PDA

View Full Version : Hyperfest

Car54
05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Is anyone going?

https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/show/?event_id=569

They are offering quicky driving schools with about 25min of on track time, Jefferson Circuit.

I did 1 $40 session. Maybe we can start a caravan out there.

Looks like a good time.

Biggins
05-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Is anyone going?

https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/show/?event_id=569

They are offering quicky driving schools with about 25min of on track time, Jefferson Circuit.

I did 1 $40 session. Maybe we can start a caravan out there.

Looks like a good time.
I'll be there allday! I say I'm going just to watch, but I'll probably get stuck in the Main paddock helping someone. :)

The school on the Jefferson is usually PACKED and the drivers who typically do the Jefferson during HyperFest are track virgins. I wanted to do the drifting school (flamesuit on), but it seems they aren't doing the drifting school this year.

Timothy Sullivan
05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I will be attending on of the HPDE schools on the main track. These are similiar to the BMWCCA schools I am told. This is my first NASA event. Unfortunately the course filled over a month ago.

AlfaEric
05-24-2007, 06:23 AM
The school on the Jefferson is usually PACKED and the drivers who typically do the Jefferson during HyperFest are track virgins. I wanted to do the drifting school (flamesuit on), but it seems they aren't doing the drifting school this year.
No drifting? But you've been practicing all year. :tongue:

---Eric

1996 328ti
05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I will be attending on of the HPDE schools on the main track. These are similiar to the BMWCCA schools I am told. This is my first NASA event. Unfortunately the course filled over a month ago.If by 40 cars in a run group as opposed to 20 and students being signed off because instructors are overloaded, yes, just like a BMW school. Good luck.

Scotty
05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I've had a good time with NASA at Summit, VIR, and CMP. Instructors are competent. With the racers being there at the same time, I find the paddock is a lot funner. Works both ways.

Dan Unkefer is by far the most interesting classroom instructor I've listened to.

1996 328ti
05-25-2007, 06:09 AM
I've had a good time with NASA at Summit, VIR, and CMP. Instructors are competent. With the racers being there at the same time, I find the paddock is a lot funner. Works both ways.

Dan Unkefer is by far the most interesting classroom instructor I've listened to.
Perhaps at most NASA events but last year at Hyperfest I thought the run groups were huge. Dan is interesting to say the least.

Some people may like NASA events better than CCA events, that's fine.
I don't doubt the ability of their instructors. I'm sure it's hit or miss just like a BMW school. They are only similar in that it is a driving school. NASA is a for profit company, BMW schools are generally not. NCC schools do not look to turn a profit.

I think DEs combined with racing events make it more difficult for insurance companies to determine coverage. But that is a topic for another thread.

orijinal_poser
05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
i'll be there working corner station/flagging all weekend.

getting my worker credits so I can do a free HPDE weekend cus i'm POOR like that. :)

Timothy Sullivan
05-27-2007, 06:53 PM
If by 40 cars in a run group as opposed to 20 and students being signed off because instructors are overloaded, yes, just like a BMW school. Good luck.

I will say that the BMWCCA schools have been the best as far as instruction. I have attended several events run by for profit companies. There are not enough BMWCCA schools and signup can be a hold your breath and pray you get in experience.

The for profit groups give you an immediate go or no go response
and in order to get enough track time a combination of the two has worked well for me. I like to attend at least one two day event per month and usually attend two per month. I have been afflicted with this illness damn you all for spreading it.:wink:

I have been told that nothing makes up for seat time.

fpol
05-28-2007, 07:34 PM
I have been told that nothing makes up for seat time.

..but I'm not sure that running with 30+ total novices at a hyperfest school really does much in terms of seat time unless the on track equivalent of rush hour on the beltway is appealing.

A good list of events can be found here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670873 (I echo your thoughts about the sit and wait aspect of the BMW CCA signups, but what can one do... :shrug: )

Scotty
05-28-2007, 10:04 PM
In my experience, NASA HPDE 1 is no worse (or better) than running in a full D group CCA event. There are plenty of slow drivers and both have their share of instructors that don't always "mind the mirrors" on behalf of the rookies.

Having said that, NASA will grab the cash when they can. It seems like they put too many cars on track at the popular venues (e.g., Hyperfest and VIR). Getting into the higher run groups helps.

Wish I hadn't missed the signup window. Man, that one filled up fast. :frown:

steve b
06-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I've driven several events with both NASA and BMWCCA. HPDE 1 may be a little crowded but HPDE 2 and above I've found no difference from BMWCCA. In fact, I've had a few runs with BMWCCA were I wished there were more cars on the track. I don't like feeling like I'm the only one on the track (which has happend a couple of times).

The main problem with NASA is lack of track time (3-25 minute runs per day) and no skid pad. But the trade off is sharing the paddock with racers who don't mind answering my dumb questions. Very informative for someone who is planning on going wheel to wheel. (I'm now one comp. school down and one to go)

I'll be there running HPDE3 in an ITA MR2

magnetic1
06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
i'll be there working corner station/flagging all weekend.

getting my worker credits so I can do a free HPDE weekend cus i'm POOR like that. :)

Please black flag Galossi and Pascarella during the Thunder race, thanks. :)

Ill be there racing. Stop by and say hi!

http://brakeswapracing.com/ericwong/pictures/midopumpkin/midohiosig.jpg

1996 328ti
06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Please black flag Galossi and Pascarella during the Thunder race, thanks. :) :wallet:

orijinal_poser
06-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Please black flag Galossi and Pascarella during the Thunder race, thanks. :)

Ill be there racing. Stop by and say hi!

http://brakeswapracing.com/ericwong/pictures/midopumpkin/midohiosig.jpg
hahahhahah.

only for you, wonger :biggrin:

Biggins
06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
I think I'm going to bring an "EZ-UP" tent, grill, and beer and set up camp somewhere in the carousel area where we could see most of the action. It can be an unofficial or official NCC gathering. Anyone else interested?

I'll put my NCC BMWCCA magnets on my car so people who don't know me can find me?

magnetic1
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
hahahhahah.

only for you, wonger :biggrin:

WOOT. :)

profbooty
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
I had fun running in HPDE 3 and fortunaty, was no where near both wrecks.

As usual for hyperfest, the paddock and course was packed, but the weather was quite awesome.

orijinal_poser
06-29-2007, 05:05 PM
profbooty, what vehicle were you running?

i was corner working T6 on saturday & T1 on sunday. the mayhem i tell ya!!!!

profbooty
07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
profbooty, what vehicle were you running?

i was corner working T6 on saturday & T1 on sunday. the mayhem i tell ya!!!!

mystic blue e46m3

steve b
07-05-2007, 09:11 AM
mystic blue e46m3

I was running in the White MR2. My buddy was running the green M3. He said he wanted to get with you to talk about your suspension. Did he ever catch up with you?

profbooty
07-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I was running in the White MR2. My buddy was running the green M3. He said he wanted to get with you to talk about your suspension. Did he ever catch up with you?

No, I can't say that he did. I am running a nearly stock car, only modification is some azenis.

magnetic1
07-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Little late, but here is my recap and videos:

My videos are up.

Too bad camera ran out of batteries for Sat. Was catching Phil Eiseman good until traffic blocked us later on. Doug snuck around when traffic held me up and I ended 3rd.

Sunday's race I was battling for 2nd when my car wouldnt go into gear :( Ended up defending 3rd SUPER hard, but managed to hold on. Guessing a bad clutch slave cylinder. Turned out to be a busted pressure plate :(

http://brakeswapracing.com/ericwong/videos/hyperfest07/

Enjoy and as always comments are welcome.