1996 328ti
04-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Shenandoah Circuit
Pre-registration begins May 14.
Mail in registration period May 29 - June 8

glindsay
05-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Mail in registration period May 29 - June 8

The time is here and the track is right.

orijinal_poser
05-26-2007, 11:47 PM
shenandoah is extremely fun. just did it last weekend.

just curious, how will NCC be doing the shenandoah track? using pit straight?

hwk72
05-29-2007, 05:00 PM
You're policy excludes Convertibles from track events. I've a Porsche 996 Cabriolet and participated at quite a few DE events from PCA, Car guys, VW R32 club, ... at events at Summit Point (Main track and Shenandoah). At Summit Point as a track, Convertibles without roll-bars (just pop-ups) are allowed.

Is your policy strict or depending on underlying track rules?

OwnedbyDuncan
05-29-2007, 07:41 PM
NCC rules are strict. There aren't any exceptions made for either rollbars, roll cages or pop ups.

Dave Apker

jkuper
05-30-2007, 01:44 PM
No Targas either

fpol
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Registration mailed yesterday. Fingers crossed for next few weeks.

KJ
05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
ack, I forgot... so let me pre-register. Or is that no longer necessary? Can't find the link to pre-register.. haaallpppp

1996 328ti
05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
ack, I forgot... so let me pre-register. Or is that no longer necessary? Can't find the link to pre-register.. haaallpppp
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/newthread.php?do=hpde
There are links in the driving school section and upper left block of the message board.

KJ
05-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the link.

NCC rules are strict. There aren't any exceptions made for either rollbars, roll cages or pop ups.

Dave Apker

hwk is part of the group of friends I go to the track with.. sucks he is excluded.

This is probably good for a different discussion thread but why is it so strict with the convertible exclusions?

1996 328ti
05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the link.

hwk is part of the group of friends I go to the track with.. sucks he is excluded.

This is probably good for a different discussion thread but why is it so strict with the convertible exclusions?This really is for a different thread, but. . .
BMW CCA insurance rules require roll bars in all convertibles.
NCC as well as some other chapters forbid them entirely.

Among other reasons, one is ensuring that they are installed properly.
Fortunately our area offers those with convertibles other opportunities to track their car. And some don't care if you have a roll bar or not. Only that your check clears or your credit card is good.

Hokie 335i
05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I have never done any sort of driving school but have always considered doing a FATT. Is this in any way similar to something like that? Also, it looks like you can register for the Saturday, Sunday, or both days. What is the difference in the days? Lastly, if I pre-register, that doesn't mean I'm committed to going right? I'm guessing once I mail in a registration and check then I'm committed, correct?

woodym3
05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
This really is for a different thread, but. . .
BMW CCA insurance rules require roll bars in all convertibles.
NCC as well as some other chapters forbid them entirely.

Among other reasons, one is ensuring that they are installed properly.
Fortunately our area offers those with convertibles other opportunities to track their car. And some don't care if you have a roll bar or not. Only that your check clears or your credit card is good.

In addition to most of our chapter volunteers not being qualified to inspect the structural soundness of roll bars, most of our instructors are concerned about the possibility of a roll bar digging in to the soft gravel traps at Summit Point.

1996 328ti
05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
I have never done any sort of driving school but have always considered doing a FATT. Is this in any way similar to something like that? Also, it looks like you can register for the Saturday, Sunday, or both days. What is the difference in the days? Lastly, if I pre-register, that doesn't mean I'm committed to going right? I'm guessing once I mail in a registration and check then I'm committed, correct?

Pre-registration is so your information doesn't need to be entered into the computer. What counts is that you mail in your applications early.

There is a priority given to those who attend both days. No other chapter that I drive with allow for one day registrations.

If you to do just one day I'd recommend Saturday over Sunday. On Sunday students are improving over Saturday.

OwnedbyDuncan
06-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Unless the stats have changed. Dave Bryant where are you? Most incidents at a 2 day drivers school happen on Sunday. They usually come from the intermediate group and during the last runs of the day. Ego and fatigue are a major factor as to why they happen.

When I was DS coordinator once cars were on the track Saturday morning I relaxed a little bit until lunch on Sunday because I knew what could happen. I could walk the pit lane where the intermediate students were gridded and pick my 5 most likely candidates to have an incident and I my picks were usually right.

Summit Point can be unbearable during the middle of July. Remember if you are not peeing during the school you are not drinking enough. You should be visiting the wonderful facilities at the track on a regular basis. You will feel the effects if you aren't drinking enough by Sunday afternoon.

Dogs and sheep have enough common sense to drink on a regular and as needed basis.

Dave Apker

orijinal_poser
06-13-2007, 09:47 AM
is it too late to sign up? :(

Real M3
06-14-2007, 07:21 AM
is it too late to sign up? :(

The official registration period closed on 9 June so I would guess that you can not register at this time.

M50_328is
07-02-2007, 12:09 AM
The official registration period closed on 9 June so I would guess that you can not register at this time.
I just found out about this at VIR, I now have the money in hand. I joined CCA specifically to do these events. Can we still get in ? My car is teched and I can pay ASAP. I even work near the track and already had my plans layed out.
~Phillip aka "the new guy"

Scany
07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
I could have signed in too, but I'm late and it's my fault, so it's ok. Next time maybe :)

Sigfod
07-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Have acceptance letters gone out yet?

1996 328ti
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Have acceptance letters gone out yet?Yes.
Contact Doug to find out where you stand.

Sigfod
07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks, I will contact him.

1996 328ti
07-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Famous Dave's BBQ added to Saturday evening.
5:30 PM

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/images/social/famousdave.gif

Sigfod
07-14-2007, 07:30 AM

As always you guys rock!

1996 328ti
07-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Thank Dave Miller for this one.

Dirichlet
07-16-2007, 08:34 AM

NICE!!!! :D

Bruce N
07-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Mmmmmmmmm. Yummy!

Real M3
07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, that's good for extra weight in the car on Sunday!

NIce Treat! Thanks!

Scotty
07-16-2007, 02:52 PM
If it's not too late, can I make a weather request? Temp 78 degrees, humidity 40%, popcorn clouds, wind 5 mph from the north. :biggrin:

e30m3sm
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Well, that's good for extra weight in the car on Sunday!

NIce Treat! Thanks!

Chuck: You can always give your brownies to me!:)
You were a good boy down at VIR last month on the whole dessert thing.

PS. I got my white E30M3 back on the road again. The new stock S14 rebuild had its maiden run up at the Glen last week with the Del/Val boys and girls and it was firing on all 4 well tuned cylinders. Now I don't have to eyeball your car.:biggrin:

Gerry

Jenson Button
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
If it's not too late, can I make a weather request? Temp 78 degrees, humidity 40%, popcorn clouds, wind 5 mph from the north. :biggrin:
Sorry, I already placed the weather order. We are looking at rain early in the morning Saturday with drizzle all weekend. Take your rain jacket 'cause this is a skid pad weekend. Your brakes and tires will thank me. ;o)

Real M3
07-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Chuck: You can always give your brownies to me!:)
You were a good boy down at VIR last month on the whole dessert thing.

PS. I got my white E30M3 back on the road again. The new stock S14 rebuild had its maiden run up at the Glen last week with the Del/Val boys and girls and it was firing on all 4 well tuned cylinders. Now I don't have to eyeball your car.:biggrin:

Gerry
Gerry,

OK you can have the brownies! Glad to see that the Real M3 is back on the track. See you on Saturday.

Real M3
07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I already placed the weather order. We are looking at rain early in the morning Saturday with drizzle all weekend. Take your rain jacket 'cause this is a skid pad weekend. Your brakes and tires will thank me. ;o)

OK Bob, so you were the one to blame for the "Full Course" skid pad on Summit Main in March. At least this time, I think, we are safe form snow.

Chuck

e30m3sm
07-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Even if it does rain the SC has lots of grip even when wet.
The asphalt uses a new type of polymer which is responsible for this.
BeaveRun has the same type of asphalt.
It is aslo the reason that track is so hard on tires, Dos anyone else cord their tires on the inside edges there?

Gerry

woodym3
07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
You must have tons of negative camber Gerry. I put significant wear on the outside edges of the Coupe's front tires at the SCCA PDX event Saturday. Got them flipped at Radial this morning.
Woody

e30m3sm
07-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Neg 3 degrees in the M3
Neg 2.5 in the spec miata

That's the only track where I wear out the inside edges and not the outside ones:frown:

Gerry

Real M3
07-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Even if it does rain the SC has lots of grip even when wet.
The asphalt uses a new type of polymer which is responsible for this.
BeaveRun has the same type of asphalt.
It is aslo the reason that track is so hard on tires, Dos anyone else cord their tires on the inside edges there?

Gerry

I corded the outside edges of my right side RA 1s last year at the SC, during the Mazda event, but in all fairness, it was about the 11th event, both DEs and autox, on the tires and they had already been flipped by Radial. So probably not a good measure.:)

dbonner
07-18-2007, 08:02 AM
I corded the outside edges of my right side RA 1s last year at the SC, during the Mazda event, but in all fairness, it was about the 11th event, both DEs and autox, on the tires and they had already been flipped by Radial. So probably not a good measure.:)

I'm sure I'll be ready for a new set of RA-1 Proxes on the M5 after this weekend (or the new tire that Toyo just released; Radial doesn't even have treadwear/performance reports on it yet). Just had Radial flip mine too on Monday. I'm going to need 3.0 degrees neg. camber myself. :wink:

BonBahn

Dirichlet
07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
We've got good weather (low 80's, no rain), an awesome track, and a BBQ... anybody else fired up about this weekend?

Bruce N
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Me! :icon_rock

dbonner
07-19-2007, 03:54 PM
We've got good weather (low 80's, no rain), an awesome track, and a BBQ... anybody else fired up about this weekend?
Sure beats that weather guarantee from earlier this week. NEVER, EVER give too much credence to the weather forecast before Thursday when you have a driving event that weekend. "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

BonBahn

tschangrx7
07-20-2007, 08:25 AM
What is the recommended arrival time for this Drivers' School?
Is there a Schedule of Events available to look at?

Thanks.

OwnedbyDuncan
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
By about 700am. That way you have time to unpack your car, check in etc.

And watch your speed if you are coming in on RT 7 and going home. VA State troopers maybe running radar/laser on W Rt7 at thr Rt 9 interchange and then in median strip after Rt 9 on W Rt7. Coming home they love to hang out at the bottom of Mt Weather E Rt 7 at the first cut through and then again right before the Leesburg business exit. Not sure where they hang out these days after the Rt 15 exit.

I just set the cruise control a needle widths below 65mph and have never had a problem in 25 or so years of heading up to either Summit Point or now Berryville for herding lessons or a herding trial.

Will be going up next week to work a Border Collie trial in Berryville beats the BMWCCA club race. Anyone who wants to see what herding trials are all about I can give you directions it less than 10 minutes from Rt 7 and Rt340 interchange. No PETA terrorist allowed.

Dave Apker and the collies

Bruce N
07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Have you read your acceptance letter? They recommend arriving around 7am, mandatory driver's meeting is 8am and you'll need to have already had your car through the tech inspection by then.

tschangrx7
07-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks!

Bruce N
07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
See you there! :icon_peac

Scotty
07-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm a bit confused about the paddock map. I am familiar with the Shenandoah layout but why the "No Parking" dotted line ... OH. We're using the Shenandoah skidpad! OK, so we are supposed to park only on the perimeter along the main straight, correct?

Dirichlet
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Excellent school!!! Thanks to the instructors and oranizers who constructed this event for our enjoyment (and education :D )... To those who didn't make it, I can only say :p :p :p

ChosenGSR
07-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Shenandoah is a blast, I'll be there with MB on Aug 4/5 :)

Torquewrench
07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Excellent school. A big thank you to the organizers, instructors, and my fellow students. What a fun weekend!

Alan
07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
A huge thumbs up for everyone in the NCC that contributed to making this event as enjoyable, smooth and helpful as it was. You efforts are greatly appreciated!

Alan Z.

Scotty
07-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Fantastic weekend! Thanks to everyone who helped to put this together. I had a great time - no offs and no spins (well, except for the skid pad). :)

Jenson Button
07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Some shots of the wonderful weather and enemy car ;o)

gnhovis
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks to all for a great event. I really appreciated the small run groups -- it often seemed like you had the track all to yourself! Click the image for a page with some in-car video or click here (http://www.georgeco.org/?p=74).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/887998183_6a9065cbca.jpg?v=0 (http://www.georgeco.org/?p=74)

Real M3
07-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Some shots of the wonderful weather and enemy car ;o)

Gee Bob, that doesn't look like the line you wanted me to try!

Thanks again for putting up with me in the left seat for the weekend and thanks to all for a wonderful weekend.

And Gerry, did you get the ground hog guts out of your wheel well yet?

Jenson Button
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Gee Bob, that doesn't look like the line you wanted me to try!

Chuck,
Do as I say, not as I do ;op

Really it is safer that way.

I would be happy to ride in your right seat anytime!

e30m3sm
07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
There was this very Guards Red 911 Carerra on the track with us and it was on crappy street tires.....oh was that you Bob?

Seriously nice Pork Chop Bob.

Chuck, no guts no glory. Hey, he was already dead when I sorta ran over him. You know, I was looking at track out, not the debris on the track.:cool:

Very nice school and a big thank you to everyone who helped organize it esp. our chief instructor Bill Shook! Nice job Bill.

Gerry

dinomite
07-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I didn't really catch anything exciting, but here are a few pictures from last weekend. I was standing on the bridge during and instructor session on Sunday and got some skidpad pictures.

http://gallery.dinomite.net/v/Cars/Track/2007+Shenandoah/

Jenson Button
07-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I didn't really catch anything exciting/[/url]

They may not look that exciting to you, but I think they are great shots.

Real M3
07-27-2007, 07:30 AM
They may not look that exciting to you, but I think they are great shots.

And of course that comment has nothing to do with the fact that a Guard's Red Whale Tail is in several of the shots!:)

'Course the red porshay IS chasing a white "Real M3" and not getting past it.........

Still they are nice shots of the event, thanks for posting!

e30m3sm
07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
dynomite-Drew: Thanks for posting the photos! Hope you had fun at the school.:)

Is anyone going to the NJ chapter club race/school? I will be up at Summit Main teaching classroom in the AM and helping Dan Martin as his "crew" in the PM.
There will be a BBQ (Mr. B's) and BEER 6-6:30!:biggrin:

Gerry