PDA

View Full Version : NCC March 17-18 Drivers' School

1996 328ti
12-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Pre-registration (http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/newthread.php?do=hpde) begins January 8.
You can update the form prior to the pre-registration date.
Note: You will not be able to submit it until pre-registration begins.

The registration procedure and Admissions Policy is here (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=135,0,0,1,0,0).

FT
12-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Steven, has the price been determined yet for DEs in 2007, any increases expected?

1996 328ti
12-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Steven, has the price been determined yet for DEs in 2007, any increases expected?
Despite expected increases in insurance and track rentals, NO.
We will keep the same registration fee we have had for the past few years.

FT
12-29-2006, 09:29 PM
That's good news :)

Thank you.

sstarch1
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Is this event a two day or one day event?

1996 328ti
01-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Is this event a two day or one day event?It is a two day event but you can register for one day. Priority goes to those attending both days over one.

Edit: Are you a member of the National Capital Chapter?

jongchen
01-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Pre-registration (http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/newthread.php?do=hpde) begins January 8.

The registration procedure and Admissions Policy is here (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=135,0,0,1,0,0).

Did the submit get turned on early accidentally? It's Jan 3rd and while updating the form I clicked on submit and it looked like it worked.

1996 328ti
01-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Did the submit get turned on early accidentally? It's Jan 3rd and while updating the form I clicked on submit and it looked like it worked.All things are set on the registrar's end so I enabled it.
I did not want to forget for next week.

Just don't mail in your form early!
Each school we get one or two a day early.
They automatically go to the back of the pile.

Edit: All test pre-registrations prior to Jan 1 have been deleted.
Anyone wanting to register must pre-register again.

sstarch1
01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
It is a two day event but you can register for one day. Priority goes to those attending both days over one.

Edit: Are you a member of the National Capital Chapter?

Hi,

Im currently a memeber of the Windy City Chapter, but i will be moving to alexandria on January 13th. I have already emailed someone about switching my chapter.

Im just wondering, since i have never attended any driving schools, if the same lessons are taught on both days, although i realise that no matter what they "teach", the more days you have on the track the better.

1996 328ti
01-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Im just wondering, since i have never attended any driving schools, if the same lessons are taught on both days, although i realise that no matter what they "teach", the more days you have on the track the better.
The only difference might be with our excercises. One day we may do off-line exercises and the other we may do no-brakes exercises.

orijinal_poser
01-04-2007, 03:11 AM
oooh, $175 sounds like a deal for summit point!!

are we looking at about 2 hrs of seat time?

1996 328ti
01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
oooh, $175 sounds like a deal for summit point!!
are we looking at about 2 hrs of seat time?
$350 for the weekend.
I don't have a schedule in front of me but typically there are (4) ~25 minutes sessions, plus skid pad and classroom.

orijinal_poser
01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
$350 for the weekend.
I don't have a schedule in front of me but typically there are (4) ~25 minutes sessions, plus skid pad and classroom.
oh ok. that is good seat time!

i see on the event page, it says that NCC does all 3 circuits @<hidden> summit point. will this drivers school be doing all 3 or just summit point main circuit?

thanks

1996 328ti
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
oh ok. that is good seat time!

i see on the event page, it says that NCC does all 3 circuits @<hidden> summit point. will this drivers school be doing all 3 or just summit point main circuit?

thanks
Just one track at a time, although the Jefferson we change directions on Sunday. BTW- Happy Birthday.

orijinal_poser
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Just one track at a time, although the Jefferson we change directions on Sunday. BTW- Happy Birthday.
wow, you really get your money's worth.

thanks!

1996 328ti
01-04-2007, 08:40 PM
wow, you really get your money's worth.We think you get a good value. Plus we sometimes include dinner.

Dirichlet
01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not gonna make this one :(

But, I'll be in the USVI, so I guess I won't be complaining too much :D

dbonner
01-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Wow. The Summit Main event is early this year. Could be a fun March with TarHeel Full Circuit two weeks earlier. :biggrin:

1996 328ti
01-06-2007, 09:06 AM
The Summit Main event is early this year.That's just how the dates worked out this year.

profbooty
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I tried to preregister today with no success. It says I need to answer every question but I have checked every box and everything is filled in except for the comments section.

1996 328ti
01-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I tried to preregister today with no success. It says I need to answer every question but I have checked every box and everything is filled in except for the comments section.
It looks like you got is squared away.
What was wrong?

profbooty
01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
It looks like you got is squared away.
What was wrong?

Turns out that while I put in the number of days on summit main, I didn't put a zero in for number of days on the jefferson circuit.

1996 328ti
01-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Turns out that while I put in the number of days on summit main, I didn't put a zero in for number of days on the jefferson circuit.The default is zero to prevent that from happening. I wonder if you deleted it by accident? Also that field should have been filled in yellow to show that is is required. I'll take another look at it.

profbooty
01-09-2007, 04:11 PM
The default is zero to prevent that from happening. I wonder if you deleted it by accident? Also that field should have been filled in yellow to show that is is required. I'll take another look at it.

I don't recall deleting the zeros. Seems like an odd thing to happen.

1996 328ti
01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't recall deleting the zeros. Seems like an odd thing to happen.Nope. You're right. The zeros aren't automatically showing up by default. Oh well. Something to work on for the next time.

TMB_540i
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm not gonna make this one :(

But, I'll be in the USVI, so I guess I won't be complaining too much :D

I am not going to be able to make this one either.:frown: I have an annual commitment that occurs on this same weekend. I will miss the Main circuit with NCC but I may have to see about doing Main circuit with Delaware Valley Chapter or New Jersey Chapter's Advanced school this year instead.:rolleyes:

Dirichlet
01-11-2007, 08:13 AM
I am not going to be able to make this one either.:frown: I have an annual commitment that occurs on this same weekend. I will miss the Main circuit with NCC but I may have to see about doing Main circuit with Delaware Valley Chapter or New Jersey Chapter's Advanced school this year instead.:rolleyes:

I joined Tarheel as well this year. I'm going to be doing the VIR Full school in September - already getting pumped for it. :D

Scotty
01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
As long as I don't blow my car up at the NCC Summit event, I hope to make my first trip to VIR for the NASA full-course HPDE two weeks later! :icon_danc

tucker
01-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi, I just pre registered for the March school and I am looking for a nice place to stay while down there. I have never been to Summit before , can anyone recommend some nice places? Thanks Tucker

1996 328ti
01-13-2007, 10:40 PM
SCCA has a nice list.
http://www.wdcr-scca.org/road_racing/sleep.htm
Winchester may be a good bet.

lax01
01-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Just pre-registered up...you can rent helmets at the track right? If not, does anyone have an extra one?

1996 328ti
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Just pre-registered up...you can rent helmets at the track right? If not, does anyone have an extra one?
I sent you an email but for the benefit of others.
OG Racing rent helmets. I don't know if their track store rent helmets, but it would probably be closed that early in the morning anyway.
Call OG Racing in Dulles at 800-934-9112.

jkuper
01-18-2007, 09:30 PM
I sent you an email but for the benefit of others.
OG Racing rent helmets. I don't know if their track store rent helmets, but it would probably be closed that early in the morning anyway.
Call OG Racing in Dulles at 800-934-9112.

They do, but they don't have as many and fit/availability could become an issue. therefore, I would advise against trying to find a helmet the day off the event. What I would do is stop at OG the week prior and rent a helmet for the following weekend. You would only be paying for that weekend's rental anyway.

1996 328ti
01-19-2007, 08:49 AM
We have 87 people pre-registered.
We typically accept 60-65 people on the main track.
More if we can squeeze another run group without cutting track time too much.

I'm not going to remind people this year to mail in their registration confirmation email January 22, along with photo copies of the drivers' license and insurance card. Don't forget the check. Having everything in the envelope makes the life of the registrar just a little easier.
And don't mail it early! Early and late registrations go to the bottom of the pile.

We have also arranged for Famous Dave's BBQ Saturday evening.
All members are invited, just need to RSVP using the form on the website.

Real M3
01-19-2007, 09:52 AM
We have 87 people pre-registered.
We typically accept 60-65 people on the main track.
More if we can squeeze another run group without cutting track time too much.

I'm not going to remind people this year to mail in their registration confirmation email January 22, along with photo copies of the drivers' license and insurance card. Don't forget the check. Having everything in the envelope makes the life of the registrar just a little easier.
And don't mail it early! Early and late registrations go to the bottom of the pile.

We have also arranged for Famous Dave's BBQ Saturday evening.
All members are invited, just need to RSVP using the form on the website.

Wow, these just continue to grow in popularity! Starting to feel the need to get in line at the USPS at 12:01 AM on the 22nd!:biggrin:

I assume that the RSVP for Famous Dave's is for other than accepted students, correct Steven?

fpol
01-19-2007, 11:02 AM
My insurance card expires 2/28/07 and i haven't received my new card yet.

I hope this doesn't present a problem.

1996 328ti
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Wow, these just continue to grow in popularity! Starting to feel the need to get in line at the USPS at 12:01 AM on the 22nd!:biggrin:

I assume that the RSVP for Famous Dave's is for other than accepted students, correct Steven?
The main track is the most popular. Next year I'll probably make the mail-in registration period 1 week. Postmark dates are sorted by a random number that are assigned when you pre-register. Hate to see registration come down to who has the fastest bandwith. And anyone can come to the BBQ. I'll do a head count of people in the school. Anyone else just needs to fill the form so I have a better idea how many people to expect.

My insurance card expires 2/28/07 and i haven't received my new card yet.

I hope this doesn't present a problem.Just bring the new one with you to registration.

aznevoviii
01-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi, all.

I just finished my pre-registration,

I am just wondering, which track will this be held at!?

1996 328ti
01-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi, all.

I just finished my pre-registration,

I am just wondering, which track will this be held at!?
Main track. Or as some call, the Big Track.

profbooty
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
how do you find out if you are registered? Do we recieve a PM to reflect if we are registered (pre-registered and mailed in my forms on tuesday)?

I'd like to find out sooner than later so I can schedule another DE for that weekend if I am not accepted.

1996 328ti
01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
It won't be a couple weeks until emails go out.
Registration is still open until Feb 2.
If your envelope was postmarked Jan 22 or Jan 23 and you are a NCC member attending both days, I would say you would be accepted. By Jan 25 I think there where 55 envelopes to be opened.
If someone forget to include a check or the proper paperwork, they might as well forget it.

MSokalsky
02-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I've been a member of NCC for probably 10 years but never attended a driving school with your chapter. I've got over 120 track days of experience and instruct with several other clubs. I have registered for the March 17/18 event (hopefully crossing all my t's and dotting all my i's). Assuming I registered in the proper formula and I am selected, how do you choose run groups and are there any options for more experienced drivers. What is your procedure for soloing drivers new to your chapter?

1996 328ti
02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I've been a member of NCC for probably 10 years but never attended a driving school with your chapter. I've got over 120 track days of experience and instruct with several other clubs. I have registered for the March 17/18 event (hopefully crossing all my t's and dotting all my i's). Assuming I registered in the proper formula and I am selected, how do you choose run groups and are there any options for more experienced drivers. What is your procedure for soloing drivers new to your chapter?Assuming you mailed in your registration sometime between Jan 22 and Jan 25 and jumped through all the hoops, most likely you be accepted. I don't have list of registrations so no one ask me. Run groups are generally based on experience. Usually NCC experience but other experience I'm sure is taken into consideration. I'm not sure if we will have 3 or 4 run groups. Don't feel insulted if you are not in A group based on your experience. It is possible that a student will be moved from one group to another. It is the sole discretion of the chief instructor.

Solo?
You will find our schools very different than others. Students do not get solo'd because an instructor needs to pack up early or doesn't feel like going out with his student. If an instructor has nothing more to teach you will probably find another instructor in the right seat. Some instructors solo and some stick with you through your last session. It's their judgment call.

If you find you like how we do things and want to instruct in a future school, speak with Bill Shook. He will go other the requirements.

You can trade One Lap stories with Neil and Woody.

FT
02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
On a side note/dream: I have had a secret hope that the main circuit would be patched or repaved at least on few corners, especially T5... What in the world was I smoking??????? Nothing happened over the winter of course :mad:

Gray Ghost
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Steven, looking forward to seeing the final list of registered participants and run group assignments for this event. I've been running in the NASA HPDE 3 and Mazda Drivers Advanced Groups for the past couple years, and need to confirm whether or not I'm in the A group because my track car is a "single seat" setup. Thanks, Mike

1996 328ti
02-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Steven, looking forward to seeing the final list of registered participants and run group assignments for this event. I've been running in the NASA HPDE 3 and Mazda Drivers Advanced Groups for the past couple years, and need to confirm whether or not I'm in the A group because my track car is a "single seat" setup. Thanks, Mike
Well if you show up with a single seat you will be sent home.
Everyone rides with an instructor. Including A students.
If you are looking for seat time, NCC is not the place, sorry.

Priority goes to NCC members. More than 100 people registered.
Out of the 129 who pre-registered, only 15 are not NCC members.
Out of those 15, 6 are BMW CCA members outside of our chapter.

MSokalsky
02-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Won't be insulted by any group I'm put in. I'm looking for seat time at Summit and a 'ride along' with an instructor(s) for two days will certainly improve whatever I knowledge I have of Summit.

Gray Ghost
02-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Please return my payment (check) for this event.

1996 328ti
02-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Please return my payment (check) for this event.
You should contact our Registrar. Doug Verner at NCCDSRegistrar @<hidden> mac.com. He will discard your check.

sstarch1
02-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey,

Just wondering when we will know if we made the cut or not?

Thanks
Stepan.

dbonner
02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey,

Just wondering when we will know if we made the cut or not?

Thanks
Stepan.

Yeah, like SStarch1 asks, when will we know?? :confused:

BonBahn

1996 328ti
02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Like the FAQ says, you will be notified 3 weeks before the school.
If you are an NCC member and your envelope has a postmark between Jan 22 and 25, I would say there is a good chance you will be accepted. That is how it has been in the past. If someone forgot to send in a check, well. . . you may be SOL.

Once the registration period ends, there is a week or two for Doug to open envelopes, enter everything into our database. Then the info gets sent to our CI to make student/instructor assignments. Please keep in mind that Doug and Bill have fulltime jobs.

We do not accept students before knowing how many instructors are available. I hope most of you can appreciate that. Other clubs will sell out the school then scramble for instructors.

sstarch1
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks!

Just wondering how long i have to keep my checking account with a certain balance in case i get accepeted and then bounce a check....oh no!

No worries though, looking forward to it!

S,.

profbooty
02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks!

Just wondering how long i have to keep my checking account with a certain balance in case i get accepeted and then bounce a check....oh no!

No worries though, looking forward to it!

S,.

that is a very good point!

ChosenGSR
02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
that is a very good point!

This is another reason why I think we should implement an Internet based payment system. I hardly ever really use my checking account these days. It would be much easier to make sure I have the cash in my account at time of payment rather than keeping this in mind for a month or two.

1996 328ti
02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
This is another reason why I think we should implement an Internet based payment system. I hardly ever really use my checking account these days. It would be much easier to make sure I have the cash in my account at time of payment rather than keeping this in mind for a month or two.This goes against what you said in the poll thread, doesn't it?
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost.php?p=17050&postcount=20

ChosenGSR
02-15-2007, 06:26 PM
This goes against what you said in the poll thread, doesn't it?
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost.php?p=17050&postcount=20

Sorry I think you're misinterpreting what I meant Steven. My point was that if I have to send out a check, from that day on I have to make sure I have those $350 in my checking account. That is up until I get accepted and the money is withdrawn or I know I am not in and the check will be destroyed. This required me to carry a certain balance from registration day until acceptance day which is certainly a while. I know a lot of the guys here also do DEs through other clubs as well, so there are some that have many "pending" checks at one time. I just think it would be easier to make sure you have the $350 in the right account at the time you click the "send money" button vs. having it there for a month or two. This really isn't a big deal either way. I Think the younger generation (myself included) has lost the art of balancing checkbooks, simply because checks are the thing of the past :tongue:

I hope I am not sending the wrong message across, I don't mind either way. I just thought you wanted feedback so I am trying to participate.

1996 328ti
02-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Sorry I think you're misinterpreting what I meant Steven. My point was that if I have to send out a check, from that day on I have to make sure I have those $350 in my checking account.I have not balanced a checkbook in probably 15 years. All my transactions are downloaded to Quicken. As long as I don't see any pending red in the balance column, I continue to spend. I wouldn't make a very good financial planner. There are people that look at the daily balance and spend accordingly not taking in account an outstanding check.

Jenson Button
02-16-2007, 07:17 PM
This is another reason why I think we should implement an Internet based payment system.

I have never been the registrar, but this comment does seem to make sense. In my other hobbies, some events require registration and payment and the whole deal is done online. I would imagine that a properly setup system would be far easier for the registrar than dealing with snail mail and paper checks. Along with the benefits of avoiding bounced checks, students would also get far more rapid feedback about whether they have been admitted or not.

If all the literature was send via email, postage and printing costs could be avoided. Then we would have more money for SWAG or gifts for the glorious instructors!

Who is the current registrar now that Old Man Ketner was forced into retirement?

1996 328ti
02-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Online payments might speed things up for the registrar, but they won't speed up the notification who is accepted to the school. Time is needed between the time registration closes and registered names go to the CI. What would speed things up if the CI knew which instructors were committed to the school. If he knew there was say 30 instructors (not counting skid pad) it would be safe to assume that at least 60 students can be accepted. People would have an idea less than a week after registration closed.

Doug Verner is now the registrar.

FT
02-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Steven:

Frankly, I do not think they need to wait until they know all registrants and instructors. If you confirm first 30 instructors, then send notification to the first 60 students who would be assigned to them. Granted I do not know all the dynamics in making such arrangements, but I am sure ... if there is a will, there is a way :)

1996 328ti
02-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Steven:

Frankly, I do not think they need to wait until they know all registrants and instructors. If you confirm first 30 instructors, then send notification to the first 60 students who would be assigned to them. Granted I do not know all the dynamics in making such arrangements, but I am sure ... if there is a will, there is a way :)Isn't that what I said? If we knew we had 30 instructors plus skid pad, it would be safe to assume that the first 60 registered would be accepted. Notices could go out shortly after registration was closed. I think the way it works is that instructors list what schools they plan on instructing for the year all at once. This being the first school takes a bit more time to gather that information. Maybe an instructor could explain the procedure.

FT
02-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I understand Steven, as you very well know, we - the students - try the same in terms of planning. With just 3 weeks of notices, sometimes it puts us in a tough situation with other DEs and Autoxes. Not that we cannot live with the situation, but I think the time frames can be improved.

Btw, I do not think we say this enough: Steven thank you very much for being such a responsive NCC representative on this board, we do appreciate all your work tremendously. It is unfortunate that the downside of what you are accomplishing is that you take every CCA program's issues onto your shoulders. I am sorry, sometime we are certainly too hard on you.

1996 328ti
02-17-2007, 11:15 PM
I understand Steven, as you very well know, we - the students - try the same in terms of planning. With just 3 weeks of notices, sometimes it puts us in a tough situation with other DEs and Autoxes. Not that we cannot live with the situation, but I think the time frames can be improved.I'll make it simple. If you sent in everything you where supposed to within the first 3 days of registration, you are going to be accepted. I can almost guarantee it.

When Doug opens the envelopes, everyone is put on the wait list.
Then people are eventually moved from wait to accepted.
The list is then sorted, priority and postmark.
If it helps he can publish in order everyone's usernames next time. But this won't happen until a week or two after registration closes. it all depends on his schedule. Maybe that will help those anxious about the school.

There are several pieces to the puzzle.
That's all I am going to say about the registration process.
The next time the Driving School Committee meets, anyone can request a few minutes to speak.

FT
02-17-2007, 11:56 PM
You know me, I speak out loud too often. I did that before, I no longer care that much; I am sorry.

woodym3
02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Speaking as an old fart and a former banker, I can't imagine not keeping a checkbook register and balancing it on a monthly basis. And I did join the 20th Century a year or so ago and start paying my regular bills online. When paying by check I have found that car clubs, including the NCC, are the worst when it comes to holding checks for a long time before processing. If we only knew it was consistent, we could rely on this "float".

Speaking as an instructor, we receive a mailing from the Chief Instructor once our schedule is known. This is typically in January. We are asked to indicate, by return mail, which of the events we know we will be able to attend and which we might attend. Apparently a large number of our instructors will delay returning their commitments until they know what other events, vacations, work, etc will be happening throughout the year. NCC instructors could do this in the past knowing that size of our instructor corps would allow them to sign up at the last minute. The chief instructor also has to contact the "maybes" throughout the year to get commitments for an upcoming event. Hopefully the recent increases in the ranks of our instructor corps will overcome this problem. Also note that we are not the only chapter or organization to have this problem with last-minute commitment from instructors.

CAB IN BLACK M3
02-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Steven,

I need to cancel both for Saturday and Sunday School. Business is not going to allow me to do everything that I was hoping to this year. Please tell me what I need to do to have you send back my check. Thanks in advance for your time.

Bobbie Boykin

1996 328ti
02-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Steven,

I need to cancel both for Saturday and Sunday School. Business is not going to allow me to do everything that I was hoping to this year. Please tell me what I need to do to have you send back my check. Thanks in advance for your time.

Bobbie Boykin
Email Doug Verner at NCCDSRegistrar @<hidden> mac.com

Timothy Sullivan
02-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Will you notify us through the message board when confirmations are sent out? I did send my registration in on first date of registration but check has not been cashed yet and no notification.

1996 328ti
02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Will you notify us through the message board when confirmations are sent out? I did send my registration in on first date of registration but check has not been cashed yet and no notification.
People should be getting email notifications later in the day.

Timothy Sullivan
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks,

These courses are awesome. However I am holding my breath everytime I register because I do not trust USPS to deliver my registration. And I do not like bothering anyone about it since I appreciate the time everyone donates to do these courses.

Real M3
02-27-2007, 08:05 AM
People should be getting email notifications later in the day.

Heh, yea, late in the day. Doug was obviously burning the midnight oil to get the notifications out. My acceptance email was postmarked 11:45 PM.

We need to thank these "VOLUNTEERS" for their time and dedication to make these events run so smoothly.

1996 328ti
02-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Heh, yea, late in the day. Doug was obviously burning the midnight oil to get the notifications out. My acceptance email was postmarked 11:45 PM.It's not unusual for both of us to be passing files back and forth well into the night. 11:45, hell, that's early for Doug.
There may have been a delay on this one because some documents needed to be updated and uploaded to the website.

It looks like 60 have been accepted and I would expect to add a few more within the week. 60 is typically a full school for us. 20/group.
I think anyone who had a postmark within the first 3 days and were NCC members and driving both days were accepted.

Timothy Sullivan
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Are you saying that some folks may not have gotten notified yet?

Timothy Sullivan
02-27-2007, 03:47 PM
To clarify the previous question. Have some of the first 60 people accepted not been notified yet?

1996 328ti
02-27-2007, 07:52 PM
To clarify the previous question. Have some of the first 60 people accepted not been notified yet?
I believe all of the first 60 people have been notified.
Next Doug will email the waitlists students.
It looks like you are number 61. :)
I would expect you to be accepted. We are waiting to hear back from more instructors.

profbooty
02-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I think anyone who had a postmark within the first 3 days and were NCC members and driving both days were accepted.

I guess I didnt get accepted then, I should have been postmarked within the first three days and NCC members. no email, but the check hasn't been withdrawn from my account yet either.

I hope I find out soon as there are other events that weekend.

Timothy Sullivan
02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Steven,

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope we can get that additional instructor. I have certainly been looking forward to the school.:biggrin:

1996 328ti
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I guess I didnt get accepted then, I should have been postmarked within the first three days and NCC members. no email, but the check hasn't been withdrawn from my account yet either.

I hope I find out soon as there are other events that weekend.
It looks like you are number 75 on the list.
Email Doug to find out where you stand.
Checks aren't cashed until after the school.

profbooty
02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
It looks like you are number 75 on the list.
Email Doug to find out where you stand.
Checks aren't cashed until after the school.

Thanks for the update, I appreciate you looking into it.
I will email Doug.

Thats the last time I drop a piece of mail in the mailbox and assume it was postmarked that day.

Oh well at number 75 I sould probably just drop out and hope I can get in some rallyx instruction instead before that totally fills up. Makes me regret not signing up for VIR with NASA the following week.

I wonder what the website mechanics are to set up something like mazdadrivers/nasa etc, is online payment the roadblock?

Sigfod
02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey what number am I? I sent my registration in on the very first day. :frown:

1996 328ti
02-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey what number am I? I sent my registration in on the very first day. :frown: I knew I shouldn't have said anything publicly. :mad:
Unofficially you are 66.

1996 328ti
02-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I wonder what the website mechanics are to set up something like mazdadrivers/nasa etc, is online payment the roadblock?It's all in place to test it out. Last year was to get us to this point. Next phase I will test a few online payments during the next school for those who sign up for Sunday only since Saturday is Highway Safety School.

Sigfod
02-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I knew I shouldn't have said anything publicly. :mad:
Unofficially you are 66.
Thanks so much I really do appreciate it. Oh and on a side note the Sentra is finally ready!:eek:

Timothy Sullivan
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
I got an email from Doug Verner explaining that more than 60 entrants were postmarked on the first day of the registration. He stated that they were computer randomized and asssigned numbers and that 1 thru 60 were then confirmed for the course. Basically a lottery for those of us counting down the days for these courses.

This is a reflection of how good the instruction is for this course. Generating a demand greater than the supply.

This appears to be a trend amongst all the Driver Ed courses offered both clubs and private. They fill rapidly. The early lucky :eek: bird gets the worm.

Thought I should share the process. I was surprised to here that more that 60 people had postmarks on the first day.:eek:

He also said that they are working to add more instructors to help fill the demand. So maybe a few more worms out there. :)

1996 328ti
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I got an email from Doug Verner explaining that more than 60 entrants were postmarked on the first day of the registration. He stated that they were computer randomized and asssigned numbers and that 1 thru 60 were then confirmed for the course. Basically a lottery for those of us counting down the days for these courses.

This is a reflection of how good the instruction is for this course. Generating a demand greater than the supply.

This appears to be a trend amongst all the Driver Ed courses offered both clubs and private. They fill rapidly. The early lucky :eek: bird gets the worm.

Thought I should share the process. I was surprised to here that more that 60 people had postmarks on the first day.:eek:

He also said that they are working to add more instructors to help fill the demand. So maybe a few more worms out there. :)The main track fills faster than the others. Plus the fact it is the first school of the year for us.

I can't think of any other way but to sort by a computer generated random number and postmark to make it fair for everyone. That random number changes with each school so if someone has a high number they are not stuck with it all year.

If we were to go strictly online registration, I probably would still make it a random number rather than having people sit at their computer at midnight.

Sigfod
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
The main track fills faster than the others. Plus the fact it is the first school of the year for us.

I can't think of any other way but to sort by a computer generated random number and postmark to make it fair for everyone. That random number changes with each school so if someone has a high number they are not stuck with it all year.

If we were to go strictly online registration, I probably would still make it a random number rather than having people sit at their computer at midnight.
Been there done that. The real tough one to get into will be Shenandoah Circuit!

Timothy Sullivan
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
The main track fills faster than the others. Plus the fact it is the first school of the year for us.

I was hoping a first come first serve basis would apply for online registration.

I do understand the waiting at your computer to midnight scenario. However if you want it that bad you deserve to be in. In addition you could anticipate the likelihood of being accepted and make plans accordingly. If you were #30 you feel pretty good vs #55 maybe not enough instructors. Number #100 make plans with your wife and kids to hang with everyone and eat ribs.

I am sure you have thought about this. I am just glad I do not have to make the decision.

1996 328ti
02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I was hoping a first come first serve basis would apply for online registration.I don't want to exclude those who want to pay by check.

jkuper
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
who is staying where and wants to split a room?

1996 328ti
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Irrelevant posts removed!

1996 328ti
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Dress warm this weekend.
The forecast for the Saturday evening BBQ will be in the low 30s.
We'll be using the classroom for those not brave enough to stay outside.
At least the beer will be cold.

Timothy Sullivan
03-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Are they going to do ride alongs with the instructors for people not in the course? I have a friend who may be stopping by and some of the other courses I have attended have a release form that would allow a non-participant to ride with an instructor on the track during the instructor sessions.

1996 328ti
03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Are they going to do ride alongs with the instructors for people not in the course? I have a friend who may be stopping by and some of the other courses I have attended have a release form that would allow a non-participant to ride with an instructor on the track during the instructor sessions.You just need to arrange it with an instructor prior and have a helmet. Often instructors will take their students first, but it never hurts to ask. Everyone needs to sign the waiver regardless if you are on track or eating a spare rib.

Timothy Sullivan
03-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Steven. I am trying to get on of my buddies more involved. I think a ride with one of the instructors will get him hooked.

ChosenGSR
03-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Dress warm this weekend.
The forecast for the Saturday evening BBQ will be in the low 30s.
We'll be using the classroom for those not brave enough to stay outside.
At least the beer will be cold.

What a bummer, here we are sitting at 70 degrees for two days and it's back to low 40s over the weekend :(

Sigfod
03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
What a bummer, here we are sitting at 70 degrees for two days and it's back to low 40s over the weekend :( Well the weather has it's pluses it will be easier on engines, tyres, and brakes. I am kinda glad I missed this track day, as the car still isn't done ! :eek:

orijinal_poser
03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Well the weather has it's pluses it will be easier on engines, tyres, and brakes. I am kinda glad I missed this track day, as the car still isn't done ! :eek:
same here. :(

1st it was a new steering rack, RTABs, spark plugs and a few other small things. Then on Monday, my starter took a crap on me. Yay!

Sigfod
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
same here. :(

1st it was a new steering rack, RTABs, spark plugs and a few other small things. Then on Monday, my starter took a crap on me. Yay!
Driver's side axle blew up on mine. Waiting for a new one to come in the mail. Can't wait to come up though. I will be there at least one day, and possibly the Sentra too! First I need to find some ear plugs! :rolleyes: Look forward to seeing you guys.

OwnedbyDuncan
03-15-2007, 09:38 AM
You might want to bring winter tires for Saturday according to the latest weather forecast. Saturday morning should be very interesting since they are predicting snow Friday night.

Dave Apker

fpol
03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I was actually going up Friday evening so that I could sleep a little later after watching Qualifying (F1) Friday night. Now I wonder if that might be a bad Idea. Might be trapped at the hotel in the morning.

Best laid plans...

ChosenGSR
03-15-2007, 11:19 AM
:icon_yike

Sigfod
03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
You might want to bring winter tires for Saturday according to the latest weather forecast. Saturday morning should be very interesting since they are predicting snow Friday night.

Dave Apker

The main course would be interesting on snows! :biggrin: All is well I would just bring my snow car the GTI. Yes the GTI that hit the Porsche last year.

1996 328ti
03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-weekends.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=25446&metric=0

jkuper
03-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Frozen skidpad? :)

OwnedbyDuncan
03-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Getting over Mount Weather on Saturday morning might be interesting and then getting from Rt340 or Rt 7 to the track. They usually are pretty good about taking care of Rt 7 after a snow storm

I think you have a better chance of getting to the track from a motel in the area Saturday morning then heading out there from inside the beltway.

I suggest watching the weather. Who knows how much snow Berryville, Winchester and Summit Point will get. Running up there on you track tires might not be the best move.

Might stop by on Sunday after our herding lesson in Berryville to say hi.

Dave Apker and the collies

OwnedbyDuncan
03-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Frozen skidpad? :)

The chief instructor will probably bring his studded snow tires up. Maybe the track will be clear by lunch time?

Dave Apker

ChosenGSR
03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
It's not looking so good at this point weather wise :( Looks like the bad weather is spilling into Saturday as well/

OwnedbyDuncan
03-15-2007, 05:57 PM
The board does have a contingency plan in place in case the weather is really bad etc. Like board members at the school may have to work a corner if the paid workers dont show up and what to do if Saturday is cancelled because of weather? Or instructors cant get there etc?

Or the track is wet to drying but the run off areas are snow covered?

The first time we ran the Jefferson Circuit back many years ago it snowed Saturday night. Snow fall amounts were not expected and many people were stranded in the outer burbs. Track was a little wet in the morning if I remember correctly. Driving back up I81 to my motel room from dinner on track tires was an adventure.

Dave Apker

1996 328ti
03-15-2007, 06:28 PM
It's not looking so good at this point weather wise :( Looks like the bad weather is spilling into Saturday as well/I'm sticking with accuweather. I think we'll be OK. I've driven in colder weather.
Besides, Famous Dave's will be there for dinner and I'm picking up refreshments.

ChosenGSR
03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm sticking with accuweather. I think we'll be OK. I've driven in colder weather.
Besides, Famous Dave's will be there for dinner and I'm picking up refreshments.

Can we "upgrade" the beer to vodka? It'll keep us warmer fo-sho :icon_drun

1996 328ti
03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Can we "upgrade" the beer to vodka? It'll keep us warmer fo-sho :icon_drun
What happens at Summit Point, stays at Summit Point.

OwnedbyDuncan
03-16-2007, 03:57 AM
What happens at Summit Point, stays at Summit Point.

Unless someone has the incar video going. 4-6in of snow North and west of the city according to WTOP. Going down Mount Weather could be fun. Accuweather says snow starting t 8am this morning mixed with freezing rain ending at 2am.

But this could all change. Northeasters are diffcult to predict. You could get a foot of snow. Or just rain.

Problem is it isnt supposed to get above freezing until about noon on Saturday.

Dave Apker

dbonner
03-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Getting over Mount Weather on Saturday morning might be interesting and then getting from Rt340 or Rt 7 to the track. They usually are pretty good about taking care of Rt 7 after a snow storm

Agree with Owned By Duncan. Rt 340 could be trickier than Rte 7, especially the tight 1 lane, steep stretch of mountain road near Harpers Ferry. Rte 7 is 2 lane all the way and doesn't go through that mountainous, forested section that Rte 340 does. :wink: BonBahn

P.S. And I like The Weather Channel forecast (clear but rather chilly on Saturday)...like Steven's Accuweather.

fpol
03-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I think I'll have to just go up from Arlington tomorrow. "Wintry mix" is the call for Inwood this afternoon, and i don't want to get out there to find that it's really 3" of snow. Not alot, but Kumho MXs, cold surface, and snow are a bad mix.

I just hope the access roads to Summit aren't too bad. Those aren't the best roads to be on with the wrong rubber.

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 07:43 AM
The National Weather Service In Sterling Virginia Has Issued A
Winter Storm Warning...which Is In Effect Until 2 Am Edt
Saturday. The Winter Storm Watch Is No Longer In Effect.

Low Pressure Over Western North Carolina Will Move Off The Coast
Tonight. This Will Bring Cold Moist Air Into The Region.

Rain Will Change To Snow And Sleet This Morning..and Change To All
Snow By Evening. 3 To 6 Inches Of Accumulation Are Expected Before The
Snow Ends Around Midnight.

A Winter Storm Warning Means Significant Amounts Of Snow...
Sleet...and Ice Are Expected Or Occurring. Strong Winds Are Also
Possible. This Will Make Travel Very Hazardous Or Impossible.

MSokalsky
03-16-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm driving from S. Jersey and leaving about 11 AM today, slowwwww and steadyyyyy.

So don't cancel on me.

Hope the drive through this stuff is worth it. But any track time is good track time.

ChosenGSR
03-16-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm driving from S. Jersey and leaving about 11 AM today, slowwwww and steadyyyyy.

So don't cancel on me.

Hope the drive through this stuff is worth it. But any track time is good track time.

I am at work until 5, so I won't even be leaving from Baltimore until 5-6 depending wether I want to stop by the house and put on the winter tire set.

OwnedbyDuncan
03-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Remember what happened just a little over 14 years ago actually 14 years and a few days. Storm of the century and areas out by Summit Point got over a foot of snow. Nothing worse than working the highway Safety School with snow and ice in the tubs etc. And it was cold that weekend
too. Dont think temps got out of the low 30's

Also with all the rain the roads to Summit Point may flood and then freeze.
And the water crossing/bridge from the motels off I81 via the back roads could be fun.

Someone should bring the chief instructor a bottle of single malt he is going to need it.

Hope the fields arent too muddy or icy my two collies need the work on Sunday for the Collie Club Nationals next weekend in NC. And if you see my collie girl on leash on Sunday dont let her give you a lick since probably spent the morning eating sheep poop for stress relief.

Run off areas this weekend should be wonderful. A $50 donation to charity for a tow out might be in order.

Dave Apker and the collies

magnetic1
03-16-2007, 12:12 PM
It'll be nice and cool this weekend, but Im having Jason Kuper bring some track pads with him in case you guys need it.

See him if you need track pads. I only gave him a select few apps...

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Remember what happened just a little over 14 years ago actually 14 years and a few days.I'd like to keep this thread related to this school, not something that happened 14 years ago.

It'll be nice and cool this weekend, but Im having Jason Kuper bring some track pads with him in case you guys need it.

See him if you need track pads. I only gave him a select few apps...How about tire warmers?

ChosenGSR
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
So what happens if there is some snow on the track? Do we sit around and wait for it to melt or ... ?

Hope this is not a silly question, but I am sure I'm not the only one wondering this.

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 12:42 PM
So what happens if there is some snow on the track? Do we sit around and wait for it to melt or ... ?

Hope this is not a silly question, but I am sure I'm not the only one wondering this.
Then I'll call Famous Dave's and see if they can deliver the food early. :biggrin:
Let's hope for the best.

Edit: I'll be heading to the track at 6:00 AM.

Edit again: Latest weather
Friday Night, Mar 16
Low: 24 &#176;F RealFeel&#174;: 15 &#176;F
Evening snow with little or no accumulation; otherwise, cloudy, breezy and quite cold

Timothy Sullivan
03-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Comments of the weather I live 10 miles west of Frederick MD and we have 3 inches of snow on the roads. I think there is a big difference in the conditions from DC to out west. 70 west is wet slushy snow west of Frederick. Be careful.

OwnedbyDuncan
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
It is snowing and sleeting in Clifton now. It is just snow at Rt 234 and I 66.

Dave Apker

ChosenGSR
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh man, it's going to be fun getting to Winchester tonight...

ChosenGSR
03-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok I (and another chapter member) decided to skip on heading out there tonight and wait until tomorrow morning. We called the hotel and they are at about 4 inches and counting.

Steven, is there a chance you'll keep us updated tomorrow morning before you're heading out on the status of things? We're planning on heading out in the morning, maybe they would have plowed some by then.

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Steven, is there a chance you'll keep us updated tomorrow morning before you're heading out on the status of things? We're planning on heading out in the morning, maybe they would have plowed some by then.Of course. If I hear anything while I'm on the way I'll turn around and post something.

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 04:13 PM
School is ON.
If the conditions are safe, we will drive. If they are unsafe, we will not drive. We will just deal with the situation and we will not sacrifice safety.
Check the NCC website before you leave.

jkuper
03-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Just got to the hotel, the roads are not bad, pretty clear. Judging by amount of snow on cars on the parking lot, they did get 3-4". Could be worse going to the track tomorrow morning :donno

jkuper
03-16-2007, 04:26 PM

See him if you need track pads. I only gave him a select few apps...

Yellow M3, should be somewhere near RRT's trailer.

MSokalsky
03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Well after 4 cars off the road in a 5 mile stretch, traffic at a standstill on I 70, I checked into the Holiday Inn in Fredrick at 5:00. Not worth the traffic, snowfall, low visibilty and certainly didn't need for bragging right to having made it to Winchester tonight in this weather, especially towing a trailer.

See you tomorrow and hope the track conditions will be worth the effort to get there.

ChosenGSR
03-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I am more worried at this point about the roads that lead to the track than the highways, rt 7 is it? If they are not plowed I have no idea how I can get through them with Kumho MXs.

Also, do you guys suggest leaving early (6ish) or a little later so we can get some sort of word about conditions leading to and on the track. I am assuming since there are at least 4 inches on the track itself at this point there is no way anyone going to be racing on that at 9am? I hope these questions are not redundant/annoying but I am communicating with a few others that are going and they are as clueless as I am on what is the best/safest course of action.

Edit: there are 5 inches at this point in Winchester.

dbonner
03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
School is ON.
If the conditions are safe, we will drive. If they are unsafe, we will not drive. We will just deal with the situation and we will not sacrifice safety.
Check the NCC website before you leave.

Sounds simple enough. And there's bar-b-q! :biggrin:

Scotty
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
OMG. Snowing like hell in Gaithersburg at 7:43 PM. With the temps dropping thru the nite, I can't see how there will not be snow and ice on the track tomorrow. I wonder... what does BSR do in a situation like this? They don't salt the track do they? :tongue:

This will be an adventure, for sure. Is there a run group for cars with tire chains? :biggrin:

Jenson Button
03-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I would LOVE to drive my pick-em-up on a snowy track. Even if BMWs can't run, a snowy track would be a great place to practice car control in a 97 Tacoma ;o)

fpol
03-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I am more worried at this point about the roads that lead to the track than the highways, rt 7 is it? If they are not plowed I have no idea how I can get through them with Kumho MXs.

Exactly my condition - and worries about weather in winchester is why I canceled the drive out today. I didn't want to get out to 7 on the MXs and find heavy snow!

Edit: there are 5 inches at this point in Winchester.

Wow, might be sitting on Berryville waiting for access roads to clear... Who'd think the only time I'd be wishing I had snows would be heading to a DE!

jdunger
03-16-2007, 06:59 PM
It's still snowing and 28F here in Hamilton, VA (about 9 miles west of Leesburg). We have about 3"-4" of snow on the ground, but the road, Business Rt. 7, in front of the house is just wet and slushy. I think they have be treating it with chemicals.

Bring lots of warm clothes tomorrow - it's going to be chilly!

VA 330Ci
03-16-2007, 07:15 PM
What is policy on late arrivals for tommorrow? Assuming that the DE is not cancelled, there will most likely be alot of late arrivals trickeling in (including myself possibly). There is sleet coming down now in Northern VA and it is sticking. I will do my best, but the 3er is not a snow vehicle (especially in track mode).

Steve

dinomite
03-16-2007, 08:05 PM
What is policy on late arrivals for tommorrow? Assuming that the DE is not cancelled, there will most likely be alot of late arrivals trickeling in (including myself possibly). There is sleet coming down now in Northern VA and it is sticking. I will do my best, but the 3er is not a snow vehicle (especially in track mode).

Steve

Same thoughts here; is arriving late OK for tomorrow?

-Drew

Torquewrench
03-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Understand the school is still on as of now, just wondering if the policy on forfeiting the entry fee stands if I can't/don't make it. Credit for a future school works too. If this hasn't been decided yet, do you have a timetable on when it will be decided.

Was it really 70F on Wednesday :confused:

Thanks,

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Folks,
Do what you are comfortable with.
If you are late, you are late.
No one should feel pressured in coming.
Sunday is expected to be nicer.
If you intend to cancel, please email Doug at NCCDSRegistrar @<hidden> mac.com.

I still expect there to be a dinner.

1996 328ti
03-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Since there seems to be a lot of people up.
http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/chat/flashchat.php

1996 328ti
03-17-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm heading to the track now.
Drive carefully.
You get there when you get there.
If you can't make it leave me a message at 240-499-4200 and I'll get it to Bill and Doug.

Timothy Sullivan
03-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Anybody heard from someone who is at the track? I am not going to attempt to get out of my neighborhood till the sun is up.

woodym3
03-17-2007, 08:04 AM
The track was plowed, but due to black ice on the track, only skidpad and classroom sessions are being conducted this morning.

Scotty
03-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Despite the skating rink on Summit Point Pike coming out of Charles Town and the "why are we doing this" feeling that I had when I got to the track, it turned out to be a decent day! I managed to get skidpad and track sessions in before lunch. Then, pretty much full speed ahead in the afternoon. Had to dodge a few puddles and avoid the slag kicked up by the "wheel dippers", but other than that I had a fine time.

Oh, it helps to have a friend with an enclosed trailer and a propane heater.

Looking forward to an even better day tomorrow! :icon_joy:

1996 328ti
03-18-2007, 07:35 PM
One school down, 3 to go.

dbonner
03-19-2007, 09:35 AM
One school down, 3 to go.

An impressive job by the DSSC, Bill Shook, Steve Schlossman, and the entire NCC instructor corps, who along with the students, rolled with Mother Nature's punches, including snow and ice on the track on Friday through mid-morning Saturday, and still put on an instructive and fun school at Summit Main this past weekend. The skidpad exercises were certainly put to good use on the track (the "big skidpad"), including ice, water, and a Sunday afternoon coolant spill. :rolleyes:

BonBahn

jkuper
03-19-2007, 09:37 AM
+1

fpol
03-19-2007, 09:42 AM
++1

1996 328ti
03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Ended up being an OK weekend.
Pretty amazing we pull these schools with so few support volunteers.
HINT. HINT.
I'm disappointed that the people who bailed on Saturday didn't come Sunday.

I think I'm going start adding usernames under driver names for the cars.

dbonner
03-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Good idea. Will the real Jenson Button, please stand up? :wink:

1996 328ti
03-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Good idea. Will the real Jenson Button, please stand up? :wink:It might be harder to do for instructors, but I can probably figure a way. :)

ChosenGSR
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Best idea EVER :icon_joy:

I was really impressed by how well Saturday was "salvaged" so to speak. Thank you to everyone involved. And major thanks to Steven for keeping us updated as much as he could prior to the event.

Is it really bad that I drove to work with all that mud still on my car? I went to two car washes once I got back to Baltimore and they all had insane lines
:icon_cens

I need to figure out how to transfer/compress video from my MiniDV camcorder. Naturally I captured the splash that covered my car completely in mud as well as few other neat *caught someone going off-roading cough* moments :)

Jenson Button
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Good idea. Will the real Jenson Button, please stand up? :wink:

I was given this nickname by a prior Chief Instructor who also handed out the name Jeff Gordon to another instructor. Only Walt can explain the logic. Of all the things I have been called, this seemed like the only name acceptable on a family forum.

As for this school, I was proud to be a member of the NCC this weekend. I am amazed at the number of people who attended and that there were no impacts with damage given the changing conditions on the track. I doubt that many other chapters have such a dedicated membership. The antifreeze in turn 1 was a bit of a shocker at 100mph+, but I guess the challenges through the weekend had everyone on their toes so nobody when smack.

Steve, what kind of crazy weather have you scheduled for the next school?

odortiz
03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
there was one off with bent metal in a-group. another off ended with light scuffs from a tirewall. despite that, i am amazed of two things: i didn't go off and get stuck, and there weren't more off-roaders in the constantly changing conditions.

I was given this nickname by a prior Chief Instructor who also handed out the name Jeff Gordon to another instructor. Only Walt can explain the logic. Of all the things I have been called, this seemed like the only name acceptable on a family forum.

As for this school, I was proud to be a member of the NCC this weekend. I am amazed at the number of people who attended and that there were no impacts with damage given the changing conditions on the track. I doubt that many other chapters have such a dedicated membership. The antifreeze in turn 1 was a bit of a shocker at 100mph+, but I guess the challenges through the weekend had everyone on their toes so nobody when smack.

Steve, what kind of crazy weather have you scheduled for the next school?

Jenson Button
03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
there was one off with bent metal in a-group. another off ended with light scuffs from a tirewall. despite that, i am amazed of two things: i didn't go off and get stuck, and there weren't more off-roaders in the constantly changing conditions.

I was heading over there to see the extent of the damage when Paul Blinken offered to let me drive his E30 M3. Of course that offer was accepted ;o) I never saw how bad the damage was on the E46. I hope it was limited to bolt on parts.

I would have preferred to see more people take an inside line through turn 2 to avoid most of the water. The normal line was too slick to get power down confidently IMHO. I witnessed several people testing their car control skills in turn 2.

ChosenGSR
03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I would have preferred to see more people take an inside line through turn 2 to avoid most of the water. The normal line was too slick to get power down confidently IMHO. I witnessed several people testing their car control skills in turn 2.

I took the inside line on the last 2 sessions, it definitely helped.

woodym3
03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
The skidpad exercises were certainly put to good use on the track (the "big skidpad"), including ice, water, and a Sunday afternoon coolant spill. :rolleyes:

BonBahn

I wonder if the president of our chapter knows there was a coolant spill.

glindsay
03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
All in all and all things considered, a very sucessfull event. This photo was taken about 10 am Saturday, after the morning meeting and before the 11:00 am track session.

glindsay
03-19-2007, 06:45 PM

...and worse yet it was E36 coolant; the sliperiest of them all.

Jenson Button
03-19-2007, 06:51 PM

I certainly knew before the corner workers did. I had the 2nd largest catch of my career on the slick. My left wheels were lubed while the right wheels were dry as I was braking in a straight line approaching turn 1. The feeling was like being hit by a truck in the passenger side rear wheel. After catching the massive snap rotation, I had to worry about collecting a rather nice gold/brown E46 M3 ahead of me. I got the car slowed down in time, but it took longer to slow my heart rate.

1996 328ti
03-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I need to figure out how to transfer/compress video from my MiniDV camcorder. Naturally I captured the splash that covered my car completely in mud as well as few other neat *caught someone going off-roading cough* moments :)Bob Briggs is looking for videos.

Steve, what kind of crazy weather have you scheduled for the next school?Rain and wind for HSS, clear for the driving school.
Then again, I don't know if I will even be here for it.

gnhovis
03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I need to figure out how to transfer/compress video from my MiniDV camcorder. Naturally I captured the splash that covered my car completely in mud as well as few other neat *caught someone going off-roading cough* moments :)

Here's what I do with my DV tapes, might work for you:

Option 1: if you have a DVD burner, copy DV tape to DVD
Download free Video LAN (http://www.videolan.org/) software.
Use the wizard to capture the stream and save as mpeg4 file.
Use Apple's Quicktime to convert to QT movie file (.mov)
Upload to YouTube.
Embarrass self and others.

Option 2: if you don't have DVD burner, use free Windows Movie Maker (or iMovie) to get movie from your camcorder. (Actually, you might want to try this first if all you want is low-res web files.)
Save as Windows Media Video (or Quicktime movie)
Upload to YouTube, etc.

Hope that helps.

PS: Anyone in B group. Let me know what car you were driving, as I probably have video of you passing me at some point. I can send you a clip.

Roy
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I sincerely apologize to all DS participants who lost track time, and to all instructors and their passengers who were put at risk, as a result of my coolant spill Sunday afternoon.

I thought I had done everything to make the car spill-proof: Fluidyne radiator, aluminum water pump housing, new head bolts, and replacing every single hose on the car with new ones. No expense was spared. One of the new small hoses to the air box, though, was defective and blew out in a weak spot. This hose was manufactured by "VAICO Autoparts Germany". Lesson learned: only BMW-brand hoses from now on.

Thanks to Tom Baruch for fixing the car so I could get it home, and to Mark Padovan for loaning me some coolant.

I am especially grateful that no cars were wrecked on my coolant.

-Roy Morris

ChosenGSR
03-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Here's what I do with my DV tapes, might work for you:

Thanks! I'll keep all of this in mind. I just read that I need a ilink (firewire 4 to 6) cable to do the streaming properly so I ordered one. I do have a DVD burner so I would like to make a DVD as well. Do I use quicktime to compress from the DVD (mpeg4) file or do I have to stream again directly to quicktime to make a (.mov)?

OwnedbyDuncan
03-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Might be time to consider mandating only water and maybe water wetter in the cooling systems for drivers schools.

Weather for May School Tornadoes and Hail. Oops were not in WV anymore?

Dave Apker

Jenson Button
03-20-2007, 09:34 AM
I sincerely apologize to all DS participants who lost track time, and to all instructors and their passengers who were put at risk, as a result of my coolant spill Sunday afternoon.
I am especially grateful that no cars were wrecked on my coolant.

Since no damage resulted from the slick, we can consider the benefits. I had a student in the car that had expressed the desire to work on compressing his braking. I suggested saving that goal for later in his development. I think the episode reinforced my comments about leaving some room for error while braking. Since it all worked out with no harm or new snow tracks, the situation was a highlight of the event for me!

gnhovis
03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Do I use quicktime to compress from the DVD (mpeg4) file or do I have to stream again directly to quicktime to make a (.mov)?

Once you have the mpeg4 file (.m4v) you can view it in Apple's iTunes. You don't have to stream it again to convert to QT movie format (.mov), but I don't think you can do it with the free version of QT, you have to pay for the pro version. Hope that helps.

jkuper
03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Might be time to consider mandating only water and maybe water wetter in the cooling systems for drivers schools.

Weather for May School Tornadoes and Hail. Oops were not in WV anymore?

Dave Apker

Brilliant idea considering the temps last weekend :wink:

OwnedbyDuncan
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Brilliant idea considering the temps last weekend :wink:

Will then how's about air cooled BMW cars only! 700's rule!
And it really did get cold enough for water and water wetter to be a problem. The wind made it seem colder. I was out in Berryville Sunday
for a herding lesson at 815am. Wasn't that bad and the footing was pretty decent considering all the snow on the ground. Worked my dogs for about an hour.

Dave Apker

jkuper
03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Did you happen to check the temps at say, 3 am?

OwnedbyDuncan
03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes I did because I wanted to know how to dress. I was up and walking and feeding Duncan and Kate by 5am and was out the door by 630am and in Berryville by 815am. It was a balmy 23 degrees then.

Dave Apker