PDA

View Full Version : Local shop for Tire Shaving?

SharkD
10-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks to some bad advice from the staff at Radial Tire (not Paul, though -- he was too busy to talk to me for four straight hours) and a shift in the weekend forecast, I'd like to shave the treads on the RA-1's that I'm going to run on the Jefferson this weekend.

Is there a shop in Northern VA (preferably Arlington/Alexandria) that can shave tires? (Also, can it be done while the tires are on the rim?)

And Radial Tire isn't an option -- I'm never going back to them again after the 4 hour wait (they apparently forgot about my race wheels since they weren't attached to a car, then balanced them incorrectly... twice), rude treatment and the fact that they quoted me a lower price ($134) on the phone and then refused to honor it ($154). (That was my first and last time as their customer... If only tirerack.com sold Toyos...)

woodym3
10-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Dan,
I can't comment on the price mis-quote, but your 4 hour wait beats my personal best of 3 hours. It's part of the hassle some of us put up with sometimes when getting all the benefits of Radial Tire.

Tires HAVE to be on rims to be shaved. I'm not aware of any other shop in the DC area that shaves tires, but you might call Alban Tire south of Springfield.

SharkD
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Woody, thanks for the tip, however Alban Tire (www.albantire.com) doesn't shave treads and, according to them Radial is the only shop in the area that does...

...That said, the forecast has changed again to an 80% chance of "heavy" rain on Saturday. :icon_weir So, I think I'll leave the treads intact; if it's sunny and 90°, I'll just leave the PoS street tires on, to avoid chunking the treads. :icon_omfg

I think, in the future, that I'll be getting my RA-1's from Eric Wong/www.TireSwap.com, shaved or otherwise.

John in VA
10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I think I recall either Craven or Merchant, when they advertised in dB, advertised that they offered tire shaving.

woodym3
10-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Woody, thanks for the tip, however Alban Tire (www.albantire.com) doesn't shave treads and, according to them Radial is the only shop in the area that does...

...That said, the forecast has changed again to an 80% chance of "heavy" rain on Saturday. :icon_weir So, I think I'll leave the treads intact; if it's sunny and 90°, I'll just leave the PoS street tires on, to avoid chunking the treads. :icon_omfg

I think, in the future, that I'll be getting my RA-1's from Eric Wong/www.TireSwap.com, shaved or otherwise.

You'll love the full tread Ra-1s in the rain and even if it's dry, I don't think you'll be chuncking the tires. I've run sticker RA-1s in the dry many times with no adverse wear.

1996 328ti
10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
You'll love the full tread Ra-1s in the rain and even if it's dry, I don't think you'll be chuncking the tires. I've run sticker RA-1s in the dry many times with no adverse wear.I drove from MD to Watkins Glen on brand new RA1s. I had no chunking all weekend if that was the concern.

SharkD
10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
You'll love the full tread Ra-1s in the rain and even if it's dry, I don't think you'll be chuncking the tires. I've run sticker RA-1s in the dry many times with no adverse wear.

Thanks, Woody, that was my concern -- some of the PCA-centric forums that a google search for "shave tread ra-1" made it sound like it was a problem on full tread RA-1s in the dry.

1996 328ti
10-07-2005, 07:27 AM
My Toyo T1S chuncked slightly but not the RA1s.
I ran a brand new 0 mileage RA1 at VIR and Watkins Glen. It wore fine. Just watch your tire pressure. My other tires are at the wear bars so I only have one full thread tire.

SharkD
10-07-2005, 07:52 AM
What pressure do you recommend?

Oh, and the current forecast for tomorrow:
Cloudy with periods of rain. High 66F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Rainfall may reach two inches. Chance of precip: 100%
Anyone have a spare rudder? ;)

Nick325xiT 5spd
10-07-2005, 08:17 AM
I had mild chunking problems with RA-1s in the dry. But I think I had twice the power and nearly a thousand pounds more weight to contend with. :p

SharkD
10-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Probably... I guess I shouldn't really worry about my ~150hp (@<hidden> wheels), 2,704 lb. E30 tearing up these tires, especially given the monsoon conditions expected.

M-technik-3
10-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Not local but prices good? Not sure

http://www.philstireservice.com/

SharkD
10-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Just a little high, but less expensive (not counting shipping) than Radial Tire.

white_2kgt
10-07-2005, 06:56 PM
I've ran Full Tread RA1s all year on a 3400lb 320hp mustang (well they aren't full tread anymore) but I didn't have any problems w/ chunking them. They did get a little hotter w/ the full tread than they do now worn down (and they grip a little better now).

jkuper
01-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Dan, go through Eric...

AlfaEric
01-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Dan, go through Eric...
+1

---Eric

magnetic1
01-27-2006, 07:27 PM
if you buy them new from me (price is competitive)... I can have them shaved for $15/per (more for larger tires).

I can even meet you in Alexandria to deliver.. no waiting time at all ;)