PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing tool

Scany
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi guys,

First I should introduce myself: I'm fairly new to the US and BMWCCA / NCC. My name is Anders and I'm from Norway. Moved over to my Am. girlfriend in March 2005. Have owned two BMW's in Norway, E28 and E34. Now I got a 2000 528i.

So to the point; I think I need to change the front bearings on my car. It makes a rythmic sound while driving and starts to vibrate at higher speed (50+ mph). Looking at zdmak.com for the front wheel bearing tool I see that they want almost $270 for it. Which probably puts me equal to getting it fixed at the dealer (but left with no tool). Is there anywhere I can rent/borrow this tool for the DIY project?

If not I think that must be something that the chapter should arrange. I am getting my 32mm and fan clutch holding tool soon and would gladly share my bmw special tools with fellow BMWCCA members. I guess a deposit would certainly seal the deal :)

chicane
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi guys,

First I should introduce myself: I'm fairly new to the US and BMWCCA / NCC. My name is Anders and I'm from Norway. Moved over to my Am. girlfriend in March 2005. Have owned two BMW's in Norway, E28 and E34. Now I got a 2000 528i.

So to the point; I think I need to change the front bearings on my car. It makes a rythmic sound while driving and starts to vibrate at higher speed (50+ mph). Looking at zdmak.com for the front wheel bearing tool I see that they want almost $270 for it. Which probably puts me equal to getting it fixed at the dealer (but left with no tool). Is there anywhere I can rent/borrow this tool for the DIY project?

If not I think that must be something that the chapter should arrange. I am getting my 32mm and fan clutch holding tool soon and would gladly share my bmw special tools with fellow BMWCCA members. I guess a deposit would certainly seal the deal :)

There is booklet put out every other year, (it should be on the National Site) called Friends of BMW which has a list of people (by chapter/area) it lists who has loaner tools. I know there are guys in this chapter that have loaner tools and I am sure someone has this bearing tool.

Scany
08-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you.

bimmer_fahrer
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
I have the B-90 Wheel Hub/Bearing Tool, but I'm not sure if this is the correct tool for your 2000 528i. Do you have a Bentley Manual for this vehicle?

Where are you located?

M-technik-3
08-17-2006, 09:00 AM
I'll be needing to do my rear's here shortly Greg. So I will get ahold of you when I do mine.

Greg

Scany
08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I have the B-90 Wheel Hub/Bearing Tool, but I'm not sure if this is the correct tool for your 2000 528i. Do you have a Bentley Manual for this vehicle?

Where are you located?

I live in Rosslyn, Arlington, VA.

I checked the Bentley manual and I guess the wheel bearing tool is to disasemble the wheel bearings itself.

It seems like all I have to do is to disconnect the control arm with a ball joint puller and then slide the bearing down on the strut to access the bearing. Another special tool, an expander, to open the gap to be able to slide it down on the strut (sorry about the lack of correct words).

Bavarian Auto sells the whole bearing for about $130. So I guess I won't need that bearing tool then. But thanks for the offer :)

I think I'll order the ball joint puller and that expander nut. Shouldn't be more than $30 for each. Will also be necessary for suspension work later.

Talking about tools.. I just received my fan-pulley holder and wrench (1 week too late), if anyone should need to borrow. Also ordered the Friends of BMW list, which by the way seems like a great thing!

David Hicks
08-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Scany, let me know if you ever need a hand. I'm just up the street from you in Courthouse and I have an e39 as well.

Scany
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi David, thanks for the offer! You are definately in the neighbourhood. Same for you, I'd be glad to help if needed. If you just want to meet sometime, I'm up for that too.

I just replaced my front rotors and that helped alot. Just the rear ones left and I think that might cure my problem with vibrations and noises from the wheels. But I'd feel a lot better changing bearings too, even though they seemed fine when replacing the rotors.

mlytle
08-24-2006, 09:07 PM
i am not familiar with the e39 front bearings, but if they are at all like the e30, 36, 46's, the bearing and hub are one unit and you don't need any expensive tools to change the assembly. pretty simple job.

also easy to see if a front wb needs replacement. jack car up, listen for a grunching noise when you spin the wheel. grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to rock it back and forth. any noise or movement and the bearing is bad. you can also check by driving the car in 20-30mph circles with the windows down. if you hear any noises from the front wheel on the outside of the turn, the bearing is toast.

Scany
08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
i am not familiar with the e39 front bearings, but if they are at all like the e30, 36, 46's, the bearing and hub are one unit and you don't need any expensive tools to change the assembly. pretty simple job.

also easy to see if a front wb needs replacement. jack car up, listen for a grunching noise when you spin the wheel. grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to rock it back and forth. any noise or movement and the bearing is bad. you can also check by driving the car in 20-30mph circles with the windows down. if you hear any noises from the front wheel on the outside of the turn, the bearing is toast.

You are right. It's the same on e39. I for some reason saw a wheel bearing tool and figured it was necessary. I imagine that's to take the bearing itself apart. I just hate not having the right tools for a job.

Thanks for the tips on checking the bearings. I am fairly new to doing my own work on my BMW. Two days ago changing the rotors was my first look at a bearing :)

David Hicks
08-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Do you know what the final failure mode is for a wheel bearing? What would happen if you just didn't ever change it?

mlytle
08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Do you know what the final failure mode is for a wheel bearing? What would happen if you just didn't ever change it?
it will start making A LOT of noise. then the brakes will feel soft from the bearing play causing brake rotor to wobble, pushing caliper piston back in too far. eventually it will fail completely when there is enough play for the bearing balls to get out of line or get really hot from the grease escaping. bearing will seize, wheel will stop turning, not good.

to anyone in tune with their car, there are plenty of warning signs before dire consequences occur.

M-technik-3
08-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I have seen a few cases in Germany where the bearing has failed to the point of the hub and brake assy leave the car.

David Hicks
08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I ordered new wheel bearings for my e39 just a few seconds ago. You two have me scared! They've been saying, "wah wah wah" to me for awhile now.

M-technik-3
08-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes but you don't drive 3 hours at 85+ mph.

Scany
08-27-2006, 03:04 PM
I ordered new wheel bearings for my e39 just a few seconds ago. You two have me scared! They've been saying, "wah wah wah" to me for awhile now.

Where did you order them? I might end up doing it too. It would be great if you could post a report on it when you replace them.

David Hicks
08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Pelicanparts.com has them for $107 a side, plus about $20 in new bolts. That was the best price I found, and free ground shipping is thrown in. It takes a week to arrive though, since they're in California.

I'll try to take some pictures and post a report. Or you can come to the Club DIY (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=156,656,0,0,1,0) next weekend a watch me do the job in person.

M-technik-3
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Darn will be flying again that weekend. I hate HG to say the least.

mlytle
08-27-2006, 07:28 PM

make sure you don't just get the bearing cassette. you need a new axle nut, a new inner grease seal and a new outer dust cap to do the job right.

Scany
08-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Pelicanparts.com has them for $107 a side, plus about $20 in new bolts. That was the best price I found, and free ground shipping is thrown in. It takes a week to arrive though, since they're in California.

I'll try to take some pictures and post a report. Or you can come to the Club DIY (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=156,656,0,0,1,0) next weekend a watch me do the job in person.

Sounds like a good deal. I might come out to the Club DIY and say hello and see how it's done.

David Hicks
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
make sure you don't just get the bearing cassette. you need a new axle nut, a new inner grease seal and a new outer dust cap to do the job right.
Hmm. No sign of needing new axle nuts, grease seals, or dust caps in this writeup (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=156,656,0,0,1,0). Maybe the e39 is different?

mlytle
08-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Hmm. No sign of needing new axle nuts, grease seals, or dust caps in this writeup (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=156,656,0,0,1,0). Maybe the e39 is different?

dunno, but..there has to be a grease seal on the inner side of the bearing, and it usually gets bent when you pull the inner race off. the axle nut has a section you punch to keep the nut from backing off...it is not reusable. the dust cap on the outside might be reusable if you are careful, but it is better to have a new one handy.

not sure what write up you intended to point to. the link went to the tech session ad.

i have done a lot of bearing replacements on e30/36/46....i don't start the job without all those parts in hand..i actually keep them all in the race car trailer as ready spares...;)

David Hicks
08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
This was the writeup I meant to link to:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/E39_Bearings.htm

JoelG
08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
dunno, but..there has to be a grease seal on the inner side of the bearing, and it usually gets bent when you pull the inner race off. the axle nut has a section you punch to keep the nut from backing off...it is not reusable. the dust cap on the outside might be reusable if you are careful, but it is better to have a new one handy.

I'm pretty sure all that stuff came in the box with the SKF front hub we put on my car during the 12 Hour.

EDIT: This morning I checked the FAG front bearing I'm currently carrying around as a spare and it does NOT come with a new nut or dust seal. I only bought the FAG because it seemed that the SKF parts were out of stock from every source I use for parts at the time I bought it. I can't make a side by side comparison but my first impression was the FAG bearing is not as well made as the SKF.

I don't think anyone needs to freak out about losing a wheel because of a failing bearing. We ran 2 stints during the 12 Hour with an obviously failing front bearing without any problems. The bigger problem with running a failing bearing is that the bearing race will weld itself to the stub axle long before you lose a wheel. At that point you are looking at replacing a LOT of parts.

Joel

mlytle
08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
This was the writeup I meant to link to:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/E39_Bearings.htm

ahhh! the e39 bearing replacement is a completely different process than the one for e30/36/46! it bolts on vs the 3 series press on. actually looks easier than for the 3 series....