kept it running with. I also like to run the same gasoline all the time. I prefer Exxon 93. The Gas at Wawa may be a few cents cheaper but they get it from the lowest bidder. As previous posters noted, as much as BMW stalkers change our oil, we could probably use Crisco and be fine!

woodym3
10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
AL Collins their engine builder and guru told the mechanic just buy what he could find motor oil is motor oil.

Still remember the ole wives tale about using Castrol on new or rebuilt engines. And just never trusted Amsoil. Always preferred Redline or Mobil
And in college I thought beer is beer. . . .

What was the ole wives' tale about Castrol?
Woody

OwnedbyDuncan
10-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Woody,

Ole Wives tale is Castrol would prevent proper breaking in of the new or rebuilt engine. Rings wouldnt seat correctly or something. After engine was broken in it was fine to use Castrol.

Woody didnt you go to college during Prohibition?

My collies herding education cost more than my 4years at GMU from 77 to 81 by a factor of 8 times. Tuition averaged $400 a semester. Bummer when I got Mason they ended free beer on Mason and Patriot Day. at least they can do something useful with the their titles and sheepskin!

Dave Apker

orijinal_poser
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
while i've never heard anything specifically about castrol preventing proper break-in, there is truth that synthetics should not be used when breaking in a fresh motor.

synthetic oil's properties are too slick to allow the rings to properly seat. it is best to use conventional oil when breaking in a brand new motor.

but i'm sure many of you already knew that. ;)

Zchild
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
:icon_blah Only Mobil 1 0w-40 goes in my bimmer, 239,000 miles and counting, Happy Motoring...
:icon_poke

Real M3
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
I have used Mobil 1 with the silver cap, not the gold cap extended life variety for all my vehicles for the past 8 or 9 years.

I use the 15W50 for the White Beast on track and I use the 5W30 for the two street/daily drivers.

Seems to have worked out fine for me.

JC5
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
there is truth that synthetics should not be used when breaking in a fresh motor.

synthetic oil's properties are too slick to allow the rings to properly seat. it is best to use conventional oil when breaking in a brand new motor.

I had only vaguely heard of that, but it was in reguards to the M engines. Why it wouldn't apply to regular non-M engines is beyond me.

Most engines from the show room floor would cover this aspect, hmmm. BMW would put the appropriate oil in to "beak-in oil" in the engine? Right?

JC5
10-17-2007, 04:41 PM

I cannot find anything to support this claim. The only info presented is that Jiffy Lube uses Penzoil.

vjmvjmvjm
10-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Except that brand new engines come from the factory with synthetics. With modern manufacturing techniques, this is no longer an issue. If you're rebuilding your own, then perhaps this is still valid advice.

while i've never heard anything specifically about castrol preventing proper break-in, there is truth that synthetics should not be used when breaking in a fresh motor.

Biggins
10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I cannot find anything to support this claim. The only info presented is that Jiffy Lube uses Penzoil.
I can take a photo of the Jiffy Lube down the block with the huge Amsoil banner over each of their bays. :confused:

Maybe just this branch uses it?

vjmvjmvjm
10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Jiffy Lube is a franchise operation, so the individual dealers have some latitude in which products they use. Some franchisees own multiple locations. The corporate operations are owned by Pennzoil, which is owned by SOPUS - Shell Oil Products US (which also owns Quaker State). But you're likely to find most any brand of oil depending upon the individual dealer.

I used Jiffy Lube regularly when I lived in California. It was a convenient place to dispose of my used oil, after changing my oil at home.

Everything you wanted to know about Jiffy Lube is here:

http://www.knbc.com/mechanicinvestigation/index.html

Vic

woodym3
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Woody,

Ole Wives tale is Castrol would prevent proper breaking in of the new or rebuilt engine. Rings wouldnt seat correctly or something. After engine was broken in it was fine to use Castrol.

Speaking of Castrol, this past Sunday I was working the course at the SCCA autocross when the junior karts were running. They were putting out a distinctive odor that brought back memories of sports car races in the 50s and 60s. At that time the popular oil for the racers was a Castrol product that contained castor oil (thus the brand name I assume). It turns out this castor oil is still popular for the karts. I was also told is is considered carcinogenic.
There used to be a company that sold LP records with recordings of races and engines revving in the pits. Sounds of Sebring was one popular title. The record were sold through mail order and you could pay extra for a small can of the Castrol castor oil to heat in a pan on the stove while you listened to the cars.

Bruce N
10-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning! It smells like racing!

OwnedbyDuncan
10-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I used to think there was no better aroma in the morning then the smell of warm engines and gearboxes, hot brakes and clutches and tires at operating temps.

Now its the smell of sheep, sheep poop and damp collies in the morning.
And a mason jar of Virginia's best corn liqour untaxed of course.

Yeah there is one smell that beats them both but this board allows minors right!

Woody some posters dont know what an LP is or a turntable.

Linn Sondek rules.

Dave Apker and the collies

1996 328ti
10-18-2007, 08:51 PM
I love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning! It smells like racing!To me it smells like yard work. :biggrin:

Bimmer3
10-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Since OG Racing carries it, I've used Red Line oil in my engine for years now. I use 10W40 all year, and change it every 6 months (about 10K miles) at RRT's recommendation. I've had no leaks, it hardly burns oil at all, and the car gets revved to "red line" daily. :) I take it for granted so much now, that I have to remind myself to check it occasionally.

Brian Hair

woodym3
10-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning! It smells like racing!
Ugh. The Castor oil has its own unique smell.

Ahmed303
11-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I use Amsoil Racing Synthetic 20W50 for the 8 and BMW/Castrol 5W30 for the Z3. Used to use Mobil 1 15W50 on the 8 before.

Ahmed303
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Anyone use Motul oils here? I like their Brake Fluid, but never used their Motor oil.

mcoupemindy
12-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I've been quite happy running Mobil 1.

But, I'm anal about it ... 5K and it's out.

JC5
12-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Seems like 5,000 miles is about the adverage amount of miles people are changing their oil.

woodym3
12-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Anyone use Motul oils here? I like their Brake Fluid, but never used their Motor oil.
I'm using Motul (8100 E Tech?) in my M Coupe at the suggestion of RRT. It costs around ~$10. Is it good? How would I know? First time I've used a synthetic.

Jase007
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Mobil1 0W40 in my 528iT for BMW LL01 but, I change it every 4-5K or so.

Have run Valvoline dinosaur in my E30s ... one of them using it for about 200,000 miles now. :) Good results after 15+ years ... so far. :)

Brad Penn Racing in on-track P-cars as well as Valvoline Racing 20w-50 ... but think that will be changing to Swepco motor oil [for flat tappet engines : non-hydraulic) b/c even Valvoline Race has reduced friction modifiers ...

See www.bobistheoilguy.com

And good tech info from Charles N at his site: www.LNEngineering.com

Oil is the "life blood" for air / oil cooled motors ....

woodym3
01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been using Valvoline Racing 20W50 in my M3 since I bought it 11 years ago (and the previous owner did too). I replaced the rod bearings as a precaution at 162,700 miles (Sept 2006). They were fine and the nationally known tech said the engine inards were clean as a whistle.

Jenson Button
01-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Brad Penn Racing in on-track P-cars
Oil is the "life blood" for air / oil cooled motors ....

I just got myself a couple of cases of the Brad Penn for my Porkchop. I have not put it in yet, but it was as close as I could get to the old Kendal GT the previous owner ran in it.

The 97 M3 and 2001 Audi Allroad both get Mobil 1 15W-50 at twice the indicated intervals. At about 150 track days, I had the hydraulic lifters replaced in Vader because of loud tapping. I was told that everything else in the motor looked brand new. Not bad after nearly 10 years of track use, but I pussy foot around in that car.

Oh, the Toyota pick-em-up gets Castrol GTX 10W-30 because I got it with 130K on the clock and I was afraid of switching so late in the motor's life.

chicane
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
ONLY Castrol TWS in the E46 M3.

BlazenXLT
03-03-2008, 11:15 AM
ONLY Castrol TWS in the E46 M3.

Yup, no choice there. 10W-60 castrol only.

ERGriffin
03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I am a fan of Lubro Moly myself.

Bob
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
I've never used any synthetic in my Bimmers, have flogged a 533 and a home made M3 relentlessly with no engine lube problems. All of these oil discussions seem academic without anyone experiencing a failure that could be attributed to an oil shortcoming. I've always felt that the early and exclusive synthetic oil regimen only guaranteed that future owners would have a nice engine! excepting you diehards who keep a car forever(Woody).

bimmer325imt
01-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow, what great stories about motor oil. Wayne Dempsy from Pelicanparts.com mentioned about Consumer Report. They did a study btwn synthetic and regular motor oil//they bought two new cabs and set them loose in NYC for # of months and then took both engines apart. Final result was neither performed better than the other. So motor oil is truly motor oil. Stay away from companies and their marketing hype which will sell you any kind of snake oil for higher price. Our 325I owners manual will describe what oil u should use given the various range of temperature. So stick to your owners manual and not to the marketing fluff.

bimmer325imt
01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I buy my motor oil at Walmart. Which has oil's from major brands to Walmart's brand.

chicane
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Well after a few years of Mobile 1, the motor oil in the family cars was changed to Amsoil. We have been running 0w-30 and 5w-30 in 2 BMW's, 1 Subaru and a Ford Ranger with no issues for about a year now. Amsoil was choosen for it's performance characteristics, ability to protect from engine wear, and a slight underdog factor.

What are you running and why?

Amsoil is not an API rated oil and is not on BMW's approved list of oils for our engines.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

JC5
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
That link also cites an API rating which Amsoil does fall into https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

chicane
01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
That link also cites an API rating which Amsoil does fall into https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

Not API certified. And NOT recommended by the OEM. When my engine is at stake I will only use BMW recommended fluids. Which is cheaper 5 quarts of oil or a new engine?

JC5
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
OK I'll make it easy for you.

"AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine"

"APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 with the following worldwide specifications:

• API SM/CF, SL, SJ …
• ILSAC GF-4, 3 …
• ACEA A5/B5-04
• GM 4718M, 6094M
• Ford WSS-M2C929-A
• Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
• VW 503.00
• Honda/Acura HTO-06 "

And if you don't want to run it that's fine.

chicane
01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
OK I'll make it easy for you.

"AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine"

"APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 with the following worldwide specifications:

• API SM/CF, SL, SJ …
• ILSAC GF-4, 3 …
• ACEA A5/B5-04
• GM 4718M, 6094M
• Ford WSS-M2C929-A
• Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
• VW 503.00
• Honda/Acura HTO-06 "

And if you don't want to run it that's fine.

And I'll make it even easier for you. It is not API certified. What benchmarks are being used here to determine that Amsoil is as good or better than an API rated oil? Reciting Amsoil talking points does not change the fact that these oils are NOT recommended for BMW engines. These are:

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

JC5
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
How is it not API

The BMW site, you provided, specifies API of SM or better

Amsoil is SM or better

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

mcoupemindy
01-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I think you guys need to unplug for a little bit!

JC5
01-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Okay....

I thought it was friendly banter

chicane
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
How is it not API

The BMW site, you provided, specifies API of SM or better

Amsoil is SM or better

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

Sorry, not certified:

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2008_worried_over_warranties.pdf

Amsoil takes great pains to obfuscate the fact that many of their oils are not API certified stating that they are of "API quailified" or can be used in place of oils with the following API ratings.

http://www.oilsandlube.com/amsoil_api_licensing.htm

Just use the oils specified by BMW and you don't need to worry about warranty issues.

chicane
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I think you guys need to unplug for a little bit!

A friendly discussion (and this board could use a few)...chill.

JC5
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I see your point, and it's interesting.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a warranty in over 100,000 miles. Which is a reason I wanted to play with other oil manufactures (among other things with the car). Technically the only value has in sentimental, since on a lot it might fetch $5000.

So there has to be other oil manufacturers that put out a good product not approved by mother BMW

vjmvjmvjm
01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
FWIW, here is Amsoil's answer to why all of their oils aren't API certified:

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/API_Licensing.htm

Note the discussion on warranty claims.

And how would the dealer know that you used Amsoil or some other non-API certified oil?

Vic

chicane
01-29-2009, 08:19 PM
FWIW, here is Amsoil's answer to why all of their oils aren't API certified:

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/API_Licensing.htm

Note the discussion on warranty claims.

And how would the dealer know that you used Amsoil or some other non-API certified oil?

Vic

I already provided this link. They can actually test oils and deduce what base-stocks and additives where used to determine the type of oil. There are companies that do nothing but test old oil.

Scotty
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Top of the list of Controversial Threads With No Possible Resolution And Infinite I-Got-The-Last-Word Posts.

What's The Best Oil?
Which Cold Air Intake Should I Get?
Which Exhaust Sounds Best?
Turbo or Engine Swap?
How Do I Become A Professional Racer?
Can I Put These Giant Rims On My Car?
Which Seat Should I Get?
Can I Track My Convertible?
Why Don't The New Models Have Dipsticks?
What's The Best Roll Cage Design?

All in good fun. :cool:

Bob
01-30-2009, 08:02 AM
#11, Why ain't I fast, my car is red and very expensive!

JC5
01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
:icon_haha

Dave M
02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I use Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage. Occasionally I have switched to a 50w in mid track season.

woodym3
02-01-2009, 02:16 PM
#11, Why ain't I fast, my car is red and very expensive!
#12: What's the best tire?
#13: What's the best brake pad?

Real M3
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
#12: What's the best tire?
#13: What's the best brake pad?

#14 Why would anybody want anything other than a Real M3?

JC5
02-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Are there a bunch of poser M3's cruising around?

woodym3
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Are there a bunch of poser M3's cruising around?

Some would say, "any built after 1990."

chicane
02-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Some would be wrong; (said the owner of an E46 and E36 M3).
Both of which would take the E30 to school.

Scotty
02-03-2009, 08:53 AM

:icon_clap Good one Woody!

Oh! I just found another: "What gasoline octane rating should I run in my randomly modified engine?"

Jenson Button
02-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I like to refer to my black car as a 332is so the Real M3 crowd (ie Chucky G) can bask in the glory of his vastly superior car and its 3 additional throttle bodies.

slantsixm3
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, exactly. That's why I refer to my humble '98 as a slantsixm3.

Back to this oil thing, I have been using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for the last 6 years or so, before that, I ran Castrol 20W50 conventional for the first 40k miles, just to ensure the engine broke in fully. In the 90's some engines had a "never broken in fully" syndrome when run on full synthetic from day one. Modernization of manufacturing techniques including better surface finishes have all but eliminated that issue these days.

Times change, technology advances. Using rules your Dad applied to his '62 Buick will waste valuable resources and your hard-earned money. Keep up to date and do what the manufacturer recommends.

Back in the old days (yeah that's me), the hottest of the hot rod Chevys were the ones that were run WFO from day one. They would loosen up a little more and run very strong afterwards. This even from Chevy engineering. You could run 'em hard, just keep them in the temp range.

That said, one must never, never overheat a new motor. Not good for an old one, either.

Enjoy your BMW.:)

Bob
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Original build date, or a later customization? i.e. 87eta with 95 drivetrain and brakes.

woodym3
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Original build date, or a later customization? i.e. 87eta with 95 drivetrain and brakes.

M3s Bob.
Any "customization" lacking windows is hard to be considered a real anything.
Woody ;-)

Bob
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I had a driver's window! maybe not this year,though.

Real M3
02-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I like to refer to my black car as a 332is so the Real M3 crowd (ie Chucky G) can bask in the glory of his vastly superior car and its 3 additional throttle bodies.

Damn, missed this taunt originally! Oh well, I let it go for now, and just consider the source. :icon_fing

JC5
02-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Now which is the true 1st M car?

woodym3
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Now which is the true 1st M car?

Good question. The new Motorsport GmbH was formed in 1971 and immediately developed a lightweight 3.0 CS that was called the 3.0 CSL. Within a couple of years racing versions of these cars carried the Motorsports stripes, but no M designation. Likewise, the 1974 2002 Turbo carried Motorsports stripes, but no M designation. The M1 entered production in 1978 and many consider it the first M car.

Trivia item: Bob Lutz, who was announced this week as stepping down as head of GM's Product Development, was an official of BMW AG in 1971 and instrumental in the formation of the Motorsport division.

Neil
02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Trivia item: Bob Lutz, who was announced this week as stepping down as head of GM's Product Development, was an official of BMW AG in 1971 and instrumental in the formation of the Motorsport division.

Is that why the /// Motorsport logo is sometimes referred to as the triple lutz?

Neil

JC5
02-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I had heard some say the 3.0 CSL was reguarded as the first M by some. Then it made me wonder about the 2002 turbo, which doesn't seem to get much press in the M fold.