PDA

View Full Version : NCC Nov 11-12 Drivers' School

1996 328ti
08-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Preregistration begins Sept 4.
You can have the form filled out and save it.
You will not be able to submit it.

wsp8
09-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Hi, Steve! Where is the form on the site these days? Wayne Speight

wsp8
09-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Never mind ... found a link in another post and mine's saved from a previous school. Cool! BTW, thanks for all you do for the Club! Seems to me that you're the glue that holds it all together.Wayne Speight

1996 328ti
09-02-2006, 05:50 AM
Isn't the link also in the upper left under Site Navigation?
I could give it it's own block.

Rafgar
09-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Never mind ... found a link in another post and mine's saved from a previous school. Cool! BTW, thanks for all you do for the Club! Seems to me that you're the glue that holds it all together.Wayne Speight
Agreed. Steven occassionally does one or two things for the Chapter.

OK, maybe he does more than one or two things and probably more than just "occassionally". ;)

Just look at his sig line.

Sigfod
09-04-2006, 12:08 AM
I am trying to register and it won't let me? :confused:

1996 328ti
09-04-2006, 06:53 AM
I am trying to register and it won't let me? :confused:
It is now enabled.

wsp8
09-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Steve,

The new link really works! Easy to find and pre-registration takes 30 seconds. Thanks!

1996 328ti
09-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Steve,

The new link really works! Easy to find and pre-registration takes 30 seconds. Thanks!The link was always there. I just moved it to the top. ;)
Next time registration will only take 10 seconds. :biggrin:

People, don't forget, DO NOT MAIL IN YOUR REGISTRATION EARLY.

1996 328ti
09-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Please do not create a new username.
If you forgot your username or password, try this (http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/login.php?do=lostpw).
If you don't recall your email address us the contact us (http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/sendmessage.php) button at the bottom of the page for help.

wsp8
09-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Steven,

Who do I contact to see if my corner worker credits will still apply for the Nov. Driver's School and, if so, how do I handle it when writing the check for the school (enclose a copy of correspondence, etc.)?

Thanks!

D. Wayne Speight

1996 328ti
09-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Steven,

Who do I contact to see if my corner worker credits will still apply for the Nov. Driver's School and, if so, how do I handle it when writing the check for the school (enclose a copy of correspondence, etc.)?

Thanks!

D. Wayne SpeightDoug Verner has the list. NCCDSRegistrar @<hidden> mac.com

wsp8
09-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Okay, thanks!

bogdan
10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
How do we know if we got in?

Sigfod
10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
They will let us know painfully late as usual :tongue:

1996 328ti
10-04-2006, 06:50 PM
You will get an email no later than 3 weeks before the school.
Anyone registering the 1st day should expect to be accepted.

A few weeks are needed for Doug to open the envelopes, get the information updated into the registration database and then our Chief Instructor needs some tiime to make the student/instructor assignments.

They will let us know painfully late as usual :tongue::confused: The policy has been 3 weeks prior to the school.

Sigfod
10-04-2006, 08:28 PM
You will get an email no later than 3 weeks before the school.
Anyone registering the 1st day should expect to be accepted.

A few weeks are needed for Doug to open the envelopes, get the information updated into the registration database and then our Chief Instructor needs some tiime to make the student/instructor assignments.
:confused: The policy has been 3 weeks prior to the school.

That's what I said painfully late :tongue:, you know I am just messing with you? But it would be nice to know earlier so one could make definate plans around it!

1996 328ti
10-05-2006, 01:10 PM
A reminder. There will be two charcoal grills for use by instructors, students and volunteers throughout the weekend.
Food and charcoal is not provided, sorry.

Jenson Button
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Not only does Steve do a ton for the chapter, he takes being teased like a great sport. Thanks again Steve!

Sigfod
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Well some times Roy has to step in and remind him he is being teased. But he is a ver good sport. Look forward to seeing you oth there on the 11th. and 12th. Hopefully in the New Improved Sentra!

1996 328ti
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
We are also going to have another Famous Dave's BBQ.
This time sponsored by Tire Van and a $500 gift certificate will be raffled off.

Gordon arranged this one. :)

1996 328ti
11-03-2006, 08:04 PM
A reminder. Famous Dave's BBQ and the Tire Van will raffle a $500 gift certificate. They will also be there to handle tire needs.

Plus charcoal grills will be available for your use during lunch Saturday and Sunday.

FT
11-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Watch for deer. We had another deer incident this past weekend and had 2 back in August(???); this time was not too bad, but they are definetly out there. BSR really need to do something about this as it is becoming a very serious safety issue IMO.

1996 328ti
11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
BSR really need to do something about this as it is becoming a very serious safety issue IMO.They need to arm corner workers.:icon_2gun
We used to use fireworks in the morning to scare them away but I'll mention it this weekend.

OwnedbyDuncan
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
I counted 9 dead deer on my up to Berryville two weekends ago on the side Rts 50, 15 and 7. My herding instructor said he counted at least 15 yeasterday on his way back to Goldvein.

And blackpowder season started in VA I believe this weekend or on Monday.

Try running loud unmuffled cars first thing in the morning or I can bring some herding dogs and for a small honorarium we run the deer off or herd them.

Hopefully there wont be an early season snow storm Saturday night. Nothing is more fun than coming out from dinner and finding the roads snow covered and driving back to hotel on your track tires up I81.

Anyone remember that one November school at the Jefferson when we had that freak early snow storm.

Dave Apker and the collies

AlfaEric
11-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Watch for deer. We had another deer incident this past weekend and had 2 back in August(???); this time was not too bad, but they are definetly out there. BSR really need to do something about this as it is becoming a very serious safety issue IMO.

They are everywhere. I'm hoping this event (last Friday) might get Montgomery County to be a little more agressive in solving the problem.
http://www.gazette.net/stories/110306/rocknew155404_31976.shtml

---Eric

OwnedbyDuncan
11-07-2006, 01:20 PM
They are everywhere. I'm hoping this event (last Friday) might get Montgomery County to be a little more agressive in solving the problem.
http://www.gazette.net/stories/110306/rocknew155404_31976.shtml

---Eric
We need more predators ie mountain lions wolfs, coyotes etc. If a few young children, lots of cats and small foo foo dogs disappear in the process its worth it. Drove back from Goldvein last night about 600pm and there were lots of yellow eyes in the forest. Die Bambi, die. And less ornamental shubery. Ban azaleas.

Other problem is you cant discharge a weapon in Fairfax County not even a bow.

Maybe the auto insurance companies will sponsor a reintroduction of predators program to help prevent deer/car collisions.

Dave Apker

AlfaEric
11-07-2006, 01:56 PM
We need more predators ie mountain lions wolfs, coyotes etc. If a few young children, lots of cats and small foo foo dogs disappear in the process its worth it. Drove back from Goldvein last night about 600pm and there were lots of yellow eyes in the forest. Die Bambi, die. And less ornamental shubery. Ban azaleas.

Other problem is you cant discharge a weapon in Fairfax County not even a bow.

Maybe the auto insurance companies will sponsor a reintroduction of predators program to help prevent deer/car collisions.

Dave Apker
The predators might effect the sheep population (and herding competitions) in the area. :wink:

---Eric

1996 328ti
11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Hate to go back on topic, but we need someone to pickup two large boxes of t-shirts to bring to the track this weekend. The shirts are in Bethesda. You don't need to be attending the school. Someone who is just coming for the BBQ would work. Just need to be there by noon.

1996 328ti
11-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Looks like we have a volunteer.

OwnedbyDuncan
11-08-2006, 07:00 AM
The predators might effect the sheep population (and herding competitions) in the area. :wink:

---Eric

Thats why you have Llamas or guardian dogs Great Pyrennes, Maramas, Kuvacz or Kommondors(no not the group). Lionel Ritchie couldnt protect anything. Some of the larger herding dogs can also acts as guardians like collies, tervs and mals but a few pyrs is more effective. But the predators should be full from little kids and foo foo dogs like Lhaso Apsos, Toy Poodles, Yorkies etc. Since foo foo dogs cant really do anything being a meal for a predator seems like a good option. We already have coyotes in as close Fairfax and Alexandria in VA. And Eastern Red Wolf was trapped and killed last year in Montgomery County. You usally got your losses to zero with guardian dogs. Best scariest guardian dog I saw was a South Russian Ovcharka they are black to dark gray stand 27in at the shoulders or taller and weigh 175lbs and up according breed standard. The two I saw were both 32in at the shoulder and weighed about 225lbs. Real working dogs.

Bill Scott needs some Scottish deerhounds to control the deer population
and then he could serve venison stew at the track or venison chile.

Although with predators at Summit Point the instructors at the skidpad might need a couple guardian dogs for protection.

Dave Apker and the collies.

FT
11-08-2006, 08:32 AM
btw, only the ambulance drive has a rifle and no one else is allowed to carry fire arms, as I learned. Now how you interpret the ambulance driver having a rifle is totally up to you, you're big boys :D

AlfaEric
11-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Bill Scott needs some Scottish deerhounds to control the deer population
and then he could serve venison stew at the track or venison chile.

Dang, now I'm hungry. :frown:

---Eric

OwnedbyDuncan
11-08-2006, 01:59 PM
btw, only the ambulance drive has a rifle and no one else is allowed to carry fire arms, as I learned. Now how you interpret the ambulance driver having a rifle is totally up to you, you're big boys :D

Less chance of a lawsuit if they shoot the driver and instructor??

Dave Apker

SharkD
11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Now how you interpret the ambulance driver having a rifle is totally up to you, you're big boys :D

It's used to persuade us slow drivers to go faster, right? :icon_2gun

AlfaEric
11-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Dave Apker

I guess he's the guy who keeps offering to put my car 'out of its misery'. :frown:

---Eric

FT
11-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Dave Apker

Have you read the waiver you sign at the enterance lately? :D

OwnedbyDuncan
11-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Waivers please!

And as a former drivers school coordinator for NCC I also know the waiver doesnt stop or prevent lawsuits. If someone were hurt or died as a result of negilience of the dsc or the club then the waiver they sign isn't worth the paper it is written on. They win in civil court. Actually the waiver in many cases is worthless. It doesnt prevent the club or those running the schools from being sued. If the club and those running the school are found at fault then they the plaintiff wins. Check the case law. Also see the case law related to death of Mark Donuhue.

And I ran this by my attorney colleagues here at my office.

I retired from being dsc when President Clinton changed the law and allowed Federal employees wages to be garnished as a result of civil suits.
Risk wasnt worth the reward.

And yes if you leave the waiver in your car and have a big time accident it can decapitate you!

I would rather herd sheep. And yeah I sign a waiver for those too.

ErikT
11-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I guess he's the guy who keeps offering to put my car 'out of its misery'. :frown:

---Eric

BAAAHAAAAHAAA. Super funny (I seriously hope you weren't serious, otherwise you'd think I was a jerk). :)

AlfaEric
11-09-2006, 12:09 PM
And yes if you leave the waiver in your car and have a big time accident it can decapitate you!
Especially if that waiver is taped to a bowling ball. :biggrin:
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/08/mythbusters_killer_tissue_box.html

---Eric

hoyabmw
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM

---Eric

No, Eric, that's everybody that's ever seen you autocross :)

AlfaEric
11-09-2006, 12:24 PM
No, Eric, that's everybody that's ever seen you autocross :)

No, there they offer to put ME out of my misery. :icon_sadb

---Eric

hoyabmw
11-09-2006, 01:39 PM
No, there they offer to put ME out of my misery. :icon_sadb

---Eric

That was talking about the registration stuff...

AlfaEric
11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
That was talking about the registration stuff...
Oh. :frown:

---Eric

1996 328ti
11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Please, keep this related to the Nov driving school.

1996 328ti
11-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Lunch on Saturday will be provided by Tire Van.

Sigfod
11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Please, keep this related to the Nov driving school.
Ok, watch out for Porsches. ESP. Dark Blue ones!:biggrin:

1996 328ti
11-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Ok, watch out for Porsches. ESP. Dark Blue ones!:biggrin:
And ///M Coupes.

BTW- That was pretty cool of TireVan making us lunch on Saturday.
Not to mention the $500 gift certificate that went to Adam Conrad.
Need I remind anyone that Adam also won 4 tires from Radial during our last school? :eek:

Sigfod
11-13-2006, 09:05 AM
And ///M Coupes.

BTW- That was pretty cool of TireVan making us lunch on Saturday.
Not to mention the $500 gift certificate that went to Adam Conrad.
Need I remind anyone that Adam also won 4 tires from Radial during our last school? :eek:
Yes, those pesky ///M Coupes!:tongue: Though I think we all learned something about Porsche stability control.:wink: I also noticed someone was having a blast in the Porsche during the last Instructor's run.
As for Adam I demand a recount! :tongue:

EShott
11-14-2006, 11:37 AM
It was a great school - I really liked the way the club arranged for an all day skid pad on Sunday!

Between Tire Van and the club, I think that I gained 12 pounds on Saturday (all protein though) and it really threw my car out of balance for Sunday.

Thanks to everyone involved for a great 2006 at the track - When do we get the dates for 2007? :biggrin:

1996 328ti
11-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks to everyone involved for a great 2006 at the track - When do we get the dates for 2007? :biggrin:I wouldn't expect to see them for another couple months. Hopefully by January. Our requirements are unique. For the JC and main we need to be opposite clubs and race weekends that don't use the skid pad. We will do 4 weekends again next year though.

BTW I went to sleep Sunday at 8:30 PM and didn't wake up until 7:30 AM.
I felt like crap all day Monday.

Sigfod
11-14-2006, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't expect to see them for another couple months. Hopefully by January. Our requirements are unique. For the JC and main we need to be opposite clubs and race weekends that don't use the skid pad. We will do 4 weekends again next year though.

Sorry! Thanks for all the hard work.

Scotty
11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Word! I had a great time -- my last runs in the rain on Sunday were truly enlightening.

Steven, I extend my thanks to you and the crew. You do a great job. Looking forward to next season.

BTW, I never did get to talk to Bill about getting more help on the corners. We should probably kick it around sometime in the next few months. When's the next social? :)

Sigfod
11-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Word! I had a great time -- my last runs in the rain on Sunday were truly enlightening.

Steven, I extend my thanks to you and the crew. You do a great job. Looking forward to next season.

BTW, I never did get to talk to Bill about getting more help on the corners. We should probably kick it around sometime in the next few months. When's the next social? :)

Yes running in the rain was truly enlightening as was having such a great instructor! I have never that much fun with my clothes on before!

FT
11-15-2006, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't expect to see them for another couple months. Hopefully by January. Our requirements are unique. For the JC and main we need to be opposite clubs and race weekends that don't use the skid pad. We will do 4 weekends again next year though.

Do you know if there is any intention of adding VIR, Watkings Glenn, Mid-Ohio, etc.; tracks other than SP next year Steven?

Sigfod
11-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Do you know if there is any intention of adding VIR, Watkings Glenn, Mid-Ohio, etc.; tracks other than SP next year Steven?
It might be nice to have more than 4 days a year!:icon_dancwell nice for us I am sure it would drive you :icon_craz:icon_craz. I was up till 2:00 AM last night having my Track Car towed to a safe location, things didn't turn out so well for me in that respect:mad:, but at least she is safe now :icon_danc:icon_peac
It is time to:icon_2gun :icon_pist and get to work on the rest of this mess.

1996 328ti
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
We lost our shot for a weekend date at VIR several years ago.
We most likely will be doing the joint school with Audi and M-B in June at VIR. The nice part about that it hopefully it will continue to be back to back with Mazda. :)
You need to do what I do. Join Northern Ohio (or Buckeye), Genesse Valley and Tarheel. First Settlers also run a nice school at VIR.

It might be nice to have more than 4 days a year!Sure, why not 6 weekends? Generally by the time one school ends it's time to begin working on the next. Because of the efforts of our instructors, registrar and Chief Instructor, it looks pretty simple. :rolleyes:

Sigfod
11-15-2006, 01:44 PM
We lost our shot for a weekend date at VIR several years ago.
We most likely will be doing the joint school with Audi and M-B in June at VIR. The nice part about that it hopefully it will continue to be back to back with Mazda. :)
You need to do what I do. Join Northern Ohio (or Buckeye), Genesse Valley and Tarheel. First Settlers also run a nice school at VIR.
Sure, why not 6 weekends? Generally by the time one school ends it's time to begin working on the next. Because of the efforts of our instructors, registrar and Chief Instructor, it looks pretty simple. :rolleyes:
That is what I figured. I knew it was a crazy idea. Do you have any links for those chapters?:rolleyes:

1996 328ti
11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
That is what I figured. I knew it was a crazy idea. Do you have any links for those chapters?:rolleyes:
http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Chapter_Finder&Template=/BMWCCA/CustomPages/ChaptersSection.cfm

FT
11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
...Sure, why not 6 weekends? Generally by the time one school ends it's time to begin working on the next. Because of the efforts of our instructors, registrar and Chief Instructor, it looks pretty simple. :rolleyes:
Local PCA chapter, Potomac, had 11 events in 2006 ;)

And they charge the instructors, and have less members than NCC :D

1996 328ti
11-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Local PCA chapter, Potomac, had 11 events in 2006 ;)

And they charge the instructors, and have less members than NCC :DPotomac had 11 weekends of driving schools by themselves?

FT
11-15-2006, 08:43 PM
yep. What's also amazing is that they only take Porsche's and they seem to always have more than 150 cars each event.

1996 328ti
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
yep. What's also amazing is that they only take Porsche's and they seem to always have more than 150 cars each event.That is pretty amazing considering we have 3 run groups of 20 on the main track. I guess they are putting 40 cars on the track like NASA does. 3 sessions or 4? Skid pad?

OwnedbyDuncan
11-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Having 40 cars or more in your run group on the main circuit at PCA Potomac school makes a big difference in the amount of track time you get and the quality of track time. Also PCA doesnt use the skidpad which I have never understood. Rear engine car and all that especially in the pre electronic nanny days!

NCC's schools weren't always full with a wait list. And didnt always break even or make money for the chapter. It is a tough enough job for the coordinator, chief instructor and registar to put 3 to 4 weekends a year.
Out of the area schools would be even tougher since they would involve either taking Thursday off or leaving after work to get to the Glen, VIR or Mid Ohio. Current Chief Instructor closes his business for two days for chapter's schools! Having Summit Point close by makes the job easier especially on Monday morning! I used to dread Monday mornings after a school as the coordinator.

The costs of renting VIR, the Glen etc are probably significantly higher than the costs of renting one of BSR's tracks. This means you need more students and more instructors which puts a bigger burden on our chief instructor. And the chapter cant afford to lose money.

Not sure what the current situation is with corner workers and whether chapter gets them from BSR or if they are volunteers. Paid corner workers cost money. However there should be a minimum of at least two corner workers per tub. Working a tub alone is not any fun ben there and done that. Weather plays a big part. If there arent enough corner workers than that is what NCC board members are for! And that was my contingency plan when I was coordinator.

1996 328ti
11-16-2006, 07:18 AM
This school is over and anything that is going to be said probably has.
Any further discussion of driving schools in general should have their own thread.

As soon as we have tentative dates for 2007, they will be posted.