PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering why we can't use PayPal or another online payment system?

lax01
01-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Seems a lot easier and more efficient than sending in a check (heh I'm young and hardly EVER write checks, so it just seems old-fashioned)...has there been any talk of doing some type of online ordering system? I don't know how the other chapters do it but I would think it would be less of a paper-process and easier to manage...I dunno, just wondering

OwnedbyDuncan
01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I would suspect it is easier for the chapter to accept checks only since if the school is oversubscribed they can just return or destroy the check rather than go through whatever process is necessary for online refund and there is no cost other than stamps.

Just FYI herding trials still want checks too. No online payment yet. Same reason.

And if the event should be cancelled for whatever reason it is easier to return a check.

Also remember you are usually sending in your check months in advance.
Checks are just easier for the folks running the event.

Dave Apker

lax01
01-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess so...but how hard is it to hit the button for REFUND...

However, I honestly don't know how the process works for refunds, so I don't know if the club holds checks until a few weeks before the school and then use them...? So if you don't get in, they just mail the check back to you? I guess that makes sense

ErikT
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Paypal is a bit of a pain, IMHO. The fees for using a credit card are pretty high ($20/per transaction in some instances). You can transfer money by using routing numbers for your bank, but it takes 3-4 business days before the funds are available and another 3-4 business days for the receiving party to actually have the cash deposited.

1996 328ti
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Seems a lot easier and more efficient than sending in a check (heh I'm young and hardly EVER write checks, so it just seems old-fashioned)...has there been any talk of doing some type of online ordering system? I don't know how the other chapters do it but I would think it would be less of a paper-process and easier to manage...I dunno, just wonderingHey, I'm old and they only checks I write are for driving schools.

We have actually come a long way to where we are now.
This is our second year with our online pre-registration.
Previously the registrar would open 80 envelopes, search for the name in our driving school database and either add or update the student's information. Then mail out acceptance letters and registration packets. It was a lot of paper and postage. Plus man hours.

With our present system the registration information is waiting on his computer and he can easily compare the registration form to what is in our master database. It still takes time, but much less than before. Acceptance letters and registration packets are now sent via email unless someone doesn't respond to the acceptance letter. That is another improvement over past years. And no longer do we need to be able to read handwriting, plus we have valid email addresses for everyone. It wasn't very long ago when I was told, not everyone has a computer.

I am not against payments on-line, even though the fees can be high.
But take our March school. 86 people have pre-registered. That means 20 people would have to get a refund. With checks, the checks are simply torn up. Takes a lot less time. While paying online is more convenient for the end user, it is not for the registrar. That is not to say it will never happen. Our pre-registration system is still being tweaked and I'd have to figure a clean way to work payments into the system. But sometimes it takes 4-5 days to get a payment from paypal depending on how the person has it tied to their money.

Our registration process requires people to send in photocopies of their insurance card and drivers' license. Since they already have to mail something in, a check only makes sense. If we did not require those documents, I'd think about online paying a bit more seriously.

Also I like that we base acceptance in part by postmark date. We have a lot of people who travel who can't be at their computer the minute registration opens. Just look at the SCCA registration. If you are not at your computer the minute registration opens, you may not get in. Postmark makes it fairer for everyone. This year Tarheel will be using a online registration payment system. I'll be curious to see how it effects registration. I'll be at my computer the minute registration opens.

I' be glad to talk further about it in March.

lax01
01-19-2007, 12:35 AM
very valid points...it really does make sense the way you are doing it...I just have to go and find a check ;)

Real M3
01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
very valid points...it really does make sense the way you are doing it...I just have to go and find a check ;)

Heh heh, USPS Money Order works for me!

woodym3
01-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Are you saying you don't have checks Chuck? Doesn't the money order come with a hefty fee?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Are you saying you don't have checks Chuck? Doesn't the money order come with a hefty fee?
I think you'll find that there a lot of folks who would be happy to pay a reasonable fee not to have to deal with checks and mailing.

Real M3
01-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Woody,

USPS Money Orders cost only $ .75 so they are reasonable. Only issue arises when you do not get into a school. And then you have to deal with the USPS to get your money back. :frown:

So mail early!

1996 328ti
01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, I figured a way to easily take paypal. The message board has a paid subscription function. Once a person pays I can have the software note that they are paid. They would still need to mail in their form, just wouldn't need to write a check. And those whoe prefer checks can do so. But this causes more work for others. I'll continue to think about it over the year.

lax01
01-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, I figured a way to easily take paypal. The message board has a paid subscription function. Once a person pays I can have the software note that they are paid. They would still need to mail in their form, just wouldn't need to write a check. And those whoe prefer checks can do so. But this causes more work for others. I'll continue to think about it over the year.

don't forget $.28 +3% for Paypal fees if you do decide to take payment this way...

1996 328ti
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
don't forget $.28 +3% for Paypal fees if you do decide to take payment this way...I'll speak to people at the drivers meeting to see how others feel about it. But with new things, we can't make more work for volunteers. The way I see it is all registrations go to the paypal account. We issue refunds using paypal. Once the school is over money is transferred to our bank account. But we still need to use the mail.

Car54
01-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't a bill paying service suffice for those who pay their bills electronically/bill-pay? For those who don't know, it actually mails a paper check to the payee. Just enter the info like address and amount, put whatever you want in the memo. Wachovia offers a free account for bill-pay.

1996 328ti
01-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't a bill paying service suffice for those who pay their bills electronically/bill-pay? For those who don't know, it actually mails a paper check to the payee. Just enter the info like address and amount, put whatever you want in the memo. Wachovia offers a free account for bill-pay.The check would need to be included with the registration form. It wouldn't be practical.