PDA

View Full Version : E46 Front Camber Settings

WNNAM3
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Can anyone tell me if its possible to adjust the front camber setting on a e46 without purchasing aftermarket parts?

Thanks,
Dave

AG
06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Can anyone tell me if its possible to adjust the front camber setting on a e46 without purchasing aftermarket parts?

Thanks,
Dave

The strut towers on the E46 are slotted. If you knock out the pin at the top, you should be able to get another 1/2° or so of additional camber.

WNNAM3
06-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks AG, I'll take a look at it tonight and see if I can make out what you are talking about.

-Dave

bren
06-27-2005, 05:27 PM
This should help. http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_camber.shtml

WNNAM3
06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Thats great, thanks.

Dave

WNNAM3
07-08-2005, 07:55 AM
The site was very helpful except that on my e46 330i the pins do not have the hex head so it looks like there is no way to remove them from the top.

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Punch them out. They're fixed in place, so a hammer and a punch or phillips screwdriver will do nicely.

Dirichlet
07-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm looking to buy front wheel adjustable camber plates for my car (E46 323i) - I've heard some recommend ground control, others TMS - Just looking for a little more input on the matter... any help greatly appreciated.

bren
07-09-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm looking to buy front wheel adjustable camber plates for my car (E46 323i) - I've heard some recommend ground control, others TMS - Just looking for a little more input on the matter... any help greatly appreciated.
If you are even remotely concerned with NVH/maintenance then stick with plates with rubber bushings.

TCK plates are monoball (no rubber), GC offers monoball and rubber, Turner has rubber plates also.....any of these are quality parts.

Ernest
07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Looks pretty simple, at the DIY in Manassas today I watched two different people do it in just a couple of minutes (maybe 20?). And, if you don't like it, you can just tap it back to the center and take the 1/2 degree back out.

-Ernest-

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
And if you don't like extra camber, you should be shot. :)

SMOODY
07-11-2005, 09:04 AM
And if you don't like extra camber, you should be shot. :)
Well, I am glad that I will not get shot. :) My car was one of the two to get a little extra negative camber on Saturday.

Punch them out. They're fixed in place, so a hammer and a punch or phillips screwdriver will do nicely.

We ended up using a grinder to elongate the hole for the alignment pin which allowed the shock tower to move the full distance of the slots for the three bolts. The mod ended up being fairly simple once the car was on the lift and the right tools were in hand.

Road testing so far has been very positive. The extra camber has improved the steering response and definitely removed some of the understeer at the limit. The car has a much more neutral feel now.

Tim (the shop owner) cautioned both of us that this will promote pre-mature wear on the inside edges of the tires. Maybe others here who have already done similar modifications can relay how dramatic the tire wear is.

I run the same size tires all around and hope that the extra wear can be minimized with regular tire rotations.

Barry
07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=WNNAM3]Can anyone tell me if its possible to adjust the front camber setting on a e46 without purchasing aftermarket parts?
Thanks,
Dave

WNNAM3
07-11-2005, 01:09 PM
It's one of my daily drivers that I've tracked twice while I'm building another car just for track days and eventual IT racing. I'm fine with it's handling but just want some cheap performance advice - every little bit helps right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Dave

Barry
07-11-2005, 02:10 PM
It's one of my daily drivers that I've tracked twice while I'm building another car just for track days and eventual IT racing. I'm fine with it's handling but just want some cheap performance advice - every little bit helps right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Dave

Dave,
I think you may be getting ahead of yourself. If you've only tracked the car twice, I would assume that you're not a highly experienced driver. If that assumption is correct, I would recommend that you do nothing to your car.
If you're driving the 330 on the track, that car has outstanding handling capability out of the box. I had a 330Ci and I did no mods to the alignment or suspension and the car was a blast at the track. Your car has the Perf Pkg, and that makes it even better. On the track, with good performance tires, these cars do not exhibit any understeer. So, my recommendation is to not change your camber settings. Just work with tire pressures.
Barry

ChosenGSR
07-12-2005, 01:19 PM
BMW claims that the zhp model is has more camber than the zsp

AG
07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
BMW claims that the zhp model is has more camber than the zsp

I believe that the slightly lower ride height of the zhp package gets you the additional camber.

WNNAM3
07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
You are right - the car does handle great for a heavy sedan and I experienced hardly any understeer with the 225/40/17 Falken Azenis tires I use for the track and I don't think adding what amounted to maybe 1 degree of camber will be detrimental to my future driving experiences but I do see your point. The changes are more for the 'tinkerer' in me than anything else.

I would like to know more about regulating tire pressure though.

-Dave

Barry
07-13-2005, 07:29 AM
You are right - the car does handle great for a heavy sedan and I experienced hardly any understeer with the 225/40/17 Falken Azenis tires I use for the track and I don't think adding what amounted to maybe 1 degree of camber will be detrimental to my future driving experiences but I do see your point. The changes are more for the 'tinkerer' in me than anything else.
I would like to know more about regulating tire pressure though.
-Dave

Dave,
I still think it's very premature to be messing with things like camber. With my 330 I experimented with different air pressures. My car had Michelin Pilot Sports. I found that cold psi settings of 35 in front and 42 in the rear worked best. The car had no understeer. Try those and see what you think.
Barry

jhm5
07-13-2005, 09:12 AM
This is an interesting mod which I've considered, but to be done properly, this should be done on an alignment rack. Increasing negative camber will change toe-in, increasing it i believe. For better turn in autocrossing, you'd want minimal toe-in, perhaps slight toe-out.
Just shifting the strutt towers along these slots is not an accurate way to set the camber. It seems to me you at least want to make sure the camber change is still in spec regarding side to side variation.
I also suspect whatever max negative camber this allows, it will not exceed 1-degree negative, which should be fine on the street, not likely to result in excessive tire wear.
After the camber is set, toe should be adjusted.
I suspect these slots are really there to allow some flexibility over the years for keeping alignment near BMW spec allowing for wear and tear and body repair, but it's nice to have some flexibility, however little.

WNNAM3
07-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Let's table the camber discussion for now...at VIR I started with 35psi cold all the way around and there was a 5psi gain on all but one tire (3-4 psi on drivers rear) after each 20-25 min session with no appreciable tire rollover showing. I'll try higher rear pressures next time and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Dave.

ChosenGSR
07-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I've been running 38F 39R on my stock zhp setup at DE/Autox, should I lower the pressure on the fronts?

jhm5
07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
generally speaking, ignoring the factory's conservative recommendation of more pressure rear than front...
less pressure in rear tires compared to front helps minimize the inherent understeer in bmws when pushed hard.
this may vary with different tires. 35 all around is what i use on street -- seems soft for track. and i definitely would not run more in rear... probably 2 pounds less. for autox, 5 lbs less in rear relative to front, so something like 39F, 34R. that might be a bit loose, but fun, if you're not used to oversteer.

Dirichlet
07-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I had some serious sidewall wear from the first autox and driver school this year. I kept upping the pressure hoping it would get better. At the last autox, I was at 45psi on my Michelin PS2's, and still got huge roll-under on my front tires...(http://www.teamwtf.org/index.php?set_albumName=album71&id=NCC_061805_2_075&option=com_gallery&Itemid=78&include=view_photo.php)
That is why i'm thinking of getting camber plates

bren
07-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I've been running 38F 39R on my stock zhp setup at DE/Autox, should I lower the pressure on the fronts?
Don't confuse track setup with autox setup.

ChosenGSR
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't confuse track setup with autox setup.

I am not, I just ran the same setup under both conditions :icon_eyes

ChosenGSR
07-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I had some serious sidewall wear from the first autox and driver school this year. I kept upping the pressure hoping it would get better. At the last autox, I was at 45psi on my Michelin PS2's, and still got huge roll-under on my front tires...(http://www.teamwtf.org/index.php?set_albumName=album71&id=NCC_061805_2_075&option=com_gallery&Itemid=78&include=view_photo.php)
That is why i'm thinking of getting camber plates

I agree, my sidewalls look miserable also...

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-14-2005, 02:53 PM
The only way to avoid sidewall wear is to run 3-4 degrees of negative camber. But I am NOT goign to recommend that to people who haven't got a decent bit of experience.

ob325
07-14-2005, 04:11 PM
I agree, my sidewalls look miserable also...
That's because you chose to skid across the course versus drive it. :icon_mrha

ChosenGSR
07-15-2005, 07:53 AM
That's because you chose to skid across the course versus drive it. :icon_mrha

:icon_pelv