PDA

View Full Version : Watch The Color of Your Urine This Weekend

OwnedbyDuncan
06-24-2005, 05:18 AM
All,

Cactchy title? However it is appropriate for those of you lucky enough to have gotten into this weekend's drivers' school. Temps are forecast to be 90's with heat indexes over 100.

Drink lots of fluids preferrably non caffeinated and non carbonated. Water or sports drinks. Watch your alcohol intake this evening and Saturday.

Drivers Schools take a lot out of you both mentally and physically by Sunday afternoon even on a cool weekend you will feel the effects. So be careful take it easy and drink lots of fluids.

And for those interested your urine should be straw colored. ANy darker and you are becoming dehydrated.

Duncan and I will be herding sheep just down the road in Berryville. Have a big herding trial next weekend.

Have a safe school and dont scare the instructors!:icon_cool

Dave Apker

mlytle
06-24-2005, 11:08 AM
All,

Cactchy title? However it is appropriate for those of you lucky enough to have gotten into this weekend's drivers' school. Temps are forecast to be 90's with heat indexes over 100.

Drink lots of fluids preferrably non caffeinated and non carbonated. Water or sports drinks. Watch your alcohol intake this evening and Saturday.

Drivers Schools take a lot out of you both mentally and physically by Sunday afternoon even on a cool weekend you will feel the effects. So be careful take it easy and drink lots of fluids.

And for those interested your urine should be straw colored. ANy darker and you are becoming dehydrated.

Duncan and I will be herding sheep just down the road in Berryville. Have a big herding trial next weekend.

Have a safe school and dont scare the instructors!:icon_cool

Dave Apker

yeah, what he said! stay hydrated!

but about the color...darker also means you are taking too many vitamins...

Neil
06-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Any advice re: bowel movements?

Neil

AlfaEric
06-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Any advice re: bowel movements?

Neil
That was covered when he wrote "Don't scare the instructors".

---Eric

OwnedbyDuncan
06-24-2005, 05:48 PM
This info used to be included as part of the morning student meeting. Your on your own with your bowel movements. I always looked forward to Sunday afternoons during a hot DS in summer. Taking the track tires off and the street tires back was always the highlight of my DS weekend.

I will be out in hat too in Berryville working sheep. Might stop by and say Walk Up!

Pinecone
06-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Watch excessive use of sports drinks. They should be used in moderation, on the order of 4 - 5 bottles of water per bottle of sports drink. They are VERY high in sodium and sugar. Fine for football, not so great for less active hydration needs.

Basically LOTS of water. If you aren't having to hit the bathroom every so often, drink more.

And since your body can only take in about 4 - 8 ounces every 15 minutes, you need to drink small amounts constantly. And if you feel thirsty, you are already about 10% down on fluids.

SharkD
06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I know it's after the fact, but as a rule of thumb, I try to drink 1 quart of water for every track session, usually more. (1 nalgene bottle (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=60) per classroom + 1 for lunch and 1 for the end of the day generally does the job.)

As corny as it sounds, if you're not urinating at least once an hour, you're probably not drinking enough. And stay away from coffee and sodas for a day or two prior to a drivers' school -- the caffeine will act as a diuretic, making you much more susceptible to dehydration.