PDA

View Full Version : To Chip or Not to Chip

tgmeyer
08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a 2005 330 CiC and have several questions about addding a Dinan chip [Performance engine Software].
1) By using a Dinan chip, will it void the warranty? [I called a different dealer than mine and asked a service rep. She said "Probably not."
2) Install it myself or go to authorized dealer? [again asked the service rep and of course she implied that the warranty could be voided if I install it myself].
3) Dinan states no increase in HP or Torque but 240 more RPM's, increase throttle response, increased rev-limit, and removal of top speed govenor. Is it worth it? [I noted the same exact claims for the chip the Z4]
4) What is the proper pronunciation of DINAN? di [as in bit]- nan or di [as in Dye] - nan. ????
thanks.
Tom

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-18-2005, 04:25 PM
1) Yes, it will in fact void your warranty. Dinan reports these installs to BMW, and BMW will make it much harder for you to get covered. Dinan provides SUPPLEMENTARY coverage that supposedly substitutes for factory coverage, but this is not the same. It also means that your trade-in value could be reduced as the car will no longer be eligible for CPO.
2) The equipment needed to install it yourself is probably out of your budget. You aren't "chipping" it in the traditional sense, you're reprogramming it. No parts are replaced.
3) Why not get something from someone else, that actually might make power, and which won't get automatically reported to BMW?
4) din-an. Not DIE-nan.

tgmeyer
08-18-2005, 04:32 PM
DAAAAMMMMMM!!!!
Thank you, Nick.

4WDrift
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
3) Why not get something from someone else, that actually might make power, and which won't get automatically reported to BMW?
4) din-an. Not DIE-nan.
www.eurosporthighperformance.com (http://www.eurosporthighperformance.com/)
www.turnermotorsport.com (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/)

DIE-nan, straight from the horse's mouth. :tongue:

jhm5
08-19-2005, 08:54 AM
you'll get all sorts of responses on software topics. 10-15 years ago, software tuners were able to make some real horsepower improvements, but BMW's factory software has gotten very smart, meaning no noticeable horsepower gains from any of the tuners, which is not to say modified software won't feel any different at all.
1- the proper pronunciation is DYE-nan, really!
2- from Mar 03 on, BMW software is encrypted and as far as I've seen, Dinan is the only US tuner who modifies the encrypted software. I believe the brain must actually be sent to Dinan for unlocking, so an authorized Dinan dealer can reflash the software.
3- if you do autocrosses, you might get some benefit from the higher revs, it might allow you to stay in 2nd, avoiding a quick shift to and from 3rd, for example. If you need to go faster than 128 mph, then removing the speed limiter will benefit.
4- it might feel a little peppier, since the throttle will be touchier -- i've seen owners report this, kind of like the sport button on some BMWs.
5- dinan works with bmw dealers. technically, dinan warranties the car instead of bmw. most dinan installers are bmw dealers. obviously if there's an issue, use a bmw dealer that's a dinan installer.

Do it, so you can report back to us on the result.

tgmeyer
08-19-2005, 04:31 PM
the proper pronunciation is DYE-nan, really!
Looks like the pissing contest continues....sorry. I did not mean to open a can of worms.

from Mar 03 on, BMW software is encrypted and as far as I've seen, Dinan is the only US tuner who modifies the encrypted software. I believe the brain must actually be sent to Dinan for unlocking, so an authorized Dinan dealer can reflash the software.

Gotcha. I made the assumption (don't shoot me for that) that a module was actually replaced instead of flashing it.

Why not get something from someone else, that actually might make power, and which won't get automatically reported to BMW?.
Initially, I did not understand this, but 4WDrift cleared it up.

Do it, so you can report back to us on the result. All it takes is $$$$, right? :)

I suppose I should be happy with the performce I get out of this with the SMG tranny. I was just looking for a cheap [compared to the cost of the car] and easy fix for 10-20 more HP.

Any one else have an opinion?

Pinecone
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
And since, so many dealers do such a good job og going to bat for the cutomer when working with BMW NA, I can imagine how helpful they will be in trying to sort out whether BMW NA or Dinan will be covering something. NOT.