PDA

View Full Version : Stuck oil filter

SharkD
01-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a very stubborn can-type oil filter that's stuck to the block of my '65 Mustang (I know, not a bimmer in the bimmer forums, tsk tsk). I've tried a strap wrench, a cap wrench and the old 'drive a long screwdriver through the filter as a handle' method, all to no avail (I was admittedly gentle with the last method, for fear of shearing the filter in half and being even more screwed.):eek:

Any sage advice or nuggets of wisdom? Thanks.

AlfaEric
01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
I have a very stubborn can-type oil filter that's stuck to the block of my '65 Mustang (I know, not a bimmer in the bimmer forums, tsk tsk). I've tried a strap wrench, a cap wrench and the old 'drive a long screwdriver through the filter as a handle' method, all to no avail (I was admittedly gentle with the last method, for fear of shearing the filter in half and being even more screwed.):eek:

Any sage advice or nuggets of wisdom? Thanks.
Are you sure you are turning it the right direction? How about warming it with a blow dryer so the metal expands?

---Eric

Itsa328
01-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I had the same problem with my MG when I found it in a barn. I used some wd-40 around the edge of the filter and used steady even pressure with a strap wrench to get it off. You may try lightly tapping the filter with a wrench to try and get the rubber loose. How long has that filter been on the car?

SharkD
01-04-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm definitely turning it the correct way (counter-/anti-clockwise). I'll try the blow drier & strap wrench combo.

The filter's been on the car since Dec 1998 (it was basically abandoned-in-place in my parent's garage when I left NC to go to college), but the car's only seen about 100 miles in that time. I did make sure that the gasket was coated with fresh oil when I did the oil change mid-sophomore year.

BTW, assuming I get the filter off and the oil changed, anyone looking for a solid '65 convertible 289 2BBL, 3-spd that needs paint and some cleaning? :/

M-technik-3
01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Ebay that sucker and make some money of of it. Or ask Pimp my Ride to do it on some 22"s. LOL

Where in NC thou? I have a friend that fixes older muscle in Fayetteville. He's at no hope Pope AFB.

GStiles
01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a classic car you got there. Do you have any pictures? Not sure I could get the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to buy however :frown:

Growing up my mom was the original owner of a 65 fastback with the 289 4BBL, 200 HP with 4 on the floor. What a great car to learn to drive on, and what I breeze to work on as well.

tgmeyer
01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
... You may try lightly tapping the filter with a wrench to try and get the rubber loose.
That's why a 3 lb maul is called a FORD tool!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Tom

M-technik-3
01-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh but you could as it's a Vert and all ladies like soft tops. I got an E30 Vert for mine last year, now it's awaiting some paint and bodywork work after a brush with a bobcat.

But it's the perfect small family soft top as it doesn't cost all that much to maintain it and insure it for the year.

Itsa328
01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
A bobcat? Geez...