PDA

View Full Version : Cai

Zchild
03-19-2007, 07:23 PM
:icon_blah I have what my be a rather simple question for the gearheads and bimmer dreamers. I purchased a Jim Conforti Cold Air Intake for my bimmer. My question deals with the cone filter. I installed it and added the oil to the cone, however I don't remember how often i'm supposed to re-oil it to keep it moist or replace it. Thanks in advance for all of your valuable information. Happy Motoring...
:icon_poke

1996 328ti
03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I clean it during each Inspection.

Zchild
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I clean it during each Inspection.

:icon_blah Steven, praytell how do you clean it and after I clean it do I re-moisten it with the oil. TIA...

1996 328ti
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
It usually comes with the CAI.
There is a cleaning solution then you spray it with an oil solution.
The trick it to let it dry thoroughly. If the filter is not dry it messes up your MAF.

Zchild
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
:icon_blah Thanks Steven, I do have the cleaning solution as well as the oil to reseal the filter, I just wasn't sure how often I should service the filter to keep it working optimally. Happy Motoring...

mlytle
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
clean it when it starts to look dirty. oiled filters flow better than stock when they are clean, but their efficiency goes bad a lot faster than a stock paper one. it only takes a couple thousand miles for an oiled filter to be worse than a paper one.

cleaning is easy. take filter off. spray the cleaner on the OUTSIDE. any citrus cleaner will do. let it sit for 10 minutes. rinse filter out by flowing water under LOW pressure into the inside of the filter to push the dirt back out of the filter. let filter dry completely. do not use heat to speed the process. lightly spray evenly with oil. let sit for a half hour for oil to absorb. lightly spray more oil IF you find any light/uncovered spots. reinstall filter.

the jc cai's came with a different kind of filter that reportedly fell apart with frequent washings. carefully inspect it when cleaning for signs of degradation. do a google search on "ITG filters" and you wil find more info on this problem.

marshall

1996 328ti
03-19-2007, 10:44 PM
the jc cai's came with a different kind of filter that reportedly fell apart with frequent washings. carefully inspect it when cleaning for signs of degradation. do a google search on "ITG filters" and you wil find more info on this problem.I've been lucky so far. I try not to get the foam that is glued to the metal too wet.

jhm5
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
if you over-oil these filters, you can ruin the air mass sensor or air flow meter.