PDA

View Full Version : ABS light and sloppy shifter

gnhovis
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Two unrelated issues: I have an '87 325i Convertible (168k+ miles) that I've had for a grand total of about 9 days and trying to sort out some gremlins. The first is the ABS light. The ABS light stays on and as best I can tell ABS is disabled. What's the best way to go about troubleshooting the issue? I don't have any blown fuses. I've been told that starting in '87 there was a separate control module for ABS. Is that true? Is it up under the glovebox near the ECU? What do I look for at the wheel sensors?

The second issue is about a sloppy feeling in the gear selection. There isn't much tension on the lever to keep it in neutral and once in gear there is quite a bit of movement within the gate. If not careful, it's too easy to go from 3rd to 2nd when you are trying to upshift to 4th. Is there anything I can do to tighten it up or replace worn bushings from within the cockpit or is this a "sort it out when you drop the tranny to replace the clutch" sort of thing? And while I'm at it, just get a short shift kit... Would a short-shift kit replace all the parts that are causing the sloppiness?

Any help appreciated.

AlfaEric
07-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Two unrelated issues: I have an '87 325i Convertible (168k+ miles) that I've had for a grand total of about 9 days and trying to sort out some gremlins. The first is the ABS light. The ABS light stays on and as best I can tell ABS is disabled. What's the best way to go about troubleshooting the issue? I don't have any blown fuses. I've been told that starting in '87 there was a separate control module for ABS. Is that true? Is it up under the glovebox near the ECU? What do I look for at the wheel sensors?

The second issue is about a sloppy feeling in the gear selection. There isn't much tension on the lever to keep it in neutral and once in gear there is quite a bit of movement within the gate. If not careful, it's too easy to go from 3rd to 2nd when you are trying to upshift to 4th. Is there anything I can do to tighten it up or replace worn bushings from within the cockpit or is this a "sort it out when you drop the tranny to replace the clutch" sort of thing? And while I'm at it, just get a short shift kit... Would a short-shift kit replace all the parts that are causing the sloppiness?

Any help appreciated.
ABS light - If someone has incorrectly jump-started the car, it will fry a small relay attached near the top of the ABS control unit. Under the dash, left of the steering wheel. I guess this is pretty common because some people have soldered a fuse holder in there.

Sloppy gear selection - Probably just some worn plastic parts. The parts are generally cheap but it can be a pain to do it. If you are ever considering getting a short shifter, now might be a good time. :wink: As for if it will come with all the parts needed, I guess that will depend on where you get it from.

---Eric

AlfaEric
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Shift lever replacement instructions. It's for an E36 but it gives you an idea of what is involved...
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/drivetrain/e36_replace_a_shift_lever.html

---Eric

AlfaEric
07-03-2006, 01:44 PM
ABS tips - http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/brakes/all_abs_troubleshooting_tips.html

---Eric

gnhovis
07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
ABS tips - http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/brakes/all_abs_troubleshooting_tips.html

---Eric

Thanks Eric. That's just what I was looking for.

--George