PDA

View Full Version : Shift Knob adhesive?

Zchild
11-21-2006, 12:16 PM
:icon_wave Hello there NCC gearheads and bimmer dreamers, I've got a boggle that I know your guys can help me with... My OEM manual leather gear shift knob started wearing out, therefore I ordered a replacement, I went with the Carbon Fiber set up for both my knob and e-brake handle. Any-who, I was wondering what type of glue or adhesive I should use to secure the new knob in place. I pulled the old one off and replaced it with the new one, however the new one doesn't want to stay in place especially when moving into reverse. Thanks in advance for all of your sage and timely responses. Happy Motoring...
:icon_danc

1996 328ti
11-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I take it this wasn't an OE knob. If it isan OE knob, maybe you just need to give it another whack.
I wouldn't use glue because you will be hating life if you need to remove it at a later date. There is no set screw?

John in VA
11-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Steven is correct - the knob should press on and click/stick without any add'l adhesives. They are usually a bear to get off the shifter handle w/out breaking you nose or glasses! Take a close look into the knob and see if everything looks to be in place.

Zchild
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I take it this wasn't an OE knob. If it isan OE knob, maybe you just need to give it another whack.
I wouldn't use glue because you will be hating life if you need to remove it at a later date. There is no set screw?

Steven is correct - the knob should press on and click/stick without any add'l adhesives. They are usually a bear to get off the shifter handle w/out breaking you nose or glasses! Take a close look into the knob and see if everything looks to be in place.
:icon_wave Thanks fella's I pulled it off and re-aligned it and gave it a couple of whacks. The new shift knob is now solidly in place without all of the wiggle and slide when I grip and shift. Exceptional help from my club mafia. Happy Motoring...
:icon_danc