PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Drive Shaft Guide Bushing?

Scotty
10-08-2006, 07:55 PM
After dropping the drive shaft to replace a blown guibo, I noticed that the guide bushing in the end of the drive shaft is shot. I've ordered a replacement, but I'm wondering how to remove the broken one.

The bearing is pressed in. Bentley says to pack the end of the shaft with heavy grease, insert a 14mm mandrel, and hit the mandrel with a hammer. The compressed grease will push the bearing out. That might work real swell if I had a perfect 14mm hole in the bushing - but then I wouldn't be replacing it, would I? http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I tried gripping the bearing with channel lock pliers but it's tight. Any ideas?

Scotty
10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Just an update/how-to for those who may care:

Mark the fore and aft sections of the driveshaft so they can be lined up later
Loosen the clamping collar from the aft section
Pull the two drive shaft sections apart
Put the foreward section into a vice (gently)
Using a hacksaw blade, carefully cut a groove into the worn bushing. Stop when you reach the inner wall of the drive shaft
Wedge a screwdriver into the groove and work the bushing loose.
Reach in with a bent-tip tool and hook the inside edge of the bushing
Pull out the bushing.
Clean the recess, coat the inside of the shaft and the new bushing with molybdenum grease
Set the new bushing against the recess, place a 2x4 in front of it, and drive the bushing in with a hammer. Leave 4.5 mm of bushing protruding. Piece of cake. :rolleyes:

mlytle
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Just an update/how-to for those who may care:

Mark the fore and aft sections of the driveshaft so they can be lined up later
Loosen the clamping collar from the aft section
Pull the two drive shaft sections apart
Put the foreward section into a vice (gently)
Using a hacksaw blade, carefully cut a groove into the worn bushing. Stop when you reach the inner wall of the drive shaft
Wedge a screwdriver into the groove and work the bushing loose.
Reach in with a bent-tip tool and hook the inside edge of the bushing
Pull out the bushing.
Clean the recess, coat the inside of the shaft and the new bushing with molybdenum grease
Set the new bushing against the recess, place a 2x4 in front of it, and drive the bushing in with a hammer. Leave 4.5 mm of bushing protruding. Piece of cake. :rolleyes:

bravo!:icon_peac
nicely done!

Scotty
10-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks! Ready for the 100mph test this weekend at Summit. :)